What's your favorite workout program?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. lilmissmontana profile image78
    lilmissmontanaposted 11 years ago

I have tried Insanity, P90X, and Nike+Kinect Training. I tried Insanity first and, as I assumed, at the time I was not in good enough shape for this program. Currently I'm using Nike+Kinect Training 5 days a week plus running and weight lifting. I love it because I have to log on everyday and it tracks progress and it is as intense as I want to make it.

What's your favorite program or video? Does it work well? How often do you do it?

1. alexabda profile image60
      alexabdaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The one posted by me. 15 minute workouts. For those who ar ebusy or lazy.

Also check the Body of Spartan by Victor Pride.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

P90X. I do it almost everyday following the order of videos suggested. The results are phenomenal, I look almost like Tony, now.

1. Stina Caxe profile image81
      Stina Caxeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Love P90X as well, I do it every day.  I LOVE Tony. 
      I do have my favorites like Stretch, Ab Ripper and Kenpo.  I hate Yoga and Plyometrics.  But overall it is a great workout!

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate the Yoga, too, but I know how important it is and how great I feel after doing it. Plyo and Kenpo are two of my faves.

Tony's the man!

lilmissmontanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I personally love both yoga and plyometrics. I have been doing yoga for years, and it truly does help me relax. I'm even enough of a geek to buy a soothing yoga CD and light candles when I do it. Haha.

Plus, I can't argue with how flexible I have become.

2. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I heard P90X is awesome, so I have been looking to buy it. I hate going to gyms, but I really need to vary my at home workout.

@lilmissmontana,
      Which is better, P90X or Insanity?

It's really a personal preference. Both are really good and are similar in a lot of ways. I think for a beginner P90X is better because it's not as intense. HIIT training is hard! However, the Insanity workouts are shorter, but you are going to sweat more.

P90X requires more equipment. So it's really up to you. How much time do you want to dedicate to the program? How hard do you want to work? And are you looking to lose weight, or gain muscle?

3. lilmissmontana profile image78

How long have you been doing it? I mean, have you completed the program previously, and are doing it again? I did P90X for a while, but I'm not looking to bulk up. I want to maintain a tight tone figure. Too scared to look like a man =/

I've been at if for over a year, it's become part of my daily activities. P90X is designed for both men and women. The women in the videos are in awesome shape and are not bulked up at all.

1. profile image0

Do you take any time off after the 90 day cycle, or just keep going?

I take short breaks at various times, a day or two at a time, but have not really taken any time off.

P90X is hard, but Insanity is way harder. P90X is set up to work at your own pace, allowing for regular modifications of each exercise to suit most levels of fitness and comfort. You need to devote at least 1 to 1.5 hours a day to the program while Insanity is something like 30 minutes a day, which is more appealing for most people.

Both programs WILL produce results, its just a matter of what pace you can handle.

For example, one video called "Kenpo" is all about punching, kicking, blocking, etc. and various combinations thereof.  It's one of my favorite videos due to the fact that my self defense skills have never been faster or more consistent. Punches and kicks are accurate, technically correct and delivered with strength.

Another fave is one called "Plyometrics" which is all about jump training. My basketball, volleyball, badminton and even hockey skills have vastly improved.

And of course, whenever the opportunity to take ones shirt off in public arises it always produces oohs and aahs. wink

1. profile image0

I ordered P90X, so I should be able to start in a few days. Any advice before I get in over my head? Should I do it six days a week or start slower? What equipment will I need besides the power bands, dumbbells, and a chin up bar?

You shouldn't need any more equipment than that. In fact, the power bands and dumbbells serve the same purpose.

The program is for 90 days, every day. I usually take small breaks, no big deal. Take them when you need them and jump back into the program. My only advice is don't go beyond your personal limits or else you'll get injured. Take your time with the program and ease into it, the results will come. 3 months will go by quickly and you'll be amazed at the end of it.

4. CheckCity profile image60
    CheckCityposted 11 years ago

@A Troubled Man, do you follow the mealplan as well when you do P90X?

Some of it yes, some of it no. I didn't want to be that strict and give up foods I like.

Tony's philosophy on eating foods is that if it takes more than one word to describe a certain food, then you probably shouldn't be eating it.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Walkaton.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I was just getting back into working out/weightlifting when I blew out a knee. I'm having a surgical repair next week, so I hope to be able to return to the gym once I've healed. I guess I don't follow a specific program. When I was working out regularly, I did aerobics 5-6 days a week, worked with upper body and core 3 days a week, and on lower body 2-3 days a week. I often have to force myself to do aerobics - except for the elliptical and arc trainer. I like them, and I love lifting weights.

7. lilmissmontana profile image78

I love lifting weights also. Again, I'm very afraid of bulking up too much, but I do lift smaller weights to tone.

Habee, you are very tough for doing five days of aerobics. I think I would cry. I do three days of aerobics and two days of strength training. I love the way it makes me feel.

8. Fresh Ploon profile image78
    Fresh Ploonposted 11 years ago

Check out my 2 articles on how to build a big chest and how to build big shoulders. These are 2 very detailed hubs for both intermediate and beginner body builders, or if you're just looking to put on muscle in general. I'm also going to be posting articles for building big arms, that wide looking muscular back as well as a leg workout. I do appreciate that my hubs are more for the men in terms of bulking up since most woman just want to get toned, but the workouts can still be used by woman by simply lowering the weight range and increasing the rep range!

