HubPages Weekly Product Tips

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Elsie Hagley profile image70
    Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years ago

After reading the latest HubPage weekly about Amazon and eBay Product Tips, I feel that I should delete all my hubs (lens) that are sale products even though I have been improving them.

This latest Google traffic problem has left me not happy about any sales hubs.

How do you feel about them?

I don't have all sales hubs, have many other articles of interest.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you've got to be careful not to take things to extremes.

Paul Edmondson has explained the importance of using only relevent Amazon or eBay capsules in your Hubs.  That does not mean all Amazon and eBay capsules are evil!!!

Unfortunately the idea that Amazon/eBay capsules are dangerous has become popular on HubPages in recent years and it's rubbish!    Excessive or inappropriate use of those capsules can hurt you in Google's eyes, but there's absolutely no evidence to show they are a problem otherwise.  And besides, if you delete all your capsules you can't make money, and then what will be the point of writing? 

Take a balanced approach and certainly, don't delete any which were making good sales.

Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa, you have put my mind to rest.
        It's been a bit of a shock, the page views have dropped so low, the lowest I have ever seen them.

Maybe I over acted a bit, I felt a little guilty, but I have been having a close look at my hubs and they are not too bad I will continue improving them.

2. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

When I first read your post, Elsie, my first reaction was to say "What Hubpage Weekly?", then I rechecked my emails, and there it was.

I've been editing my lenses to hubs for a while now, and have deleted many product capsules, leaving only a very few that I felt belonged in the hub.

Like you, I'm not happy about the Google traffic problem, or my sales hubs, not that there are many of them.   

I think once I have all my lenses edited and made over to Hubpages style, it will be time to have a very serious look at all of my hubs, and decide which to keep, which to edit severely, and which to delete.

Once this is for sure, we have to do something to improve our results!

I'm like you deleting, my sale hubs, and trying to improve others, but i'm not happy.

I'm thinking of deleting all of them and start writing new ones, not product hubs, wasting too much time and the months are going by too quick.

3. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

Deleting them all may well become an option in the future, but not quite ready for that yet.    I'm well behind on my schedule of editing the lenses, and I'm glad I don't have hundreds of them to do!  :-(

4. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

If your sales hub has never produced a sale, I would say delete it, or completely rewrite it if it gets views. .  If however you have hubs that produce certain product sales, delete those sales capsules that have produced nothing.

I have been doing that, as a hubber.  Some hubs produce sales with just 1-2 products.  Those other capsules that produce nothing get the ax.

Solaras, you have a good point about sales etc.

I have deleted some forty sale hubs I wasn't happy with.
      I still have some 180 Hubs, will continue working with them, they are all good no skulls, broken links etc.

Only not getting much traffic.

5. shellys-space profile image60
    shellys-spaceposted 9 years ago

Elsie: I just deleted a few more Hubs yesterday, as they were not doing well on Squidoo, so I figured it was not worth the trouble to update them. I deleted about 50 lenses before the transfer and placed most on my own websites and traffic is coming on those pages, which most would consider sales, but are in my niche area, so they work on my websites.

Before deleting all sales pages, consider what people are browsing for online. If your Hub is in a  category that is really over-saturated, you might save yourself a lot of work in the future by deleting the Hub, otherwise, you just might be the person who has the item someone is looking for online!

6. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I have wondered about my old Hubs that still have the original eBay and Amazon links to products that were relevant to the Hub.
    Do you folks go back to those old Hubs and bring them up to date with newer products for Amazon?

1. shellys-space profile image60
      shellys-spaceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mary615: During my time at Squidoo (since 2007) I often updated Amazon items, as items may be out-of-stock and that certainly does not help gain a sale. I don't use eBay very much and probably will not add more to my Hubs.

2. Elsie Hagley profile image70

Yes Mary I check the links and bring them up to date with newer products for Amazon?

I'm wondering if the amazon link that was used on Squidoo have been updated to HubPage link in the redirect or do they still have a Amazon/Squidoo link?

As I haven't had a sale since my account was transferred to HubPages that's a month now, before I was making sales every week. It looks as though having amazon links here are not working.

Are other Squids that transferred having sales?
      It would be interesting to know.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Elsie, have you been approved for Adsense yet?   If not, then you can't earn from the HP Earnings Program, including Amazon.

Yes Marisa i have been approved for Adsense.

Don't we earn from Amazon sales sold in our hubs, like we did in Squidoo?

Sorry! I have had a few sales, not many, but it looks hopefulI.
            Have never clicked the Amazon tab, found out something I didn't know.

Thanks Marisa for your question, I was making sure my Adsense ID, was still there, when I saw the tab.
            Have a nice day.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

Are you making sales from those old Hubs?  If yes, don't touch them.  If no, update them.

1. mary615 profile image81
        mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm still getting a few sales, but my better judgement tells me I should update my Amazon links.  That will take a lot of time, but.....

7. BritFlorida profile image70
    BritFloridaposted 9 years ago

The only articles I deleted were the ones that were completely Squidoo-specific and couldn't be re-written.

I hang on to even the poor performers for two reasons. The first is that I've seen poor performers in the past that have suddenly come to life.

The other is that if an article never seems to do anything, I can still use the URL if I do a re-write. For instance, I have one about a certain writer that is currently a Squidoo review format article. The writer's name in in the URL so if I decide to re-write it, I'll make it more about the writer and less about one specific book.

I like to recycle. smile

8. AaronBurton profile image60
    AaronBurtonposted 9 years ago

I think its good to mix it up. Most of my hubs are info based.

9. goodmovies profile image69
    goodmoviesposted 9 years ago

Google doesn't penalize pages just because they have affiliate links. Look at sites like http://thewirecutter.com/ or http://thesweethome.com/ to see the kinds of in-depth product reviews that Google wants to list. Concentrate on bringing your "sales hubs" up to that level of quality.

@good movies: I see what you are saying, there is no info, like 50 words we are required here on HubPages.

I was quite surprised when this text appeared at the top of the page, (as I live in NZ) "Hello. You appear to be visiting us from outside the USA. Please choose which country's Amazon store you'd like to use".

Thank you everyone for your comments, I will leave the rest of my sale products hubs, and just add more information for now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)