Canadian Prime Minister Comes To U.S. For Surgery

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Harvey Stelman profile image59
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

This is what Obamacare will do to the U.S. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti … rt-surgery

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, we can always go to Mexico-- though it will be a longer trip for the Canadians.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just got done with a hub discussing just about every argument there is (or at least that I can think of) against universal health care, obamacare, or public-option health care.

I tried to approach it from a 'I'm not trying to be a jerk' perspective, but it's surprisingly hard to NOT get mad at the absurdity of government-provided health care.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should try a bit harder.

2. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Harvey, they stated that the procedure could have been done in Canada...I didn't see anything here as a knock against them...

Some of our private hospitals are the best money can buy....and we'll have to see what this guy paid...note that they said that this information was unknown...

The article also used quotes from American pundits, but why would they be relevant at all?  Who cares what they think...

They said that the procedure could have been done in Canada if he wanted to stay there.....but when you have millions of dollars, you may not like to wait in line like everyone else..

Kind've like when I was in the military waiting to get into the chow hall......while the officers and senior enlisted go first....

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, you make some good points for him.
      Kind of reminds me of the people in the "speedy check" line who have a cartful of groceries.. I guess it's OK if you are important.

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Stop! Don't let him in he'll just hit us with a hockey stick and turn us into communists! OH what a world!big_smile

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Well Good On Him!!!

Our PM (NZ) came to the US to appear on the David Letterman Show lol
    Perhaps in the hope that he would qualify for a Greencard. hmm

5. Niteriter profile image60
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

Danny Williams is not the Prime Minister of Canada, Harvey. He is the Premier of a province which is the same as the Governor of a state.

Also, Mr. Williams is a multi-millionaire; he is filling the office of Premier for no pay. That's right, he is governing his province without burdening the taxpayers with a salary for himself which he clearly states he does not need. Do you think it's possible he went down to a US private facility so as not to unnecessarily burden the Canadian taxpayers?

Facts are bothersome things which take up a lot of prating time to uncover.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Other than the fact he is not the Prime Minister of Canada and receives no pay, what fact did you provide?

1. Niteriter profile image60
        Niteriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Tex. Not interested.

1. profile image0

Not interested in what? Providing facts? I didn't think so.

1. Niteriter profile image60
            Niteriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not interested in you. I would be happy to provide facts to someone who is a reasonable person; I don't hink you're a reasonable person. I'm really not very concerned about what you think; I believe your thoughts don't go very deep, based on what you have to say at HubPages.

Have a good night.

1. profile image0

You sure sound interested to me.

2. profile image0

By the way is Hubpages the place deep thinkers go?

6. profile image55
    (Q)posted 14 years ago

I thought Stephen Harper was the Prime Minister of Canada?

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The person in question is a Premier of one of our provinces (kinda like a Governor), not the Prime Minister.

That being said, I've never had to travel to the US for healthcare (I have, upon many occasions, had to wait a long time for 'free' services (I say free because we do pay for healthcare through taxes, obviously)). 

If it was up to me, I would take the longer line ups rather than not going to a hospital at all because I can't afford it.  I think most Canadians would chose keeping, but improving, their system), as flawed as it may be.

On the other hand, on many occasions, I have had to drive to buffalo for some authentic chicken wings.

1. profile image55
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard talk the Canadian system may become two-tiered, is that true?

I had to drive to Guelph to see stove top hats and horse drawn carriages.

1. Greek One profile image63
          Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

depending on the province, yes, that is creeping in.

I've been to Guelph once.... too many horses

7. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

We all know that the real reason the Canadian Prime Minister is coming to Florida for the surgery is so that he can go to the beach afterwards.

8. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

All this illustrates is that a public health care system does not, in fact, eliminate competition.

9. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

Wow!  We seem to have established that the USA is a great place to go for health care if you are a billionare.

What if you have a family and gross 40K and your employer doesn't provide insurance?

What if you had a heart attack 3 years ago, your empoyer laid you off and now no insurer will cover you?

It's the 45 million people without insurance coverage of any kind who are the issue, not foreign billionares. BTW, if you have NO coverage of any kind, you aren't below the poverty level - which means you are working.

We have to measure how well the system works for people who are not healthy or wealthy. Right now by that criteria, the USA ranks # 37. Of course that  study looks at more than how you treat fat cats - it looks at the care (or lack of) for the working poor.