Happy iron pumping people! smile

9. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

I got leaner and better abs from P90x and I only do it halfway. It is great and flexible. Core synergistics, shoulders/arms, and of course ab ripper x. I just do 1/2 of ab ripper and got results. Plus, I don't cheat on what I eat. Well, no burgers, but thin crust pizzas and banana/carrot/pumpkin loafs are still in the carousel of foods I eat.

10. lilmissmontana profile image78

So far I've been very impressed by any of Beachbody's products. I don't follow THEIR meal plan, but I do restrict my intake on certain foods and watch what I eat very carefully. P90X is probably one of their best programs. I think Insanity would work wonders, but I just am not dedicated enough to power through some of the sessions. They are brutal, and once I'm to my goal I think I'll give it a go again. Just wasn't the right timing.

11. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

Tony put out P90X2, which is a workout series of videos that goes beyond P09X and is geared towards athletes.

Remember, Tony is in his mid fifties now and is in better shape than most men in their twenties. He is a major role model for fitness.

Btw, you can sometimes pick up the entire series on CL for cheap.

I haven't heard of P90X2 yet but I will have to look into it. I know they are typically pretty pricey. But my body is one thing I'm willing to put money into. By the way, Tony is a BABE! Haha

I picked up the entire program brand new for $60 on CL.

12. lilmissmontana profile image78

Other than what you have, I picked up yoga blocks and an exercise mat because there is a yoga section. But you need a chair and it suggests having a heart rate monitor which I didn't get. I'm saving to buy a Nike Fuel Band.

As far as starting, it's really based on how you feel and what you are capable of. My friend always said, if you don't feel like you're going to puke, you're doing it wrong. I think the more days you do the less time you have to rest and it actually helps your muscles. When I rest for more than one day at a time I feel like crap when I start again. I only do five days a week of my program, but I do three days straight, break, two days straight, break.

Buy some protein powder with a high protein value and low carbs, sugars and fats. Drink it before you workout and it will help rebuild and strengthen your muscles. It has dramatically improved my routines.

I'm not a personal trainer, by any means, but I have been doing it a while. This is how I do my workouts, but again, as long as you put in the time, try your hardest and discipline yourself, you will get results.

Best of luck to you!

1. profile image0

Thank you for the pointers. I'm think I'm ready! lol

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

My Recovery Drink:

In a blender...

- 2 bananas
      - scoop of protein powder
      -2/3 skim milk
      - 1/3 chocolate milk

Yum.

That sounds pretty delicious! I usually try to keep my calorie intake really low so I use skim milk and vanilla protein powder. Get's a little boring, but it's not bad. For some added flavor I will add frozen blackberries or other fruit.

Actually, the chocolate milk provides many of the same things all other recovery drinks possess, specifically the nutrients that replenish what is lost in the workout.

I just mean that I usually only mix my protein powder with water or skim milk. Although the other stuff you add does add nutrients, I like to eat, so I try to save my calories for things I enjoy more than shakes. So my shakes are pretty bland and go down pretty fast.

13. lilmissmontana profile image78

Go get em! I love it!

14. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

I tried the P90x 2 and that's how I got a disk herniation. The yoga was really advanced and I am an athlete. Then again I always had back spasms since my early 20s and had to lie down on hard beds or floors to get better so that probably contributed to it.
    I still think the 1st version is the best. P90x2 seemed to have some crazy inventive exercises. I couldn't take as much away from it a the original, not even the new ab ripper exercises. Well, actually there were some good leg exercises in PAP lower and the core program. The few P90x "plus" videos (which came out with the original) is better than version 2 in my opinion. People will differ on which works best. I can tell you it not a flop or fluke. I don't adhere to the food program but I always eat healthy anyway. When I complained about my lack of good snack foods, my daughter jokingly said I eat just nuts, vegetables and boring foods.

I haven't tried P90X 2. I am working on so many different programs that I don't need to add another one. Right now I'm using Nike+Kinect Training. It's fun and involved, and it's not quite as intense at Insanity. However, I really want to get Insanity: The Asylum. It looks pretty good! Gotta love Tony!

2. thevoodoogirl profile image60
      thevoodoogirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy the 30-day shred, I also go to swimming. I've just started the shred so we'll see how it goes. I am a bit concerned about the strength excercises because I have a hernicated disc, just like SoManyPaths. And I think I got it when I was going to the gym last year so I am really cautious about any trainings yet I need to be doing something.

1. SoManyPaths profile image59
        SoManyPathsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

swimming is a perfect exercise. I still do core strengthening exercises from my physiotherapist from hurting my back every morning. Since your back is weaker you have to be proactive and make it strong. Get a good firm bed, chairs for back support. Do lighter weights (if any).  I thought it was all over. You just have to believe with time it'll be better. It was agonizing not being able to work out full-on for 7 months.Now 14 months later, I am back baby!!

1. thevoodoogirl profile image60
          thevoodoogirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SoManyPaths, you are so right, I can actually feel the core muscles in my back have gotten better from regular swimming. I think believing is a big part of it too. By the way, I have tried J.Michaels 6 weeks 6 pack abs workout. It's a killer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)