Evolution of the eye

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (44 posts)
  1. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 9 years ago

Eyes supposedly evolved over millions of years in stages. If mutations are random, how likely is it that each new part "randomly" evolved in the exact spot it needed to be in to make the eye work?

And for each type of eye, this supposedly happened multiple times independently. That's even MORE unlikely.

Same goes for birds. How likely is it that the same type of animal just happened to evolve feathers, lightweight bones, wings etc, enabling them to fly? Unlikely.

How do you explain these things?

1. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's because it's nonsense.  Let's see how a hawk survives without 20/20 vision.  It would be a disaster. 

I think the idea of this evolution is more absurd than believing in intelligent design.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Start with a flying squirrel (that doesn't actually fly at all).  Gradually turn it into a bat.  Then add a few feathers and tail.  More feathers, lighter bones.  Pretty soon you have a bird.

Now I know it didn't happen that way, but it might be an indication of how things evolve.

janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I get that. What I don't get is how things always evolve right where they need to be. New eye parts evolve where they need to be to enhance vision. You don't see corneas evolving on your liver or your elbow. Where do you see a cornea and a lens evolving? Right where they need to be to make vision possible.

Same with flight. feathers evolve on animals that eventually evolve into birds, along with hollow bones and wings.

1. mishpat profile image61
          mishpatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Its all a reasoning process on the part of the creature.  For instance, the firefly at one time did not have a "headlight" and kept bumping into trees.  After considering the issue, it decided it would either have to fly during the day or evolve with a headlight.

That's cute, but something is obviously going on that has nothing to do with random mutations. And it's not God, so there has to be something else.

3. wilderness profile image95

Take your "unlikely" and multiply it by millions of years.  Then multiply it again by billions or trillions of gametes each year.  Suddenly it isn't so "unlikely" at all.

Then we should have had plenty of time to evolve corneas on our noses, right?

Why did corneas evolve independently multiple times, and always on the eye?

1. wilderness profile image95

Who says they DID evolve only on the eye?  Maybe there was a cornea on the nose, that nature found to be counter-productive in the race to reproduce.

Don't forget that while mutations may be random, the long term results and reproduction of those mutations most definitely is NOT.

Creatures get what they need to adapt to their environment. A bacteria needs to be able to digest sugar, the right mutation happens to make that possible. A bacteria needs to swim faster, it evolves more tails to swim faster. Same for higher animals. It's even predictable, there are studies showing this.

No, creatures get whatever the forces of mutation give them.  Ever seen a two headed calf?  A person with but one arm?  Not sure, but think the very first hemophiliac was a queen of England.  Mutations don't care what it is, it just happens.

Your bacteria may have mutated to have tails in the front.  A bird may mutate back to heavy bones. 

Whereupon the forces of evolution take over and the bad mutations die out with the positive ones surviving to reproduce.  The bacteria and bird die without ever passing the mutation along, and we never see it.

How are mutations random if they are predictable?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/15/scien … .html?_r=0

You will never be able to predict the next mutation (unless you cause it via GMO).  But it is probably possible to predict that sometime in the next million or so gametes one will survive with this or that mutation that is "clearly" beneficial and easy (simple gene change, not complex).  Hard to do, though, considering that every change we make to the environment ends up disastrous.

Why not? 24 times in 24 tries seems pretty predictable to me. Why wouldn't you predict that the 25th try wouldn't have extra tails?

edit

4. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
      Slarty O'Brianposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mutation is not random, it's chaotic. The difference being that random can't exist in a cause and effect universe, and chaos is all about order and how the simple quickly becomes the complex.

Thank you for your correction.

2. janesix profile image61

I know you're smart. Can you address what I said in the OP and tell me why I'm wrong to think what I think?

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
          Slarty O'Brianposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Chaos works by simple rules that repeat under changing condition to produce complex systems.
          Weather is a chaotic system we all experience. We can’t predict the weather because it is interconnected with everything going on on the planet. But the weather we get is inevitable because it is based in cause and effect.

Why do all trees not look the same? Every one is different. Yet trees grow by very simple rules: grow a little, and divide. But how it grows is determined by exactly where it stands and all the conditions it endures. Hence no two trees are exactly alike.