1. profile image0

I had a Heart Attack 5 years ago, Insurance paid for all of the procedures done including a Pacemaker/Defibrillator. Insurance was never raised and I still have it, fear mongering doesn't help your case!

10. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Just think of the $$ thats coming INTO the states from such appointments tongue smile bringing $$ INTO the country is better than $$ leaving tongue

11. Doug Hughes profile image61

Tex - you got a case of athlete's tongue from that foot in your mouth. You had insurance - heart problems and you are alive.

What if you don't have insurance?

Every year 45,000 Americans die for lack of health care because they don't have insurance. That's from a Harvard Study from last year. If you want to dispute it, cite a better source! Or if you think that people who don't have insurance get the same quality care, why do you have insurance?

1. profile image0

You said

"What if you had a heart attack 3 years ago, your empoyer laid you off and now no insurer will cover you?"

Your scenario has the victim with Insurance at the time of the heart attack, right? Then his employer lays him off, right? And then he loses his insurance and can't get anymore because of a preexisting condition, right!

He was always able to take the insurance with him when he was laid off, he could have kept it by paying for it, is it the taxpayers fault he didn't do so?  No Doug, its not!

Tex, you don't know what your're talking about as usual. Many people who try to use their temporary COBRA coverage find that its useless because of exclusions, high co-pays, etc., not to mention those who can't afford to pay the COBRA premiums. The problem with health care goes beyond the 30 million without coverage. Many of those with coverage, when they try to use it, find that their prescribed treatment or drug is arbitrarily excluded or that their policies are cancelled on a technicality--e.g., they forgot to mention they had acne as a teenager on their application. We already have private, faceless "death panels" in the insurance industry. Health insurance companies are parasites. They perform no function that couldn't be better accomplished by a single payer system.

1. profile image0

What exactly am I wrong about? I said that he can take his health insurance with him (COBRA) then you and the other guy start in about how expensive it is. Where did I say it would be cheap? Point is COBRA allows anybody to keep their insurance when they leave a job, don't come whining about how expensive it is, just admit they can keep the insurance!

2. Jane@CM profile image61
          Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are using COBRA - our benefit package DID NOT CHANGE.

12. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

The Canadian Prime Minister better hope that his American doctor isn't a hockey fan.

1. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A hockey fan wouldn't hold a grudge over a great game like that.

13. Doug Hughes profile image61

Tex -

You don't know what you are talking about. COBRA is not a lifetime guarantee of coverage. Generally, you are allowed up to 18 months of coverage - which you have to pay for.

When COBRA coverage expires or you get a job, insurance companies CAN & DO deny you coverage, so for some people a change in job situation becomes a death sentence.

This is one of the things Oboamacare will change.  Insurance companies won't be able to pick and choose customers, rejecting clients more likely to cost them money - and dropping coverage when someone gets a serious chronic (expensive) condition.

1. profile image0

COBRA allows you to keep it 18 months, a year and a half, whats the problem? You mean a company doesn't want to pay for a laid off employees health insurance? roll

In 18 months this person can't find a job? He doesn't need health insurance he needs motivation!

1. profile image52
        bptrposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah RIGHT.   Most jobs don't even pay for Health Insurance because they can't afford to pay the exorbitant rates.   Most people in this country who don;t have health in insurance HAVE JOBS!!!

2. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whats going to hold the cost down? And when it goes up and the working poor can't pay they're share, who pays then? If we we're going to get something in return for our generosity like clean highways and parks. How about our borders protected? Some extra work at our hospitals to hold down the cost?

If we had mandatory national service people could earn they're medical insurance, college tuition and retirement. We have to find real solutions not just throw other peoples money at the problem. If you want change have a plan on how to fund it.smile

1. profile image0

Mandatory National service? You got to be kidding me sneak, how is more government control going to solve any problem. How is mandating something a solution to anything? When has government ever solved a problem?

Never!

2. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"If we had mandatory national service people could earn they're medical insurance, college tuition and retirement."

That would end up costing even more money. Not a good idea.

14. Doug Hughes profile image61

Tex - This is interesting. You tell a lie and get caught and so you tell a different lie. That works if you are Glenn Beck and can contol the oulet but not here.

Regading denial because of a pte-existing condition you said -

"He was always able to take the insurance with him when he was laid off, he could have kept it by paying for it, is it the taxpayers fault he didn't do so?"

