Why no "references" module?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Vic Dillinger profile image60
    Vic Dillingerposted 8 years ago

How is it that you people don't have a specific, formatted module (short of adding another "text" module) to include your sources/bibliography?

And don't gimme any crud about how everything here is SOOOOOO original it can't be sourced  . . .it isn't; while I was born at night, it wasn't LAST night!)  There is nothing new under the Sun (unless you invented it yourself, as I did in my most recent piece, and even THAT is a variant on a centuries' old idea).

Credibility comes from listing references so others can do further reading and confirm research if they so desire.  It shows the legwork was done.  This is a bonus; such a module NEEDS to be added.

I can guarantee all the plagiarists, scrapers, and spinners out there would fight this suggestion, but those are the sort of people that need to be smacked around anyway and don't deserve a platform upon which to "write" (since plagiarists, scrapers, and spinners don't write to begin with, they merely copy and change a thing or two)..

If there exists some means of adding sources (short of putting in another text module at the foot of the piece), I'd like to know about it, because I don't see one.

Otherwise, I'm kinda liking this site so far.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are two ways you can do this.  One is to add a 'Links' module.  Try this on an unpublished Hub and see if you like that. You can see how that looks on the bottom of this Hub, under 'Resources': http://brakel2.hubpages.com/hub/Imagina … or-Parents
      Many Hubbers also use that module to link to their own related Hubs.

The other way to do it is with a list like at the bottom of this Hub under 'References": http://hubpages.com/hub/Our-Thanksgivin … d-Campaign

Those are Hubs written by other people.  What I do is just give an anchor text link within my content that links out to a source.  For SEO, Google prefers the anchor text links and linking out to quality, related webpages will boost your Hub's ranking on Google. To link to a list of my other related Hubs, I list them in text capsules at the bottom of a Hub and include the intro picture and a description of each Hub.

Welcome to HubPages. Looks like you just need one more Hub to graduate from Boot Camp.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I have only a few references, I simply tack them onto the end of my hub.  If I have several, I make an additional text capsule and list them there, under the title "References".  When I uploaded my ebook on a separate HubPages site under my pen name Ana Kolomeka, I listed my references in a separate hub.  I don't see why HubPages needs to make a capsule specially for references.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Vic, and welcome to HubPages! We agree that citing sources is an important part of writing a trustworthy, reliable article, and we encourage Hubbers to do so where appropriate.

As others have mentioned, a Text Capsule can work well for citing print sources, while a Link Capsule is a great way to handle online sources. smile

Links that are intended solely to promote an outside source (like your own external business or website) are not allowed, but as WriterFox kindly mentions, you are otherwise permitted 2 links or less to any single domain. There are a few exceptions for reference sites like Wikipedia where you can link as many times as you like. Best of luck!

1. Vic Dillinger profile image60
        Vic Dillingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That was kinda what I was getting from others' responses, so I'm good now, so thanks for that extra help on that issue.

2. Vic Dillinger profile image60

Listing websites, for example, in sources--wouldn't those count as "no-follow" non-contextual links here (since we're ostensibly allowed 2 affiliate/off-site links? If not, I'll gladly start throwing on an extra text mod to include sources. Thanks for the response.

The rule here is that you are only allowed two links to the SAME source, unless it's a site like Wikipedia and you may link to that as many times as you want to.  You may also link to as many Hubs as you want, so long as they are actually relevant to the Hub you are linking from.

So, you could have two links to xyz.com, two links to abc.com, two links to def.com, etc., all on the same Hub. 

If these are legitimate references, the links should be followed.  Only affiliate links should be "NoFollow."

There is more on linking on HP here:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22733035
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

My latest Hub has 92 contextual links to sources and has nine Amazon products.

3. Vic Dillinger profile image60

That really helps clarify the issue--i was very woiried about including web sources in a separate references text module (solely set up for that purpose) and getting hamnered for too many outer-directed links. I did search for that info about including references before posting this and could find no conclusive answer, so your response is very helpful. Thanks!

I added a line at the end of my post above.  Check that out, too.

4. Vic Dillinger profile image60

I see. Again, thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)