Point, Counterpoint

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/8561188.jpg
    This scenario is about children doing chores.  There are those who propose that children need doing chores in order to gain mastery and responsibility.  Proponents also proclaim that chores build work ethics in children.

Then there are those who assert that children shouldn't do chores as such distract from childhood which they should enjoy.  They may feel that assigning chores to children is a form of child abuse.  They feel that chores should be done by parents and/or other adults in the house.   Where do you stand on children doing chores?

1. chuckandus6 profile image76
      chuckandus6posted 8 years agoin reply to this

My kids have simple chores like cleaning up toys scrapin their plate into the garbage.picking up their dirty clothes ext..i do all the  housework and although they really want to do dishes and vaccum it is just alot quicker if I do it myself.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

I don't think it is all that important one way or the other.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

As parents repair, paint, wash, fold, cook, sweep, dust, rake, etc. etc., children observe. Children will chip in voluntarily. They like to help. However, if they are forced to work (do chores), they develop a distaste for "work."
           Is gardening a chore? When young, I loved keeping our yards clean and beautiful. My brother and I would happily mow, rake and trim front and back yards. My mother took me to gardening lessons and I learned how to grow vegetables. I developed a love for planting and watching the seeds spout and grow.
         My kids loved helping me in the garden, watering sprouts carefully with a watering can. I would give them little shovels to work the dirt.

Children watch us and learn by doing what we do.

Is helping with house-work over-burdenbsome? When children are encouraged, (and not forced,) to sort socks, fold T shirts, and organize their rooms, with a parent's help/guidance, life skills are naturally learned and self-sufficiency instilled. Forcing is Taboo.
        As a kid, I learned many skills through being given chores and being paid allowance. I remember having a chart and checking off jobs I completed. The reality is, parents need help. The more kids in the family, the more everyone needs to chip in. Kids know this and helping out gives them a sense of responsibility. Life is not easy and many things need to be done. Let them know how they can help and they will.
          Spoiled kids get waited on hand and foot. They are given too much freedom and are not expected to pitch in. There is a way to get kids to help willingly, so that they do not feel forced. Survival requires working. Thats the reality. Children need to be introduced to reality when they are young.
    And that is the responsibility of parents.

IMO

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree!  Working and pulling your fair share ot the weight is part of LIFE, not just family.
      Children should be given chores, and be expected to complete them, if they are to get their allowances.  You didn't clean your room or take out the trash, or brush your dog?  (Whatever is applicable)..then no, you don't get your allowance, or money to go to the show with your friends, however you work it in your family.
      Kids who get everything without effort grow up to be spoiled brats with no respect and who expect everything just handed to them.  These are the ones who get out of school and expect to get a top-level job instead of an entry-level job.
      Responsibility is part of life, and the younger they learn this, the better.
      That's not to say I'm in favor of going back to the bad old days of child labor.  Of course, kids still need time to just be kids and play and blow off steam.  But they also need to be held accountable for certain responsibilities.  That's how I was raised, and it's how I raised my kids...even though I had a running battle with my youngest who was always coming up with statements along the lines of  "You shouldn't have kids just so they can to your work for you."  We didn't--she missed the point, probably on purpose just to push my buttons!  LOL

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why did she, (your youngest) have an attitude do you suppose? I remember thinking I had better things to do… I already knew, or felt, that I was destined to become an artist. I should be allowed to continue drawing, and not be required set the table! My mother, wisely, did not allow me to be one of the elite, however.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That was just her!  She argued with me about nearly everything, from the time she was in 4th grade!
          She was determined that she was going to have the last word, and as the parent, I was equally determined that the last word belonged to me.
          It was brutal!
          She finally got over it when she moved out to college for a couple of years, and when she got back, she was back to her former, helpful self.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
            Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good for you that you held your own. This is what a lot of parents find hard to do today.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 8 years ago

My observation is that children that have never been taught, and have never had, responsibility for work is at a great disadvantage when they hit the work force.  It is the single biggest problem - not the lack of skills or knowledge but an unwillingness to take on the responsibility of holding a job.

Making a childs first 18 years nothing but play while Mom and Dad take on all the work not only does the kids a disservice but is a major failing of parenting (or lack or parenting smile ).  Responsibility and duty may be the biggest thing parents can teach their children.

5. aware profile image67
    awareposted 8 years ago

Life skills training  starts at birth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)