What Stands Behind the Word "God"?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)
  1. God shet profile image61
    God shetposted 9 years ago

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11938694_f520.jpg

Suppose you have never seen a tiger cub.  You were born and brought up in a city, while spending most of your time in education and in preparation for your future career. Your only interest is in softwares and in technology.

One of your close friends comes back from 'the Tiger Temple', which is in Thailand. He has fallen in love with tigers and tiger cubs. He shows you the pictures that he took there. His eyes brighten up whenever he speaks about them. You realize an unspeakable love that has grown within him for these creatures. Now here is the thing:  Whenever you hear him sounding the word "tiger cubs" ~ the only image that pops up in your mind is that of some vicious and moving 'multicolored balls of fur' (tiger cubs). You even start to consider your friend a bit mad because he seems to appreciate something which is completely 'invisible' to you ~ in the young members of a brutal species (tigers).

You advise your friend that he should consult a psychiatrist. Hearing this, your friend advises you to visit the Tiger Temple of Thailand.

You spend the first few days observing these little creatures. You ask: 'What is so special about these animals?'. But one day, one of these tiger cubs come to you and fall asleep in your lap. That day, a change takes place inside you. You discover something that you didn't know before. You too fall in love with tiger cubs.

I'm trying to convey a point here. Most people who do not like "God" ~ or dislike the whose issue of the reality of "Its" existence when they hear the word "God" ~ do not perceive the reality that stands behind and connected to that word. "God" is merely a word. But there is a reality behind it, just as there is a reality behind the word "tiger cubs".

It is true that we do not know about this entity ("God") in detail, yet. But it is equally true that human beings are capable of perceiving it up-to a certain extent.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, there is no "temple tiger" and not even a "Thialand".  There is no cub to fall asleep in your lap.  The whole thing is an imaginative but photoshopped picture designed to elicit an emotional reaction in the viewer.

I trust you see the point; there is nothing real about the whole god thing, at least nothing you can show anyone.  You can't even produce that photoshopped picture, but must rely on words and manipulation to convince anyone your god is real.  You cannot show any reality behind the notion, and no one can veritably perceive or experience it - just the emotions you have manipulated them to produce.  What you experience - up to a point - is nothing but your own emotions that ascribe to a god and endeavor to raise in others as well.

God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing real about the love between a human being and a tiger. In the sense that you can't convince anyone about it when they do not want to be convinced about it.

I hope that you see the point:  the existence of the 'Temple tiger', or the existence of 'Thailand', or the reality of 'a tiger cub falling asleep in your lap' ~ doesn't necessarily convince someone of the love and intimate relationship between a person and a tiger cub.

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I don't know; both you and the tiger are quite visible, as are your reactions to each other.  Reactions which indicate love.

But do note that I did not reference your love, just the existence of a make believe entity from another universe.  One person can love another, or an animal, or themselves, or the memory of one that has died, and even an imaginary being.  Love thus isn't in question; just the existence of a god and the claim that it can be experienced or perceived.

"Oh, I don't know; both you and the tiger are quite visible, as are your reactions to each other.  Reactions which indicate love."

~ How do 'reactions' indicate love?

1. Link10103 profile image61
              Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would imagine a person of faith wouldnt have to ask that question.

A new surprise every day...

Sight Required To Believe?

"I read a question earlier today that for some unknown reason compared "God" and "Wind". The poster of the question asked that if people do not believe in god because they cannot see him, why do they believe in wind if they cannot see it?

First of all, I do not need to see wind in order to know it exists because I can feel it. As it turns out however, I CAN see wind, but only under certain conditions (such as a tornado). I can also see the effects of wind on trees, skyscrapers, grass, etc. Even better, I can create wind myself by flapping my hands or waving a small plate back and forth. So even if I were not able to sometimes see wind, I can still see its effects and can even make some myself, but technically I shouldn't think it exists because I cannot see it. That is akin to saying human beings do not exist to blind people because blind people cannot see anything, even though they can clearly feel and hear other people."

http://link10103.hubpages.com/hub/Seein … To-Believe

1. Link10103 profile image61
                  Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wonder if HP would find it a legitimate cause for reporting someone on the grounds of advertising other people's hubs without permission, especially when it has nothing to do with what is being said.

I feel they have enough discretion to figure that out precisely themselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)