Earnings dropped

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (37 posts)
  1. srirad0675 profile image80
    srirad0675posted 10 years ago

Hi, my earnings have dropped drastically. From around $4 per day to around $0.50 per day!! This is alarming and I am deeply concerned. I strive to create hubs of high quality and I am looking forward for a long term relationship with HubPages. It is an amazing platform for writers! It would be wonderful if some one from HubPages looks into my account and see if everything is fine. I need help very badly!!! :-(

1. Seshagopalan profile image67
      Seshagopalanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did any your hubs become "not featured" recently because of lack of engagement? This is recently happening in many hub pages for a lot of users.

srirad0675posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have been here for 19 months and have never, ever come close to making the kind of money you are talking about...and I have 122 hubs at the moment.  I, too would like to know how you managed to earn so much, and will also advise that what you are making now is still a very good income for just 26 hubs.  You must have had something go viral?

I write hubs more than 1000 words. Use pictures and videos; include a poll, a quiz and a table.

3. imonline1 profile image70
      imonline1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can see how that would be disappointing since you're used to getting more. I wish I could offer more advice, but I'm new to HubPages, but will say make sure you keep your Hubs updated. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you

4. davidlivermore profile image92
      davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My hits have increased, while my earnings have decreased greatly.  It's a real shame.  If I wasn't being paid for each hub I wrote, I wouldn't be on HP at all.

2. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 10 years ago

I'd like to know how you get $4 for 26 hubs. I write health related, as well as others - and get 0.11 cents at the most  a day. Any help would be appreciated!

I write hubs more than 1000 words. Use pictures and videos; include a poll, a quiz and a table. I promote my hubs on social media websites, especially twitter, regularly.

1. rainsanmartin profile image86
        rainsanmartinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very helpful information. This is the new HubPages model, thankfully I joined after restructuring.

2. rainsanmartin profile image86
      rainsanmartinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great question!

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I've noticed that there has been a decrease lately but it got better this weekend. I'd like to know how you market and promote your hubs to get that much traffic. Who is your audience?

I promote extensively on Twitter. Occasionally on other social media websites.

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

4. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 10 years ago

It could have something to do with the fact that it is summer in the northern hemisphere.  July and August are slow traffic months on the Internet and at HubPages because people in the north are outside doing things or on vacation, and away from their computers.  The concerns about dropping views and earnings were voiced by Hubbers last summer.   This is a good time to work on new Hubs and/or fine tune your existing Hubs.  It sounds like you are off to a great start.  I have rarely made more than $2.00 per day, and I have a lot more Hubs than 26.

1. Janellegems profile image60
      Janellegemsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

that sounds like a logical explanation.  i have noticed my earnings dropping as well.  Maybe after the summer it might get back to normal.

2. srirad0675 profile image80

I ardently hope and pray that it is just seasonal!

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure some of it is seasonal, but with the drop you're seeing, not all of it.  I expect both CPM and traffic to fall during the summer months, but not 90%!

5. srsddn profile image90
    srsddnposted 10 years ago

I am yet to reach that level of earning with 30 odd Hubs but I understand these fluctuations could be seasonal. Also weekends drop is there many a times. I think one needs to observe for a little longer to arrive at any conclusion. It cannot remain constant for ever and fluctuation must be expected. I only hope HubPages will not disappoint you.

I am glad to write on HubPages. :-)

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

It is not summer or weekends.  It is an ongoing Panda penalty.  Look at the Quantcast rankings for HubPages and Squidoo - both content sites both continuing to slide despite their best efforts.

There will be exceptions - some writers continuing to make, or claim to make money.  My traffic continues to drop.  I have improved, revamped, tweaked, researched for the last year.  I am much better than then but my traffic is halved.

Don't take my word for it. Look at HubPages and Squidoo comparison over a long period.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8201562_f248.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image58
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are right. Last time I dropped by Q, I think HP was ranked around 82 to 85 in US traffic. Today I am nonplussed to see us at 97.

