Hub Topics....

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I wonder if you kind folks would help me decide on whether my proposed new article would be appropriate here, or better done as a series on my blog?

I'm not sure where the line gets drawn between 'generally informative,' and 'purely personal.'   I just underwent knee replacement surgery, and am considering writing about the experience.  I'm not all the way through it yet--only 3 weeks post-op.

Obviously, the article would be from a purely personal viewpoint, but also informative for anyone who's being faced with the same procedure...

Or maybe I should hold off for a year, until I'm back 100%?  Or, by tipping my hand here, someone else who may be further along beats me to it...??? (hoping not...)  wink

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great idea to write about this. My Mum had this surgery a few years back and at the time I contemplated writing about her experience (even to the degree I was tempted to ask permission to film the surgery itself). In the end I didn't do it, but can see how helpful an article from the patient's perspective could be to someone contemplating the same surgery. I would like to say though, you will never be '100%' again. For a start you can't kneel on that knee any more, and also you still have pain and are not fully mobile, it is just a great improvement on how you were prior to surgery. I wish you well in your recovery and for your future hub.

DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I was in a fair amount of pain prior to surgery; and the knee was very swollen and deformed.  Right now, it's tough, as the rehab exercises are painful, as I'm sure your mum can attest.
        However, the doc thinks I should be able to get back to bike riding and maybe even my rollerblading.  Yes, I'm aware about not being able to kneel, but I'm not much of a kneeler, anyway, so no worries there.  ;-) 
        Thanks for sharing your insight.

Yes, Mum did find the rehab and exercises very tough, but she is lot better now (although not pain free in the knee). Main problem these days is the fact she tended to use the other leg more to avoid the pain when she had not yet had the knee replacement, so as a result she now suffers lots of pain in the hip on the opposite side. She also suffers from Osteoarthritis which is exceptionally painful (bones crumbling) and it seems there is nothing apart from painkillers they can do about this.

Yeeks...well, I do know that I hobbled around for years before this was fixed, and tweaked my back as a result of favoring the knee...so a fair amount of back pain both before, and now, as things learn to re-align...

Yep, Mum has the back problem too, and it is complicated by the Osteoarthritis. A recent x-ray did confirm the Osteo was the major problem (not nice at all).

2. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It really comes down to the approach you take! A Hub like "How to Recover from Knee Replacement" or "What it's Like to Get a Knee Replacement" would come off as very informative. Instead of giving a play-by-play of your experience, you can break your work down into informative chunks that can povide readers with the insights that would interest them most. smile

Thanks, Simone!  I'll carefully consider the wording and the inclusions.  Much appreciated advice.

2. findwholeness profile image87
    findwholenessposted 10 years ago

I think it is informative to use on hubpages. Maybe you could do a part 1 and 2? Knee replacement surgery: what to expect in the month following. And then another about life with an artificial joint?

3. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years ago

I think it would be a good piece for HubPages, because even though it would have a personal spin on it, it would also contain valuable information to those who could go through the same thing. Even a couple of the HubPages' Staff have articles about their experience undergoing certain surgeries. I know I would find it very useful.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

I wrote a series of hubs on cataract surgery, with the thought that others would find my experience useful.  However, I included a great deal of information on the surgery, the lens implants, costs, etc. - anything I could think of.  A good deal of research became a part of each hub, although my personal reactions were also there.

That was an attempt to make it more informative rather than purely personal - apparently it worked as HP has not complained and I do get some google traffic.  If you publish your experience on HP, suggest you do something similar.

5. shielamaeparreno profile image65
    shielamaeparrenoposted 10 years ago

I would love to read it myself DzyMsLizzy.. smile  I sure do hope it's not illegal here in HP.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

Its good if your personal experience makes people aware and guides them. It is a good idea to relate your experiences, in part wise series.
    Wish you speedy recovery!

7. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

I think you should go for it. I tried one series of hubs and it's been doing quite well, but with a series things get strange where performance is concerned. My series is <link snipped> and you would think that people would read them in order. However, quite often the 2nd and 3rd parts in my 3-part series rank higher than the others, sort of a roll-of-the-dice effect. So, long story short I don't think there's anything wrong with a multi-hub series, but trying to get readers to read it in chronological order is nearly impossible.

More specific to your idea, if you simply make a custom Group and have only the posts related to your knee surgery under that, at the bottom of each hub people will see the other related hubs and they will be able to hop back and forth the hubs based on their own interests... so utilizing groups this way will at least keep your readers within the same "genre" of your hubs.

Oh, that's a good idea, to make a specific group, say "medical" or "surgeries."  Thanks for that tip.

2. shielamaeparreno profile image65
      shielamaeparrenoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The group is a nice idea. I'm gonna try it myself. Thanks for sharing dellea..

8. profile image0
    2bealiveposted 10 years ago

I think you're on to something dellea. I wrote a series of articles about my surviving a  ruptured brain aneurysm, (not here in the 'HUB' unfortunately) and they received a lot of comments and questions.

I was surprised to learn that there is not that much first hand knowledge out and about on that sort of a brain trauma. People have what you're talking about but do not know where to look for info.  The HUB is a good spot for that.

Luck with your surgery and more luck with recovery.

RT...

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Ok, folks--my Hub on the knee replacement surgery is finished....and published under "Knee Replacement Surgery:  What to Expect."

I thank you all again for your helpful input.

10. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 10 years ago

Give your experience then maybe recommendations on how you should do personal rehab or suggestions...or how you dealt with the pain...or something like that.  That should be okay for hubpages.  Relate your experience to something that is information...even a how to walk again is something informative.  How to's are always good and a lot of people want to know how to something.

Thanks, yupperclub...see just above--already published just today..  wink  I believe it covers much of what you suggest.  wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)