From Entropy to Harmony

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (74 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image61
    A.Villarasaposted 9 years ago

We all  have this sense that all changes that occur in nature are accompanied by an increase in dis-harmony or chaos.... basically and fundamentally, the tendency of matter and energy to disperse in disorder. But  what is astonishing about this dispersal is that it can and do generate order or harmony. "Through dispersal in disorder, structure can and do emerge."

It is too much to think or imagine that intellectual creativity is the driver of this process? Or is it, as non-believers in Intelligent Design, puts it, " just plain inconsequential reverie", the product of purposeless incidents and accidents?

1. EncephaloiDead profile image56
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So, which of the tired, old arguments about entropy and intelligent design is this? Is it the "Purpose indicates Design argument? Or, perhaps the "Functional integration indicates design" argument?

Pray tell?

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is too much.  There is no reason to think there is an intelligence behind the birth of yet another grasshopper, for instance, or creation of a salt crystal, even though entropy has decreased.  Why should there be?  Any time energy is involved it is possible to decrease entropy and no intelligence is needed to create a giant salt crystal.  Or a new grasshopper or bacteria.

A.Villarasaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@wilderness:
        The perpetuation of  earthly life, be they sentient or non-sentient, should always be a source of wonder. If some folks find the process of perpetuating life  boringly matter-of-fact, then I assume they go through their own  existence with neither  contention nor introspection of the perplexities and complexities of that existence.

1. wilderness profile image95

It is most definitely a fascinating process, even more so than the formation of crystals, stalactites or the other wonders of the non-living world.

But that does NOT indicate an intelligence behind it.  Neither fascination, wonder or ignorance as to details indicates anything of the sort.

@wilderness:
            Ignorance has nothing to do with it. In fact it is totally put of the picture  if one  understands the second law of thermodynamics, then one  will and must know that order can come from chaos because that law  and all the other laws of physics were directed not willy-nilly but purposely by intelligence.

Order can indeed come from chaos, but there is no indication the cause is an intelligence.  A crystal has very ordered, but no intelligence needed.  Just drying salt water.

Nor is there any indication (outside the unsupported claims of theists, which is hardly to be considered "evidence") that ANY of the natural laws came out of an intelligence.  Unless you consider the Big Bang to be intelligent?

@widerness: If you are implying that these Laws of Physics came to being all by their own lonesome selves, then I  suppose, Stephen Hawkings is right when he said that  the universe was  created by an impersonal God i.e. gravity.

He was of course being tongue-in-cheek, when he said that.

Perhaps Hawking was right, but I suspect we'll never know though our descendants may one day.

2. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, I am not arguing on your reply here, nor intending to criticize,  but can you say what gives you a sense of awe and wonder?  Is everything in the world matter-of-fact, or do you get any excitement from extended imagination?

I find much of nature to inspire awe and wonder.  The magnificence of a Redwood forest.  Niagara Falls.  The boiling pots of Yellowstone.  The volcanoes of Hawaii.  The list is endless.

I also find the details of nature to be fascinating and something that makes me wonder as well.  DNA strings.  The interaction of various species, dependent on each other, such as cleaner shrimp.  The time to make Carlsbad Caverns.  The dinosaurs.  Frogs that can be frozen solid and brought back to life.  The Orion Nebulae, where stars are being born.

Nature is fascinating, and full of awe and wonder.

1. Prodio profile image59
            Prodioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And evolutions of all kinds, kind of assembled all those atoms into where they are now.

Of course.  That's the wonder - how and why did those giant stalactites form?  How could the Hawaiian islands, or the Galapagos, evolve from molten lava to the paradise it is today?  What are the details of the formation of black holes, or even stars?  What is it like deep within the sun?

Why do Hydrogen and Oxygen combine so often to make that substance we need so badly?  What really makes the giant fuzzy ball sometimes seen on a jet at low altitude and how/why is it there?  The mechanics of making the grand canyon certainly make us shake our heads in wonder.  That the deepest canyon in NA (Hells Canyon) was mostly cut in just a few days is fascinating.

We wonder about everything around us and the more we know and understand the more we wonder.  A fascinating place, our universe.

Excellent reply.

What do you suppose (if you would suppose): what mechanism/s are/were behind all these grand and spectacular phenomena?

Chemical and physical made the formations "necessary", or perhaps "inevitable".  No god necessary, just the normal chemical/physical reactions seen everyday.  What makes it so wondrous and fascinating is the time necessary and the beauty produced - not that a god somewhere made "art" for their pets.

