Ugh...stolen work?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 9 years ago

Okay so maybe this is more of rant, seeing that I am still upset but I seriously wish I could add to each of my hubs something like "no part of this content may be reproduced without prior permission from the author." But I am not sure this is allowed at HubPages. If anyone knows the answer to that, please let me know.

So as some of you know, Helium is shutting down. I planned to wait until my articles are out the search engine results, etc and add some improvements to each article and transfer them to the amazing site we call HubPages. The problem I face now is that although some of my articles are off any of the previously published sites, individuals are posting my entire work on their blogger page. This then causes a "duplication" issue here at HubPages, which is irritating because I am a firm believer in not duplicating anyone's work but in this case it is flag for duplicating MY OWN WORK.

Now, I am not complaining about HubPages. It is actually a great feature to protect writers, so I commend it. But in my case it is still quite frustrating.

Yes, I have contact the writer that duplicated my article and yes, I will be taking appropriate actions. But what sucks is that in the meantime, during this lengthy process, I won't be able to make any money from my own work.

I suggest that writers here at HubPages check for this regularly. Maybe set a goal to check on "x" amount of articles each week and rotate yearly, depending on how many Hubs you have.

1. JG11Bravo profile image73
      JG11Bravoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I certainly understand and agree with your frustration here.  Plagiarism is utterly disgusting.  I know there are those that bang out hubs in an hour or two, but I've been known to take 5-6 hours on some of mine, and for someone to just copy and paste my efforts offends my sense of justice to the point of nausea.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much more to do about it than be diligent.

2. Michael Kismet profile image91
      Michael Kismetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is sickening to hear Linda, I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I've only published a handful of hubs, but I put hours and hours into my articles, it's repulsive to think someone can just steal your writing, which is essentially an extension of yourself.  You are totally justified in your frustrations.  Please do keep us apprised of your situation, keep your head up.

-MV

2. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 9 years ago

This person's blog is nothing but copy/paste articles and although she lists the link and the author this is still not good. I am thinking that if all she wants is a collection of articles to share with the world, then create a free website and organize by topics and linking the title. Then I would appreciate the promotion. Just don't copy the whole article!

What's even creepier is she reposts people's Facebook status. Most of them are from celebs and knowing a few celebs myself, I have seen fans with stalker tendencies so it is kind of creepy.

3. msdielise profile image59
    msdieliseposted 9 years ago

Yeah, once I published a hub that I mined from my ezinearticles. I removed it to publish here in HubPages, to my surprise, I received a warning that what I posted is a copied content. I've never been so upset! These content thieves are really annoying, they should be banned!

4. ChristinS profile image41
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Content scraping happens a lot.  It is nothing new and will likely continue, but it's important to fight back.  You can do this by filing DMCA complaints with web hosts and getting offending pages taken down.  If that doesn't work, you can also file complaints with Google to help get their sites removed from search results. 

there are numerous hubs written on the subject of DMCA, Plagiarism etc. I wrote an extensive one awhile back and there have been others who have done this as well.  There is also a section in the learning center I believe on how to do this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)