Feature? See the comments section precede the ads and related hubs.

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    julieannbradyposted 9 years ago

I am NOT 100% sure where to post this before anybody jumps on me! I personally would like to see the comments section of a hub precede the ads and the related hubs. It feels like our readers come in to read the information on our hub and then are tantalized by the ads and encouraged by the related hubs to go elsewhere before being prompted to leave a comment.

Personally, when I was designing the layout of my lenses, I liked to put the guestbook before the featured lenses modules so that the reader left their comment and then could visit a related recommended lens.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image93
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I don't think HubPages would give us that option, since the layout/navigation is intended to drive readers to visit other hubs on the same topic. Readers would have to scroll down all the comments before arriving at 'Related Hubs'.

3. SusanDeppner profile image76
    SusanDeppnerposted 9 years ago

Julie, on some of my hubs I'm putting a short sentence at the bottom, before the guestbook, asking for comments or questions "in the guestbook below." I know that doesn't move the related hubs and doesn't completely address your point, but at least it puts the idea of scrolling down to the guestbook in the mind of the reader (who hopefully will comment and then scroll back up).

1. Lionrhod profile image78
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good idea! Going to go back and add this to my hubs.

4. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I agree that the placement of the related hubs before the comments is a little strange. It encourages the reader to leave the page before leaving a comment.

5. Paul Ward profile image68
    Paul Wardposted 9 years ago

As people say, moving the comments block probably wouldn't be envisaged. One small change that might help - HPHQ could move the new comment form to above existing comments.

6. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

A lot of thought and experimentation went into layout design by HubPages over the years.

You really do want the related hubs section to be visible to the reader. It brings you more traffic.

If a reader wants to leave a comment, he or she will make the effort to look for that. But you also want to consider the fact that your hubs will be listed as related hubs on other people's hubs. This is what makes your hubs more successful. It's another source of traffic.

7. profile image0

Yes, peeps, I can see all of your points of view! That's why I thought about this before I posted it -- it's been on my mind for days. wink It's curious, that I see this and maybe other former lensmasters too ... we didn't usually see so many "related" works that were really related. I can remember when Squidoo was testing that by putting those above our content!

I do realize that on the other end, where my hubs are in that position on other people's hubs, it must be working in bringing me more traffic.

So, maybe I should just go fix myself a drink and get over it.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You will receive traffic on the other end.  I don't think any of us were crazy about it when it was first implemented, but it does what it's intended to do.  Enjoy your drink.  big_smile

8. Beaddoodler profile image67
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

I like your suggestion for the layout, but remember that any reimbursement hubs get come from the ads. That doesn't mean that more people will click on the ads, but they do have to scan over them to get to the comments.

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

The hub layout formerly did not have that chunk of ads in between the main content and the comments.

Having it added seemed to negatively impact my most interactive Hubs.

10. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

As RebekahELLE says, none of us were keen on the idea when it was implemented, but that's the kind of thing you face when writing on someone else's site - you can't design it the way you want!

11. Glenda Motsavage profile image69
    Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years ago

Julie,  I totally agree with you!  In fact, it took me a few days after the transfer to even realize that the 'Comments' module moved over.  I got to the Ads and initially didn't scroll down any further.  I realize that as a Hubber we all know where to look for the 'Comment' section,  but someone coming in through the search engines probably does not! 
    @SusanDeppner. I LOVE your suggestion - and will begin implementing it on all new Hubs, and existing ones once I begin the editing process.
    Thanks for posting this question Julie!

12. profile image0

Thankfully, I don't have 810 hubs that I could have had to update with a note in my last text module before the ads and related hubs. I only have 47. So, that is a thought to encourage the reader to keep scrolling through the commercial to the guestbook. So, you get to the big ad at the bottom, then see the ratings area, and then the two thumbnails of your own hubs, then the related hubs and finally comments. I don't know, but I only have gotten a handful of comments and ratings. I think it isn't obvious to the reader. And, I don't think all readers read every thing on a page - they'd probably miss my suggestion to leave a comment at the bottom of the page.

13. SusanDeppner profile image76

Hope the suggestion works for you, Glenda.
    Julie, you can only do what you can do. I'm more interested in clickouts to sales modules than I am about getting comments, but really I try to think like a reader and provide the information that readers need. Some of the strategy, of course, depends on the topic.

14. profile image0

Ah, Susan! I guess I am more interested in providing information and hoping the reader found what they wanted and not really pushing sales or encouraging clickouts. I want to hear from my readers and I used to get more comments ... but it is early ... let's see what transpires! As an aside, I can still remember hearing the phrase, "you must monetize your content."

15. SusanDeppner profile image76

One thing I always told new lensmasters was that people have to go someplace when they're finished reading your lens, so be sure to provide a place for them to go. It doesn't have to be a sales link; an informational link is just as important. Again, depending on the lens topic and purpose.

16. profile image0

Ah, Susan ... I think my readers probably go take a nap after finishing with my articles. wink

17. profile image0

Well, I hope that works for you all; i.e., adding a short sentence at the bottom of your hubs asking for comments down below. I don't think all readers read everything on most hubs, but seem to scan them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)