@wilderness:
                    Interesting terms: "necessary" and  "inevitable". Both leads to indispensability and vitality, two terms that implies predetermination, that in turn requires intelligence. What is necessary and inevitable could only become necessary and inevitable because it was pre-determined by intelligence that they be necessary and inevitable.

2. Prodio profile image59

How do you know that those things are 'beautiful'?

3. profile image0

Alex, I can see that you have asked a serious question, based upon your reasoning and back-ground of religion/culture/traditional beliefs.   Am I correct here?

Such questions are very common of many humans, from many (possible all) cultures.   I do not know the definitive answer.  I doubt if any of us can find it.   If it's a question relating to infinity then the possible answers are infinite.   

Does it matter, really, whether we can find an answer or not?   We can let our minds imagine all manner of answers, and no one can say in any case that we are "wrong."  If a persons presents a "belief" that I cannot grasp or agree with, I can live with it, provided no one tries to force me into accepting  or admitting the belief to be true.

What matters, ultimately as far as I am concerned, is to respect the opposite view without ridiculing a thoughtful mind set.   When I depart from this moral principle, it's usually because someone is ridiculing ME for some point of view.  Or because there has been so little honest thought and logic presented to back up the belief.  I still can't insist that the belief be dropped.   

What does it mean to be "finite" or "infinite?"   Everything that you and I can be conscious of in this world can be measured is some way.   This is Finite.  Anything that is purely thought without any physical manifestation, cannot be measured.  Yes, sure, the manifestations if any can be measured.  They are finite.  But the thought that caused them is Infinite.   Anything that was able to Intelligently design and create the finite must be infinite.   Rather like the comparison of a carpenter and the table he has created.   The table cannot know the carpenter, but the carpenter can know the table.

Any argument on this will be like "me arguing with my image in the mirror." Endless, ridiculous and pointless, in my humble opinion.

@jonny:
        There is nothing endless, ridiculous, and pointless about introspection, that leads to intuition, that leads to inspiration.

1. profile image0

In our experiences of every-day life, when we admire something that embodies amazing technology, or because it's nature is mysterious to us, it is natural to attribute that wonder and awe to the intelligence and expertise of fellow humans.   At least I do, and I am sure many others do, too.  Admittedly there are some who gloss over such things as "so what?"

So, when it comes to observing and understanding the workings of something like a beautiful flower, or the human body, or the microscopic marvels of a microscopic mite, it is equally natural to attribute these things to some kind of intelligence.   We know that it is beyond the abilities of humans to design and build such things, so we extrapolate the intelligence to a "being" that cannot be seen or touched in any physical way.   It's the only way we can think of that explains complexity in nature.

I personally cannot exclude the possibility of some kind of intelligence.  What that is, I cannot say, because it will essentially be not of this finite world.  It might be accessed somehow via the smaller than smallest particle.  It might form everything rather like a surge of soft jelly moving in to occupy every minute vacancy of space in a matrix of possibilities.  Rather like a 3-dimentional jigsaw puzzle.

Anyway, whatever it is, whatever it's like, it most certainly is not synonymous with the judgmental god of human minds.  That is just the conceptual rubbish used by humans to wield power and control over other humans.  And there are many gullible humans willing to play the game without using their good sense.

+1  Very well said sir.

2. A.Villarasa profile image61

@John:
            You were doing so well until the last paragraph. To paint such a broad inchoately disdainful  stroke on religion and religious beliefs, does nothing to advance the discussion.

1. profile image0

Does the truth hurt? 
              If such religious beliefs were kept personal for the individual, and not presented to the world in such a way as to promote a power base, then there would be no problem.
              My own ideas regarding the theory about creation is personal, open to others whether to agree or not.  I do not insist others agree with me.
              But the theories regarding Sin are pushed in our faces as absolute.

@Jonny: Promoting a power base could only be a successful enterprise if the ideas, ideals, and ideologies being promoted are truthful in their basic and fundamental underpinning. Christ's teachings as propounded via his Sermon on the Mount are the grains of truth that neither atheism nor secularism could and would deny.

1. profile image0

If they are truthful, that is the major point.  So much goes on "belief" which can be regarded as truth but not in actual fact true.
                  We humans have not changed our ways much in 1000s of years.  We still exploit the week, whether physically or mentally.  We still clamour for something "out there" that will relieve us of the reality here and now.
                  Christianity has been and always will be used by those who want power.   And often they will resort to anything less than the truth to push their influence on those who are in any way "anti-."
                  "Truth," for me, is as malleable as Play-dough.  What you want to see is what you see and what you see is what you get.

