Mobile Test from Google.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. LuisEGonzalez profile image83
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

I found this site from Google that analyses your HP account and lets you know if it is mobile friendly. So far mine seems OK. Enter your profile's url address and click on "analyse"

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … -friendly/

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Luis. Mine is okay. too.

1. Indianstudent profile image58
        Indianstudentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All HP accounts are same and responsive, so individual needs not to check there profile. It's for websites.

2. profile image0
      Robilo2posted 9 years ago

I checked my hubpages and my own website pages with this tool.  Thank Luis for sharing this link.  I noticed a friend who owns a website that needs to get his mobile-friendly!

3. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

This is a very easy to use tool, and now I know both my sites are mobile friendly.    Haven't checked HP on it though!

4. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Luis, All hubs will pass this test because HubPages already did as much as they could to make hubs mobile friendly. But there is more that Hubbers need to do. For example, if you used capsules in two columns they may not display as you intended on a mobile device, since HubPages moves everything into a single column for the small screen size.

I recommend doing something more important than running the Google test that you mentioned. Go into edit mode on any hub and select preview, then select mobile preview. You'll quickly see what you need to fix. I found this helps increase traffic.

I discuss this further in a hub I wrote about How I'm Editing My Hubs to be Mobile Friendly. You can find it in this week's HubPages Weekly email, or on my profile page.

1. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glenn, I read your Hub and it was very informative.  I am in the process of checking each Hub to see how it looks on mobile.  I've only done six out of 120, but so far they look good.  This is certainly time consuming, but well worth the work, I think.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mary, Thanks for checking out my methods. I started by checking and updating the highest traffic hubs first. I found that they have the best chance of improved traffic with the changes. The low traffic hubs don't get any better with the mobile friendly changes. At least not in the short term. So work your way from top down like that and it should be easier to handle.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have over 300 hubs. I'm not going to go through and check each one!  I'll worry about it if and when any get edited.
          From what I have seen, it doesn't much matter what we do or don't do, so far as our earnings are concerned; they've taken a huge nosedive in the last year or so, and unless The Big G stops being a royal P.I.T.A., I don't see any change happening on that front.
          Since no one can make a guarantee that my earnings would skyrocket from doing this, (and I know they cannot--there are no such warranties!),  I don't believe it is worth the time and effort it would take.

Lizzy, it's not fair to blame Google. They are just being responsive to the fact that most people use their smart phones these days to search for information.

As for you having over 300 hubs to update, see my prior posts in this thread about how to deal with that.

As for your capsules being out of sequence, this is why you need to preview your hubs as they appear on mobile. When I updated my hubs I simply repositioned some side capsules to work both ways, two columns and one column. It's not as difficult as you think. Most of the time the merge falls into the proper place anyway without any repositioning. It usually is just a matter of making sure that the subtitles are over the merged capsules and not under. If the subtitles are part of the left column text capsule, and you have a related right capsule, then that subtitle may end up under the merged right capsule. Easy to fix.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I guess I'm just turning into that "crabby old lady," a la Lucy of the Peanuts comic strip. 
              One reason I can't understand the obsession with "smart phones" is simply a fact of life of aging:  even with my reading glasses on, I don't want to try and peruse a site such as HP or Face Book on such a tiny screen!  Instant eyestrain headache!
              Not everyone is young--in fact, my generation--the Post WWII Baby Boomers, outnumbers the younger generations by a large number, yet all the marketing caters to youth.  Bitter much?  You betcha! 
              Maybe it's just time for me to hang it up.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

It looks as though it only checks your actual profile page, and not any of your individual hubs.  Mine passed, with "awesome," but I suspect that is HP's formatting of our profile pages.

I have not yet edited any of my hubs with an eye to being 'mobile-friendly,' and I do know that I have a good number with a right-shifted first photo, and several other capsules right-shifted to be next to each other, as I don't like the look of a big, blank gap, nor do I like the look of something like a poll taking up the entire width of the column.  A poll is an aside, as is a 'sidebar' bit of text, and IMO, they should not be included in-line with the body text.

Lizzy, The thing is that everything is in-line on a smart phone. All the right column capsules get placed just above the left-handed capsule they were next to. That may not be the ordered result that you may want. This is why it's important to preview your hubs in mobile view as I discussed above and in my hub on the topic.

Bah--phooey! 
          So, even if I've separated it by coloring the sidebar text with a blue background, that gets removed, as well, so people think the side bar is all part and parcel of the body text?  If so, that is extremely annoying, as it would have the effect of fouling up the sequence and structure of the article, and could cause some things to be out of order and not make any sense.
          It saddens me that suddenly everyone thinks they cannot live without their 'smart phone.'  I think they're pretty dumb phones, myself; if they can't handle proper translation of format, and sheesh..the auto-screw-up so-called "spell checker" mistakes I seen constantly....
          I, for one, have no use for these devices.  My "cell phone" is just a simple, flip-open TracFone.  It makes and receives calls, that is all.  It's for emergencies, or so my husband can reach me if he has a problem (he's a heart patient) while I'm out running errands.

1. Muttface profile image80
            Muttfaceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am also a cave woman. The only thing that makes me slightly envious about not having one is the camera function.

Hi, Muttface!  wink Welcome to the dinosaur club!  LOL  Mine actually does take photos, but there is no uplink cable to get them into my computer; I can supposedly e-mail the photos to myself, but it's one of those "press each key umpteen times to get the letter/character you want" deals, and far too easy to make errors, so it never actually sends or arrives, so I don't bother to use that function...ditto for 'texting.'

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)