Is Asking for Feedback and Polls on Twitter Considered Spam?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Butch Tool profile image75
    Butch Toolposted 9 years ago

If I target tweets with hashtags that are relevant to my articles, is it considered spam to request comments and poll answers on twitter?

I was hoping to get some feedback and signed up for twitter just for that, but wasn't sure if I should tweet with several hashtags in one tweet or use several tweets with varying hashtags...

So, I tried both methods and sent out a bunch of tweets...

Now my tweets aren't showing up under the hashtags I used, and it seems like I've tripped some kind of spam filter or something.

How do I get rid of this, and how do I prevent it from happening in the future?

I didn't mean to be spammy; I just wanted to target several different niches related to SEO.

2. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

There is a lot of information on the web about blocking hashtag spam.
    I have no idea how or if it can be reversed once it has been blocked.

Added:  Could start with a fresh Twitter account.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

The Twitter rules outline what behavior(s) they identify as "spammy."

https://support.twitter.com/articles/18 … tter-rules

4. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

How many non-promotional tweets do you make between promoting your own articles? If your twitter account has been labeled as a source of spam, you could start a new one and provide a better ratio of promotional tweets.

Or, if you only use twitter for business, you could get a business account and your ads will be allowed.

Or do you mean you were replying to other peoples' tweets that used hashtags related to your article topics with links to your articles? That will get you labeled as a spammer mighty quickly because it is spamming and irritating to most people.

Butch Toolposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I was replying to people directly. I just created a tweet and hashtagged relevant words like #SEO and hashtag #keywords. I thought they were relevant enough to my topic to not be spammy, but it seems that Twitter didn't like it.

2. Butch Tool profile image75

I didn't realize there needed to be a ratio of non-promotional vs. promotional. I assume this is essentially how many tweets have a URL vs not?

However, since I only just started on Twitter...

How do I make non-promotional posts that don't make my profile seem unprofessional? If I put my random personal thoughts on twitter under the same profile as where I am trying to get serious reviews of my work, won't that make me seem less professional and legitimate when someone follows me?

5. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Spamming is a SEOno!

Yes, but the question is where is the line?

I wasn't spamming a Justin Bieber forum randomly, I was hashtagging topics that shared relevance with my article.

I think my mistake was more in hashtagging too much in one post at first then thinking I needed to fix it by sending out several of the same format with the hashtags labelled separately.

6. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

I just read on twitter recently an article about etiquette. One of the rules of etiquette was not to have more than 3 hashtags per tweet. And 3 is pushing it.

So it is preferred to have 3 hashtags in one tweet, then? I started out with several hashtags, but then thought I might need to do each tweet with one hashtag.

So, I repeated a couple tweets with different words hashtagged in each. I think that did me in and set off their spam filter or something, though.

There's a learning curve to everything, I guess.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image83
        Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Butch - I believe Jan meant that 3 hashtags is pushing the limit, not that it is preferred to have 3 per tweet.

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

Oh. OK.

I think I need to just ease into Twitter more gradually. I thought I would just get it done and send to all the relevant topics at once, but it seems it is better to just do a tweet here or there with just one or two hashtags.

I'll try to do that and be more patient in the future.

Thanks everyone.

1. colorfulone profile image79
              colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There you go, patience. It takes time.

2. viryabo profile image95
          viryaboposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

1) By using Twitter to share relevant, timely, interesting and useful material.  This takes time and effort, which is another way of saying it takes work.

2) It probably will.  That's why most people have separate Twitter accounts for their personal and professional lives, or they just don't include random personal thoughts in their business account because that sort of material isn't relevant anyway.

If you don't understand how Twitter works, you should probably learn how before you continue, unless you do best with trial and error.

Five rules of Twitter etiquette,
    http://www.businessknowhow.com/internet … quette.htm

Complete Guide To Twitter Etiquette,
    http://mashable.com/2013/10/14/twitter-etiquette/

I am definitely going to review this info when I get a chance. Thanks.

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

I found the tweet about etiquette. It took some searching through my account, hope it helps:
    http://barnescreativestudios.com/dont-l … -tweeting/

Thanks. Twenty tips should probably be enough to teach this old dog some new tricks.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, Butch Tool. It took this old gal a minute to get, too. And I'm still learning, as we all continue to be works in progress as things change.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)