Old Movies

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

I miss movies where the emphasis is on people interaction. Happily, I've just discovered an endless supply of them. Old movies.

I especially like those movies where there isn't a main "bad guy". Just a bunch of ethical people successfully solving life's problems.

If you are of a similar mind and happen to remember the title of such a movie, I'd like to know. Doesn't have to be an old one for that matter.

As an example, I just finished watching The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit.

1. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Still love The Philadelphia Experiment, of course that is more of a romantic comedy.

2. Zelkiiro profile image89
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Much like music, the fallacy of "the old stuff was better" is prevalent largely because we don't have the luxury of being able to instantly identify modern classics. In reality, both film and music are better and more diverse now than at any point in their histories, but because the general public doesn't have time to digest them all, they fall back on what AMC or TCM tells them are classics instead of searching for themselves.

Hell, this year we've gotten the best line-up of summer movies in a long, long time (Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Fault in Our Stars, Edge of Tomorrow, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Snowpiercer, Life Itself, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes). And that's not counting outstanding recent films like Pacific Rim, Frozen, The Conjuring, Oculus, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Life of Pi, Cloud Atlas, and so on and so forth.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you bring up a great point, as I couldn't agree with you more.  Plus, if you want to take this conversation even further, then you could say that people will often place too much sentimentality on movies whenever they compare the original to a remake/reboot of something.

Granted, I will agree with most people that the original is often better than the remake/reboot, and they're obviously cash grabs to market off a recognizable brand name.  However, that doesn't mean there aren't some cases where the remake/reboot surpasses the originals.  People often have what I like to call "nostalgia goggles" on original films that they love to the point that even if the remake/reboot turns out to be better than the original in almost every fathomable way possible, then a lot of people will say crap like, "Der...it's not as good as the original!" 

Take the remake for "True Grit" for instance.  I personally think the remake is vastly superior to the original in every possible way, and it presents a more interesting character arc.  A more realistic, and grittier tone.  Whereas the original, it's a great movie for it's time, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it too.  But, we have to face facts here.  At the end of the day, it was still just another John Wayne movie, where John Wayne was being John Wayne.  Sure, he acted different at the beginning being a drunken down old gunslinger, but by the end of the movie, he turned back into the old western hero audiences love.  Hell, even the ending had that feel good John Wayne type ending, where he saves the day and rides off into the sunset.  At least the remake, it had a different kind of ending that wasn't a tired old cliche. 

I personally find it funny that people love to poke fun at how terrible most reboots and remakes can be, but many forget that some of the greatest films of all time were reboots/remakes.  Hell, Christopher Reeves' superman movies are reboots of George Reeves' superman movies, and tv series. 

The Wizard of Oz is technically a remake because there was quite a few silent films about the Wizard of Oz before the 1939 version came out.  Al Pacino's "Scareface" is a remake of  the 1932 film, yet people regard the remake version to be one of the best movies of all time.  Therefore, it's possible for a remake/reboot to surpass the original, as it's already been done before various times.

1. Zelkiiro profile image89
        Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Additionally, one of the greatest horror/thriller films of all time, The Thing, was a remake of the 1956 film The Thing From Another World. Just goes to show sometimes remakes are better.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

'Penny Serenade' with Cary Grant! (I find the best movies at thrift stores… VHS of course.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)