Very oddly though, when I just now dropped by Q-RT, the numbers seem a lot higher than I remember them. An estimated month ago I remember the stats as around 5,500 and low teens, but right now I am seeing ~7,500 and mid-twenties.

This could be an interesting week...?

Thanks for the information!

7. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

For the first time in 3 years I have noticed a drop in my earnings.  I really don't have an explanation as I just passed the 500,000 view mark.  It's more than a little discouraging.

8. Adept2012 profile image76
    Adept2012posted 10 years ago

Please like how many page views do you get per day before your earning dropped and how many page views are you getting now that your earning has dropped?

9. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

$0.50 per day is a decent average from so few hubs, telling you from experience. To get so many hits previously indicates that your hubs were viral for awhile, you were lucky that happened. ;-)

10. Dvd Zermeno Perez profile image86
    Dvd Zermeno Perezposted 10 years ago

Hi srirad0675: I just checked your profile and I must say that half of your Hubs are evergreen and the other half are seasonal, depending on the characters or events you're writing about, this means that you will have a secured earning with your evergreen hubs but with the seasonal ones, you are in a gambling position, because they're linked to external events.
    Another recommendation, you are a veteran Hubber with 26 Hubs, but with your promotional ability you MUST write more than 1.083 Hubs a month, as a recommendation you should start writing 1 Hub every week in a year or you should start a Hub Challenge with the help of the HubPages community you can get even more view, opinions, recommendations and reviews, with more Hubs and promotion you will expand your earning, this will begin a reaction for more interest in your writing, leaving you with more views and by the end even more money in your wallet.
    I see that you can write very interesting Hubs, try to support your seasonal Hubs with evergreen Hubs, this will be of great help in the future and you will avoid this drops in your earnings.
    EXTRA: don't feel bad for this month, try your best in writing more Hubs and give more material to your followers and fans, do your best and keep the good job. ADVICE: use that promotional skill that you have in EVERY Hub you write, you have a good social media skill, keep it up and good luck smile

Thank you for useful inputs.

Thank you for your kind encouragement!

11. Tom London profile image41
    Tom Londonposted 10 years ago

Hey fellow hubbers,

Can anyone advise me what actually is "engaging with your hubs"?

Does that mean I have to keep coming back to that hub and edit something on there? If so, what if that's an evergreen hub and there's nothing to be edited on it? How else can I "engage with my hub"?

Thanks!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Engagement has to do with what the reader does with your hub, not what you do, although you can take steps to keep them more interested.

Do they read the hub from start to finish instead of hitting the back button?
      Do they click on the pictures to see them bigger or look at the slideshow?
      Do they click on the ads?
      Do they click on links?
      Do they take any polls or quizzes?
      Do they rate the hub in any way?
      Do they leave a comment?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Millionaire, just bear in mind that's not what "engagement" means on HubPages, in the context of the Featured/unFeatured criteria.  "Lack of engagement" pretty much means lack of traffic.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Right now, if your Hub is unFeatured for "lack of engagement", it basically means it's not getting enough traffic. 

"Engagement" means something different outside HubPages - it's about how long the reader stays on your page, whether they interact with it, share it etc.  HubPages has said that in the future their "engagement" criteria will include some of those things, but right now it's really just number of visitors.

12. profile image86
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

Hi Tom,
                 From my perspective, I only write evergreen hubs. I have been on HubPages for a year now and am starting to "engage with my hubs" or edit them.

The reason for this is that my writing standard has greatly improved in the last year and in addition, HubPages now advise us to have more pictures and other capsules such as polls / maps and quizzes.

To that end, I have been re-visiting all my hubs to bring them up to date both in terms of the writing, presentation and the addition of these new capsules. I believe we are now advised to revisit our hubs every 3 - 6 months to freshen up the content. Hope this helps!

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

13. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

davidlivermore: We aren't paid per hub.  Our income comes from ad earnings and sales.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)