Question:

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

I thought, when I rejoined, I would just have recipes on this account and maybe I would have a separate account for stories, poems and encouragement pieces (the stuff I enjoy writing). There were times trolls would read my hubs and use my personal info, here on the forum, as some sort of weapon... whatever, but I am wondering if it is a good idea to have separate accounts.

I wouldn't be posting on the forum with the "personal" account and with me not posting my stuff on FB, I doubt I would get a lot of traffic/followers. Maybe it would be better just to write for one account, under these circumstances? I'm not as worried about the trolls, I suppose, but the accounts would be more niche oriented. I'm leaning towards just having it all on one account if I have any chance to rebuild. One stronger account as opposed to two weaker ones. What do you think?

1. bBerean profile image61
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am aware of what you went through.  Those folks know you well enough, that whatever personal account you use, they could likely find it if you share the same information as before.  Still, that just applies to those who already know you.  Lots of new folks are joining, and all the more with Squidoo, so it might be prudent to use a separate account.  Either have your guard up and a very thick skin, or mitigate it with a personal account. 

You know my situation, which currently doesn't really allow me the time to write or participate  here the way I would like to.  If in the future things change, in addition to the interests I pursue on this account I would like to share info of interest to other parents of special needs children.  Dealing with docs, hospitals, difficult choices, remodeling to overcome challenges, etc.  If so, I would definitely do that under a personal account for two reasons. 

First to minimize the crossover, with folks using sensitive personal information against me because they don't like my beliefs or political views. 

Second, without knowledge of political or religious views they may disagree with, I may be able to reach more people with info that could improve their lives, and/or their children's. 

Obviously under both accounts, views regarding abortion and euthanasia would be relevant, as would faith and encouragement.  I would not include intricate apologetics, comparative religion, discernment, etc. though, so for the most part I could avoid controversy on the more personal account.

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let me ask you this: Do ppl without good intentions, have to ability to run around giving your hubs low ratings? Voting them down or whatever? Ive never rated a hub so I don't know how it works. If so, is there anything we can do to protect ourselves from that?

Folks certainly could vote you down and have a negative impact if they had an agenda to do so.  I don't know for sure how the system works, or to what degree this would be a factor, but anytime there is a voting/rating system there is that possibility.  Again, with a separate account it would be less likely, even if detractors are aware of both accounts.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I just doubt I'll ever be able to build up any kind of traffic. It seems like you'd just sort of be like Sandra Bullock in Gravity... just floating around with no connection of any kind... course she had George Clooney for a while so the trade off seems adequate.
            Ok, thanks bB. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but that helps.

2. bBerean profile image61

I would like to expand on my rationale behind this statement, for your consideration.  If someone is opposing you ideologically, their efforts to intimidate, shame, discredit or embarrass you are only understood by others if they direct them to the persona which offends them.  They would gain nothing by going to the trouble of attacking your other persona. 

Only people disturbed enough to be lashing out on a personal level would attack both personas, and these would be the folks who might stoop to petty things like trying to rate your hubs down.  Hopefully those folks are few and far between.  For the most part your personal account should not be influenced by your activity on the other account.

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

It's easier to make payout monthly when you have everything under one account since HP doesn't combine the balances of separate accounts.  And it seems like Google favors a subdomain with lots of articles rather than lots of subdomains with a smattering of articles. The whole stick to a niche thing got overrated, I wouldn't worry about having poems and recipes rubbing elbows.

And you can always adopt a pen name or an SEO-ed username if you want to deter deranged types.

What is this, "payout?"

Can you change names on an account once one is established?

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's not possible to change the username "sed-me" but you can leave the name field blank  or fill it in with something other than your actual name (you wrote "Beth" in yours, maybe that gives away too much). People even use stock photo models for their avatars.  This could be the new you

http://37.media.tumblr.com/1a7e38d76d0d79631117af460f1d0432/tumblr_mwqr9jOXtx1qg3rm7o1_500.jpg
        ( http://womenlaughingalonewithsalad.tumblr.com/ )

You shouldn't have trolly problems with a pen name and fake photo unless you are linking to your personal sites, real FB, etc.

I couldn't use *that photo, it looks exactly like me.

Separated at birth stories are so touching.  I hope you find her, someday.

I thought someone had taken a pic of me eating leaves till I realized there were no croutons on that salad. Plus, and I don't like to brag, but Im pretty sure Im younger and prettier than her.

Actually, I had said if I ever came back, I would not come back incognito the way ppl do when they have been banned or wanted to say terrible things without accountability, so I immediately made it clear it was me. I figured if I ever wanted to post personal stuff, I would do so under a fake name, but not use that account to post on the forum.

I don't think I'll hear from the staff on my tabs idea though. They don't seem to like to respond to me very much. I don't know why, I am young and blond, I thought everyone liked young blond girls.

3. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Dear HPs staff, I have this idea, I think would be cool.

What if we had tabs on our account. One tab for poetry, one tab for recipes, one for how-to etc.

It would have this cleaner look, instead of such a mish-mash. Right now, ppl have to scroll down thru (sometimes) hundreds of hubs, having nothing to do with one another, other than they were published sequentially.

This would eliminate the need for so many duplicate hubber accounts, ppl trying to have niche accounts etc. b/c a reader could go right to the category they were looking for.

It is disconcerting to have a good recipe for fish right above a eulogy to your dearly departed aunt, you know? I love the idea of tabs, what do you think?

What if it was your aunt's favorite fish recipe?

I love the tab idea..sort of like Microsoft One Note.  Might be a chance for a fresh new look and enhanced functionality in conjunction with the Squidoo merger.

Yeah, they already have some sort of way to file them, right? I don't remember what they do with it, but I remember filing them under individual headings. But that has no affect on the look of your page. It just seems like such a big pile the way it is right now.

4. spartucusjones profile image88
    spartucusjonesposted 9 years ago

I ended up starting a second account under my real name (ChrisJBaker). I am in the process of moving some of my more serious Hubs over to that new domain. I made that decision for a couple of reasons. Most of my Hubs were music related (and I also had the odd goofy humor Hub). I felt that the serious Hubs were out of place. I felt those Hubs could potentially perform better on another sub domain. Also I thought having a separate sub domain for those other Hubs could help in establishing a writer portfolio. The name Spartucusjones with a photo of me wearing a wrestling mask and $5 poncho could result in loss of credibility for certain potential writing jobs.

That being said I have a Hub I have written on Speech Impediments that I would love to move to my new sub domain, but all of a sudden it has become my top Hub in terms of traffic. Because I don't want to lose traffic or Google ranking I am stuck with keeping it on this sub domain.

I feel we have had a glimpse inside the mask here Chris. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)