How do you feel about super villain movies being a possibility?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 10 years ago

As some of you movie buffs know, it's been confirmed by Sony that not only will we get a Venom spin off film (not really that big of a shock), but we'll be getting a sinister six spin off movie as well.   This got me to thinking about a lot of things.

For those wondering who the sinister six are, they're basically a team of six members that are comprised of some of the greatest villains that spider-man has ever faced, and unless my memory fails me, they're brought together for the sole purpose of destroying spider-man. 

I'll be honest, I've always thought doing movies based on super villains from comic books would be interesting, but i never in a million years would've thought any studio would want to do one.  However, as we all know if Sinister Six is a giant hit at the box office, then that's going to open up a lot of possibilities in hollywood to make movies not only about superheroes, but about their villains as well.

Think about it.  If sinister six is a box office hit, then we could get a lot of great movies out of it.  Fans can finally have that loki solo film they've always wanted.  Dr. Doom could have an origin film.  Hell, you can even make a dark tragic love story about how the joker met harley quinn in arkham asylum, as the movie goes over their relationship.  That might be an interesting film to watch, as I'd definitely see that.  wouldn't you? 

Besides at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite because i love superhero movies so much, don't you think they're starting to get old?  I mean think about it.  A lot of superhero movies these days constantly retread and repeat the same damn story narrative archetypes that it's not even funny.  sure, there's a few original ones here and there, but not as many as we'd like to believe.  Therefore if the supervillain sub genre takes off with sinister six, then that'll open up a lot of possibilities. 

What do you guys think though?  Do you hope that the sinister six film will be a hit?  And if it does, then what supervillain movies would you like to see?  Please discuss

1. Paradise7 profile image71
      Paradise7posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, Steven.  I like the good guys to win.  On the other hand, you're so right--the superhero movies are quite predictable.  I think it depends on what happens in the end of the sinister six movie on how well it does.  People really don't want the bad guys to win in any kind of permanent way, I don't think.  And nobody wants good old Spidey to die, do they?

2. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

i would watch the one about the joker.could be an awesome movie. seems like the villain movies could be more dark and less child oriented, which i like. mephisto, doomsday, and bane would all make great movies.

2. vmartinezwilson profile image79
    vmartinezwilsonposted 10 years ago

I love villains.  I think basing a movie on a villain is a smart way for the industry to go. For a viewer, It's all a matter of changing the perspective.  The first villain movie to come out will actually be Maleficent.  If Maleficent is truly the protagonist, then there should be a drastic shift in storytelling.  For that, I'm excited!

3. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

There are already plenty of stories where the villains are a main focus and/or manage to succeed in their goals. Fate/Zero, Megamind, Final Fantasy VI, and Berserk come to mind right away.

This idea is not new.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well to be fair, it's new for the superhero genre of movies.  Megamind technically doesn't count because it had a guy start off as a super villain, but he turned superhero at the end of it, so technically speaking it's a bit different.

2. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

maybe not all that new, but would still be cool to see more of them. especially with some of the more well known villains like joker.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image84
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

While I have to agree with Paradise7, I don't think anyone wants to see Spidey, Superman, etc., to die, I think it would be interesting to see the rise & inevitable fall of the Super villains. Some of these super hero movies do repeat or don't even follow the comic book story line. I'm sure there are people who like the bad guys.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)