9/11

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Today, America remembers the 12th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and four passenger airplanes that claimed the lives of almost 3,000 people. Did anyone on HubPages witness the attacks or have something to say about them?
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8364551_f248.jpg

1. Hikapo profile image78
      Hikapoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I remember watching it on TV. It was a heart breaking sight.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8364972_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that.

2. suzettenaples profile image87
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

It is so good of you to remember that day in infamy.  I didn't witness any of those places, but I do have friends that lost a husband and son-in-law in the twin towers in New York.  I am remembering them today with tears in my eyes.  Such senseless deaths, but the sacrifice of their lives is heartbreaking.  I also have a friend in DC who's husband worked at the Pentagon, but fortunately that day he was running late that morning, taking the kids to school etc. and wasn't at the Pentagon when it was hit. He turned around and got the kids out of school when he heard what had happened and then the family watched the Pentagon burn from their patio in Arlington.  Sad, sad day.  By the grace of God he was not at the Pentagon when it happened.  Life is so fragile.  It is good to remember all that gave their lives that day.  They are the true American heroes.

3. suzettenaples profile image87
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

It is so good of you to remember that day in infamy.  I didn't witness any of those places, but I do have friends that lost a husband and son-in-law in the twin towers in New York.  I am remembering them today with tears in my eyes.  Such senseless deaths, but the sacrifice of their lives is heartbreaking.  I also have a friend in DC who's husband worked at the Pentagon, but fortunately that day he was running late that morning, taking the kids to school etc. and wasn't at the Pentagon when it was hit. He turned around and got the kids out of school when he heard what had happened and then the family watched the Pentagon burn from their patio in Arlington.  Sad, sad day.  By the grace of God he was not at the Pentagon when it happened.  Life is so fragile.  It is good to remember all that gave their lives that day.  They are the true American heroes.

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your friend in D.C. was indeed fortunate.  I can't imagine what they were feeling as they witnessed the attack on the Pentagon, especially knowing many people who were working there when it happened.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I live in northern New Jersey only a few miles from Manhattan so 9/11 was very close to home for me.

On that particular morning it was my day off from work, so after my wife left for her job I spent part of the morning running around town doing errands ... and I never listen to the radio in my vehicle so at first I had no idea what was going on right across the river. When I got home, I found numerous messages on the answering machine from my wife saying to call her back immediately. When I returned her call, she told me that an airplane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers, so I quickly turned on the TV - just in time to see the plane hit the second tower, live. The rest of the day, naturally, is a bit of a blur. Thankfully I didn't lose anyone close to me that day but I know several people who did.

Present day: my sons' school bus stop is at the firehouse around the corner from my home. This morning while we waited for the bus, we saw the firemen arriving in their dress uniforms to take part in today's 9/11 memorial service in front of our town hall. My sons were both born after 9/11 so naturally they had a lot of questions about today, which I tried to answer as best I could. It still feels strange trying to describe that day to someone who wasn't there.

Sometimes I feel sad that my sons didn't get to experience the world "before."

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't imagine how you explain 9/11 to your children.  It was a watershed event in America and forever changed airline travel throughout the world. This day is a reminder of what just a few terrorists can do.  Now, they have nuclear bombs that can fit into a briefcase – food for thought as Iran goes nuclear.

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The majority of the world is still living in the world before.

5. Angie Martin profile image59
    Angie Martinposted 10 years ago

Wow, what stories there are of loss and survival! I lived in Kansas at the time, so I didn't see it, but I worked for a nursing agency that sent nurses out all over the country. I had just dropped my son off for school (1st grade) and when I turned on the radio after getting back in the car, I heard that a plane hit the second tower. At that time, I had no idea what was going on but soon learned.

When I got to work, our phones rang off the hook with nurses wanting to go there to help. We worked with hospital staffing only, so we had to direct all the nurses to the Red Cross to offer assistance, but it was really heartwarming to hear the voices of so many nurses ready to drop everything and go help.

My son's teacher told them all about what happened, which was pretty upsetting as a parent. I wanted my son to learn from me, not from their teacher. He still remembers his teacher telling him about it (he's now 18). Five years ago, I went to New York for the first time and stared out over the site. It was truly astonishing and overwhelming to see the site where it all started.

6. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

This is a day everyone in this country will remember forever as it so changed the fabric of our national blanket.  We need to keep the blanket tight covering all possible places and people.
    I lost friends in the attack and fortunately my family was spared.  My son did duty at the bombing site for some time after it happened and witnessed sights we never dreamed would appear in our country.
    No one should ever forget just as no one should ever forget any of the wars we have been in, it is what makes America - America.  Our history forms us and influences our future and hopefully we learn from our mistakes and improve on the good things we've learned.
    Each year on this date I pray for all the families so horribly affected by this day.

7. MissMelissaK profile image81
    MissMelissaKposted 10 years ago

I witnessed the attack from two blocks away.  I was working close to the top of the Chase Manhattan building.  I remember that day quite vividly.  The sky was a deep blue when I got off the subway.  I remember walking off the elevator and one of the Partners asking "Are you okay?"  Not knowing what was going on I said "Yes, are you okay?"  Little did I know that the first tower had been hit.  I went directly to the conference room where everybody was crowded into and watched as millions of papers were flying about and you could see smoke coming from the World Trace Center windows and the chatter at the moment was about a small plane hitting the tower from the back.  I went back to my desk shortly thereafter to call my mom to tell her what happened.  As I was talking to her, I heard a large rumbling noise and turned around and parallel with my window was a jet wooshing right by.  It was unreal to say the least!  After a short pause, I heard screams coming from the conference room as you heard the explosion from the second tower as it reverberated against our building.  Boom! Boom! Boom!  At that point, one of the partners yelled "Everybody out!!!"  We all headed for the exit and walked about 50 flights of stairs and then made our way across the Brooklyn Bridge.   I watched the second tower collapse as we walked across the bridge.  The whole day felt like a nightmare.  I will never forget it as long as I live.  The weird thing about that day was the plane that I saw wooshing by my window was not the same plane as mapped out by the media.

8. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

The moderators moved this thread from the other forum, and I just found it again.

I'm really touched by the personal stories here.  This is one of those events that you remember exactly where you were when you heard the news.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)