Atoms follow one basic rule: they must find their lowest possible output of energy. That goal changes all the time due to the interaction of other atoms. Because of this rule atoms are often forced into mergers with other types of atom. When that happens on the atomic level, new substances become present on this level.

Those substances interact creating new compound substances which interact with others, always gaining in complexity. Each result being inevitable due to every participants nature, as well as that simple first rule that literally effects the behaviour of everything in the universe.

So rather than being unlikely, the bird and they eye and you and me were inevitable though probably not predictable.

And who said the ideal spot for eyes is where they are?

As to dinos, there were plenty of hollow boned ones before there were birds.

I’m not a biologist and wasn’t there as things evolved, and share your wonder and awe at what nature does. But from a physics stand point I have no problem seeing that the nature of what makes us and everything, is a most amazingly creative force capable of all of this just by flawlessly following very simple rules that are it’s nature.

There does not seem to be an outside force required.

Whether there is one or not is anyone’s guess.

"And who said the ideal spot for eyes is where they are?"

I was saying the ideal spot for eye parts are on the eye.

Photo receptors develop, then a cup begins to form, then a cornea, lens, etc, all right where they need to be.

And don't forget, they are where they can perceive where you're going, not where you've been.  Saves a lot of noggin knots.

2. mishpat profile image61

Ever wonder why there is such a "gap," a series and marked periods of identifiable mutations/evolvements between the creatures of the past and those of today?  Can anyone say that things have changed significantly on Earth in the last 6k years?  Where is the breakpoint the last 6000 years and the previous eons?  It's always "millions of years ago" or in the "jurassic age" and the like or simply "in time past."  We are expected to believe without identifiable proofs, there is a link.  And, yet, each time a new "link" appears on the books, it is quickly defeated by the alternate camp of the same searchers.  And God, well, he doesn't exist, its not His workmanship... but if it is, He certainly screwed things up.

Lord, what fools these mortals be.

Outside of a bunch of extinctions (mostly caused by man), what big changes are you looking at in the last 6000 years?  The ones man domesticated and bred?  Something else?

I was kinda looking for some connection between the worlds past, if any, and the present world.  Seems all present history, Biblical and secular, begins about the time of Eden.  There is an huge amount of time between the "verifiable" dinosaurs and the Garden.  Then, of course, there are several unexplained time lapses in our present "world", but mainly what happened in the times between Fred Flintstone and Dino, and the present historical age?

Man learned to talk, communicate and write.  He also learned to live in larger groupings, passing along knowledge and history.

Did I understand your question this time?

I'm not aware of any reliable sources that indicate "modern" man existed prior to Eden.  There is a lot of guesswork, postulate, etc. that would move man back a couple thousand years, but nothing verifiable.  So it really comes down to who do you believe, or want to believe, regarding the disagreement.  My position is, as usual, the Bible.  It is quite a history book and has been proven correct in many instances, by folks trying to disprove it.  At the same time, these same naysayers have not been able to find error in it, just distain, which is not a proof of anything.

Best guess, from scripture, appears to be that Eden was around 8000 years ago.  Man migrated to the Americas long before that and were in Australia 30,000 years before.  Cave art in Europe far predates that, as does the use of tools.  Otzi, in the Alps wasn't much younger, meaning a civilization existed long enough to travel from Africa to there.  Does that count as evidence of modern man?  If not, what were the differences in skeletal or DNA remains?  Or are you merely talking culture, and assuming that the people of Eden had a culture outside of fig leaves?

2. janesix profile image61

I really don't know what you're saying.

2. Cgenaea profile image59
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

I was told that the Lord created, with his hands, in one day, a living being, with dominion and power to rule over everything here... (stop that eyeball rolling... lol)
    Could one (or two) logically do that without two perfectly working corneas??? The first man mostly blind??? As a Christian, I don't have MUCH critical thinking in my head wink but, maybe I misunderstood something? Eyes which had to evolve?
    What about feet? I hope feet were not developed first and for eons, man actually DID walk by faith alone. wink

Do you actually believe God poofed the first man into existence? I hope you're joking.

1. Cgenaea profile image59
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nope!!! smile ...says he poofed the world into existence. Lol... He took his time to shape, fashion, and form the dude. Poofed him some air...
        I know, I know... somebody somewhere tells a better story. But I believe the bible explanation. The particulars almost really don't matter.
        It's classified info.
        They'll keep guessing until...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)