Help! New Hubber, trying to sign up as Amazon Affiliate

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. djohns profile image60
    djohnsposted 11 years ago

I tried signing up tonight as an Amazon affiliate, and ended up with an error message telling me that thid program was not allowed in North Carolina!  I've seriously lost an opportunity to make money this way?  Does anyone know why this program is prohibited in a handful of states?  Looks like my only option for making money is with AdSense!

Appreciate any input!

Regards,

DJohns

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your state legislature has decided that your Amazon affiliation means that Amazon has a "physical presence" in the state, which in turn means that Amazon has to collect NC sales tax from any residents buying from them and turn it into the state.

Amazon in return said "Oh no I don't!" and canceled it's affiliation with anyone in NC.  Neither Amazon nor you are alone; there is quite a list of states pulling that scam and there is a long list of companies that canceled out of each of them, leaving their former affiliates without that income.  Thank your legislature for destroying your income with their greed.

djohnsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the feedback, wilderness!  I appreciate understanding the background.  Thanks for taking the time to let me know!  People here, including yourself, seem very helpful, nice, and friendly!  I like that!  dj

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It might interest you to know, then, that the game isn't over yet.  Politicians are beginning to push for a federal law forcing mail order places (Amazon) to collect sales tax for every state.  Amazon is actually on record as supporting this and if it does go through will undoubtedly re-instate their affiliates everywhere.

In the meantime, I've written my state congressmen (Idaho), requesting a vote against any similar state plan and giving reasons.  You might collect some good information and data, showing the plan has resulted in a loss of income to the state, and do the same - you never know what might happen.  Or look around the net for a NC group fighting it - those have sprung up everywhere.

Interesting.  I'll have a look around.  Thanks!

2. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry so much about it. You would have only been making a few cents a month anywyay. Affiliate pay is very very poor.

That's comforting!  smile  Made me feel better!  Thanks, galleryofgrace!  dj

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget you are better off using HP Ads as your main program (well most people are anyway), even though your Adsense income will drop due to the change in Ad ratios. Basically overall you should earn more than if you relied on Adsense alone. Also you can earn from ebay too although it won't be a great deal.

can you tell me where to get more info on HP Ads?  Don't recall seeing it when poking around!  smile  Thanks, misty!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Try this link, and if you want more info just do a site search using the box at the top of your screen for 'HP Ad program' or similar. You have to have an active Adsense account to be eligible for the HP Ads program, but for most people it does make them much more money than relying on Adsense alone. Please just remember that naturally your Adsense income will drop proportionately because most of the Ads shown on your hubs will be HP Ad ones, so when you read people moaning that since they went onto HP Ads their Adsense income has dropped through the floor, it is because they fail to understand that overall they are better off, but that now their income is coming mostly from HP Ads and not from Adsense. You will need a Paypal account in order to get paid from HP Ads.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/earnings-program

thank you so much, misty!

DJ

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

You're very welcome smile

2. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Sorry about the state-to-state differences, djohns! Rest assured there are still plenty of earnings opportunities on HubPages for you. big_smile

Looking forward to that, Simone!  Thanks for the feedback!  smile  dj

3. profile image0
    apimentel33posted 11 years ago

The same thing happened to me. I tried signing up for Amazon in the meantime while I was working on hubs and getting approved for Adsense. I live in Rhode Island and tried signing up and it basically told me the same thing it told you. Figures! It's so unfortunate, especially because we read that others can do very well earning from Amazon.

It kind of makes me more determined to get some more hubs created so that AdSense will pick them up and approve me.  I've been a part of this for a few days now, and have finished one hub.  Haven't published though, until I have at least five ready.  Read somewhere on here that it will improve my chances of getting approved if I have a deeper presence.  Oh well!  We have to move on, right?

1. galleryofgrace profile image70
        galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Djohns: You state that you won't publish until you have at least five ready. Wouldn't it be to your benefit to go ahead and publish what you have so that you can learn any mistakes that you could correct in future hubs.
        Ten or fifteen hubs would be good and enough time for them to settle so google will pick them up.

Thanks for this information!  I had initially thought publishing them as they became ready would be the thing to do.  I must have misunderstood what I read in the forums.  Thanks g!!

2. profile image0
        apimentel33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good idea. I would even try publishing closer to 10 hubs if not more before applying to Adsense. I applied twice before I finally got approved on the third time after having published 10 pubs.

Thanks, apimentel!  That's what I'll do!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)