Is there a maximum amount of content?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Eric Seidel profile image94
    Eric Seidelposted 9 years ago

Hi everybody! Question: Is there a maximum amount of words, images,videos etc. I can put into a Hub before I get some kind of warning message saying "you have exceeded your maximum amount of [images/words/videos] please remove X number of [images/texts/videos] before posting"?

Is there a limit or is the ceiling pretty much limitless? The reason I ask is because I'm working on a Hub that is a little over 10,000 words, and counting, and would like to know if I will need to make a Part 2...

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There's no maximum. Adding a table of contents in a long hub with many sections will help readers navigate it better. Otherwise they may skim to try to find what they are looking for, accidentally pass over it, and then click the back button. Here's a tutorial on how to make one by hand since there isn't a simple TOC capsule you can add

http://darkside.hubpages.com/hub/tableofcontents

There are also page load issues to consider. Text usually loads fine, but a lot of images and video, polls, maps, quizzes etc will make it slower. 

The advantage of splitting a hub into parts is that you can link them to one another and get more page views when readers click from one to the next to the next.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

There is no maximum. But how long do you expect your readers to stay on your hub? I wouldn't go above 1500 words per hub if I want to hold my readers' attention. Maybe you should consider breaking your hub up into several.

3. chateaudumer profile image83
    chateaudumerposted 9 years ago

Unless your hub is really engaging, how many readers will have the patience to read 10,000 words in one setting? I suggest making a part or Episode 2. Just suggesting..

4. Eric Seidel profile image94
    Eric Seidelposted 9 years ago

Thank you everyone, you have all given me a lot to think about. It would be best if I don't keep all of my eggs in one basket. I'll turn my Hub into a series.

Now I just need to figure out at what points I'll break it up. I'll put Part 1 here when the time comes incase you're curious of what I'm working with. smile

1. incomeguru profile image95
      incomeguruposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Break it up using related search friendly title. Then use the hub group to link them together so that your readers can easily navigate. cool

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Phew!  Glad you decided to do that. With 10,000 words, you should aim to break it up into at least five Hubs.   

Rather than looking for "points" to break it up, sit back and minute and think about your topic.

It's very unusual to find a subject that can't be examined from several different angles.   What are the different aspects that apply in this case?   Write them down. 

If you can write each Hub to be fairly standalone, examining one aspect of your subject, it will be far more effective than just breaking up a long article according to length.

1. lisavollrath profile image94
        lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. People will be more inclined to read a 1,200 word article on a very specific area of a topic, rather than dive into a five part series.

Eric Seidelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right now it's 10,000 words and counting.

Something like another Hub I wrote but for the Missions in GTA Online. There are 91 Missions that can be played Solo (plus whatever ones get added with downloadable content in future). I gave it some thought and I think I'll do 30, 31, 30. Or I could do 25, 25, 25, 16 and make it a four part series. I might do the latter....

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You know your audience.  They're looking for quick answers to get on with their game.  You can break those hubs up into specific missions and interlink your other related hubs. I would take a good look at the SERPS for what your audience is looking for.  The first thing that came up in auto suggest when I entered 'GTA' was gta cheats. 'GTA missions' brings up a lot of sites that are going to be hard to top.  You have to make your hubs easy to skim for info and answers that readers need.  Think about what info you have that isn't easily found elsewhere.  Have fun.  Games can bring very good traffic if you do it right.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

I think RebekahELLE is giving you some great advice.  Ask yourself, why would anyone want to read your Hubs? Organise them in such a way that your readers will find what they want easily, rather than having to scroll down endlessly.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Eric:  We cannot put links to our hubs in the forums   http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

The Forums are for discussion, not self-promotional link-posting. We encourage you to avoid posting promotional or irrelevant links, be they to Hubs or external sites in which you have a vested interest. The two places where we do encourage you to post links to your Hubs are in the HubChallenges section and the Improving Your Hub section.

I get the feeling this is an automatic message but I'll reply to it anyway by apologizing for the "self promotion" through posting an example. My bad, sorry.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm still wondering where you've put a link to your hub in this thread ...

I originally had a link to one of my Hubs, but after the admin message I edited that post. I posted a link to my Solo Survival article as an example of what I was going for with my new series.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
            Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LindaSmith1 isn't admin. HubPages staff have an 'H' on their avatar.

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
              LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Never claimed to be Admin.  Simply made poster aware of the fact that we cannot post links of our hubs in the forums and provided the link of where that information is along with copy/paste of the rule found in link I gave them.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Erik: No I added the link and the paragraph that provides the rule.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Jayne: He deleted the post with the link in it.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Marisa:  How do you do that.  I have mine in groups, yet they are not grouped on profile page.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

No, Groups don't have any effect on your profile page.   Very few of your readers will visit your profile anyway, so it's not a big deal.

All that groups do is provide the "previous" and "next" links at the end of the Hub.

When I said "organise", I meant deciding how to arrange the content - how many Hubs to split them into (less than 1500 words is best), what to cover in each, and how to interlink them.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Oh, okay!  Agree on splitting long hubs.  Personally, when I start getting bored, I am gone.   If I wanted a book, I would buy one. I don't want to read one online.

10. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 9 years ago

Make an article out of each type of mission or quest giver.  Ignoring the extreme length, you'll get a much better mileage out of someone searching for a type of mission than out of numerated list of all missions.

For instance (I haven't played the game, but I'm sure you can extrapolate)

Grand Theft Auto 5 Assassination Mission Guide
    Grand Theft Auto 5 Robbery Mission Guide

and so on. 

You're title isn't just a description of what your article's content is. It is figuring out how someone would naturally ask for that question on Google and then giving a clear answer.

11. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I wrote a hub today that was almost 3,000 words. When I got back from grocery shopping, I sat down and cut it into two separate articles. With step-by-step instructions and photography, it was just too long to scroll through! I like it much better now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)