Which is dead wrong - Cobra covers you for a max 18 months. When I pointed that out you said -

"In 18 months this person can't find a job? He doesn't need health insurance he needs motivation!"

He needs medical insurance (and a job). But he will die if his heart problem flairs up. It's a real issue and conservatives expect he should go die quietly. Voters need to look at the conservative 'answers' and see they are as compassionate as Auschwitz. But hidden as the Nazi death camps - you tell a lie and then a different one - to evade the true result of the position you have.

15. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 14 years ago

This topic came up on Digg a few weeks ago, and it's really just a distraction and a straw man argument. I don't hear anybody on either side of the debate saying the United States doesn't have great health care for those who can afford it. Foreign heads of state come to our Mayo Clinic when they have cancer. When Magic Johnson was diagnosed with HIV, he went on the best antiviral regimen available, and now the virus is undetectable in his body. The argument has never been that the best care isn't available to those who can pay for it, it's that adequate care isn't available for those who can't pay for it.

It's really easy to say "why should the U.S. taxpayer pay for health care for people who can't afford it?" There's a major problem with that, beside the fact that it seems cold and heartless: it doesn't make economic sense. Americans are paying far too much for health care right now, and the results are devastating. Not only do we suffer by paying more for insurance than we would under a public option scenario (yes, there would be government waste, but don't ignore that where there isn't government waste now there is corporate profits), but we also suffer secondary harm by our peers paying too much for health care. When my neighbor has to declare bankruptcy because of mounting debt due to an illness, that hurts us all. It means the creditors don't get paid, which means those businesses are hurt, which means layoffs, which means those former employees have less money to spend at my business, etc. When we don't take care of the underclass it can create a vicious cycle that devours the middle class and will even hurt the upper class in the long run.

The majority of my economics professors in college were strongly in favor of an Obama-style health care system. In general, government intervention is beneficial in markets where demand is inelastic. Health care is one of the best examples of a market with inelastic demand. When you have a heart attack, chances are you aren't going to shop around at hospitals looking for the best price.

16. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

Glad it was clarified that this is not the Prime Minister.

Probably he is going to the US because it is not an emergency. Our system deals with the the more urgent needs first and those without urgent needs for surgery wait. He probably didn't want to wait. And if he could afford to go elsewhere and pay then why not. One less on the waiting list.

I have never had any issue with our public health care system. Most times it works quite well. Our wait times etc. have more to do with a shortage of doctors.

17. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

To clarify, although our Prime Minister did not recently travel to the US for medical reasons, he did have an operation there a few years ago.

By all accounts, the lobotomy was a complete success

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Somebody must have had a sale on lobotomies recently in the red states.

18. Doug Hughes profile image61

No, FOX was giving out home labotomy kits with the Sarah Palin book.

19. profile image52
    bptrposted 10 years ago

Why are you "conservative" reactionaries so blind to the facts???
    We have a scammer HealthDON'Tcare (MONEYcare) system that only the rich or people with good jobs can afford to have.   40% of our citizens can't even see a doctor and people are dying in the street from Cancer and other diseases because they have no access to Healthcare!!!

The way all you people always react and vote is that if it doesn't directly affect YOU, then there exists no problem

You all are also completely brainwashed by the propaganda sources that simply make up numbers and facts.   Don't you think that huge industries like Big Pharma and the Oil Industry that make BILLIONS in profit would have a vested interest in keeping the general gullible public deluded and brainwashed??    Fox News and millionaire AM radio cult leaders (who simply block all callers who don't blindly follow) serve the industries.  I am certain that they also hire writers to write books and articles with nothing but fake statistics and utter lies.

If the Prime Minister of Canada came here for a procedure, it is because he could afford this scammer system that serves only the well-off and rich.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I must confess that the only corpses I've seen in the streets are from car accidents or other  violence.  Never cancer.

If the rest of the post is of the same caliber of exaggeration, it isn't worth the time to read.  Is it?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Prime Minister of Canada never did go to the US for treatment. It was the former Premier of Newfoundland, who is very rich.

But, yes, most of us are quite happy with our national health care and would never want to give it up.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

this is a really old thread revived....some Canadians do venture south for procedures and they are not necessarily rich....sometimes they get a scare and the system doesn't move quick enough for them...like now....so they decide to head south and waste their money on a procedure they can get here...i figure we live in a world where we expect instant responses...my silly sister comes to mind..........and yes, the PM would never, ever venture outside of Canada for any medical treatment....politics...optics....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)