@jonny:
                    Human imperfections will continue to bedevil and  dishevel  humanity's existence till kingdom come.... as they say, it's the nature of the beast. 
                    But just because  humans have lost their sense of perfection from the very beginning, does not mean that they could not aspire to get it back again. Thus  the validity/veracity  of  JC's teachings about a kingdom that is not of this earth. Oh but I forgot, you are not into any kind of kingdom... spiritual transcendental or otherwise.

4. Paul K Francis profile image85
      Paul K Francisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Entropy is often understood to describe the direction of time. Entropy does not mean dis-harmony, and an increase in entropy in the universe does not need to mean an increase in dis-harmony, and chaos is something else altogether. Harmony and beauty exist in nature. Harmony exists in the connections found in mathematics and science, as well as in creativity and imagination. We use creativity and imagination to ponder many things including whether or not there is an intelligence behind it all.

@Paul:
        As I stated in my OP, Entropy, basically, relates to the tendency of matter and energy to disperse in disorder.

What is infinitessimally  interesting is that this tendency is reversible in biologic systems but not in non-biologic structures. For example, Humpty Dumpty( the egg shell), falling from his perch on a fence and shattering into multiple pieces( state of disorder)  could not, on its own go back to its  original state of non-breakage (order). A bone that breaks (state of disharmony)  when one falls from one's perch on the fence, will on its own heal (state of harmony) and go back to it's almost original shape, and therefore function.

It is this ability of biologic systems/structures  to go against the second law of thermodynamics, that   implies  intelligent design that acts and reacts purposely, not chaotically in some accidental manner.

5. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The source is of course our sun and it's continuous energy. Once it goes out we go out.

@radman:
        Just because the sun will burn out, does not necessarily mean that we should go out with it. As calculated by empiricists, the sun will burn out in about 7.5 billion years or so... more than enough time for humans  to find another solar/planetary  system that they  could inhabit  thus perpetuating  the specie for another 7.5 billion years.

1. profile image0

Can I take a rain-check on that journey?  There might be special offers closer to the time.

2. profile image0

But eventually…

3. EncephaloiDead profile image56

But, that moves in the arena of science... I thought you were against anything scientific?

@Encephalo:
            Science as you must know, could and should only deal with the physical and material. The metaphysical and spiritual are best left to the philosophers and poets.

1. profile image0

....because there is no proof available in the metaphysical and the spiritual.  smile

@jonny:
                If you are looking for physical proof....good luck with that.

Being tethered to the purely physical aspect of existence, will not allow you to succeed in your search for proofs.

1. profile image0

I think it's caused him to succeed. We can imagine just about anything, but without evidence what we imagine is irrelevant.

2. profile image0

Funny how that works. We can't use science to study anything spiritual and yet the spiritual can use science when they see fit.

Maybe it's amusing that you find that to be amusing.

1. profile image0

Funny peculiar or funny ha ha?

You might like to ask the Funny/funny.

@radman:
                Stunning to realize that you believe in the existence of "the spiritual". Jonny is doubly shocked that his fellow atheist totally disagree with him.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image56

I have no problem with that. It is when the so-called "philosophers and poets" (believers) try to tell us their versions of the 'metaphysical and spiritual' are part of reality, while at the same time ignoring and denying the facts of the physical and material in favor of their 'philosophies and poems'.

@encephalo: No one denies or discount the material and physical nature of existence.... except those who believe that existence is the just the figment of their  imagination. On the other hand, some people's imagination may hinder them to connect their physicality with something more than just the sum of their physical parts.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Oh is that what this is.  I was having trouble seeing all that entropy in the booming resurgence of summers foliage and baby birds and animals. So I didn't even really see what the argument was meant to be.

@Encephalo:

Isn't it startling to read that an atheist would use the word pray, in any kind of discussion?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not really, these colloquialisms are rife in out JC society.  You can't eliminate them all without becoming a total pedant.

@Psyche:
      If you did not see or sense what the discussion is all about, then perhaps you should stop rummaging through those falling leaves.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was responding to EncephaloiDead's contribution, and how illuminating I found it.

@Psyche:
          Illumination like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly I found his post densely foggy.

3. kess profile image61
    kessposted 9 years ago

What is then intelligence?

It can only be the ability to transform entropy into harmony and this is the single most defining attribute of intelligence.

How then can those without such an ability be defined?

One thing for certain, is that without such an ability, nothing will ever make sense....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)