I'd like feedback on my Hub: Moist Carrot Cake

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. facetube profile image61
    facetubeposted 8 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process.
    That is what I received:
    "It's possible that your Hub is not Featured because it contains spammy elements. Perhaps it was written for a link, or has excessive products capsules or product capsules that are not directly related to the content. Even Hubs that appear to be high quality can be spammy. We recommend that you remove any spammy elements from your Hub."

May you please help me to find the "spammy elements" in my Hub Moist Carrot Cake.

What can I do to improve?

Thanks!

1. peachpurple profile image80
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

firstly, try to make a introduction why you bake this cake. Secondly, are these your photos? put your username in the capsules. Thirdly, no data in the nutrition chart. Might as well remove it. 4th, add a video of how to bake it. Cheers!

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Your photos being uncredited is probably a big problem.

Also, your nutrition capsule appears to be blank.

facetubeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for helping me ! I really appreciate that.

I am not sure that uncredited photos are the problem because:

- 6 hubs before that one are accepted using the same structure and approach.

- it is written (in the photo capsule) that all information (name of source, source url, caption) is optional.

- it is visible that all photos are taken by me - in all recipes the tablecloth is the same smile

Maybe I am missing something ... else

3. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

Agree about the uncredited photos probably being the biggest issue. I liked this hub though and the images used were good. A little more detail could be included and even the title may confuse some people. I know many hubbers would write something like How to Make/Cook Moist Carrot Cake instead of just Moist Carrot Cake.

Thank you for your friendly opinion.

Excellent remarks! I will correct the title and add more details.

Honestly I have removed some of text content because I thought that there was the problem. I wasn't right. Still looking for...

2. kbdressman profile image61
      kbdressmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Chris!  The nutrition photo is showing up for me, but one of the other images isn't. 

Maybe if you include some of the following:
      - a brief description of the item and/or a summary of special circumstances in which you have made the cake between the first picture and the recipe --a summary of a memory of when you made the cake or why you love the cake at the end

it will have better luck with the quality assessment.  These brief capsules would make the hub a little more personal, which should help with the problems you're experiencing.

4. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

Like others have already stated, your recipes just need some personal touches.

Your photography is very beautiful and nicely done  -- I think people were assuming you were using professional photos you found on a blog somewhere, and put them in your hub without permission. Since you did take all the photos yourself, if I were you, I would cite them ("photo by facetube" or "photo ©facetube" to let everyone know you took them yourself. Not only will readers be impressed with your photography skills, when you give yourself photo credit it adds a personal touch by giving proof that you really did make the recipe yourself. Readers will feel more confident to try your recipes knowing that you made these dishes yourself and they turned out so beautifully for you.

I agree with the others to add more personal touches throughout your hubs. It is OK to use "I," "me" or "my." Write up a quick anecdote or two about the cake, for example, "it is my nephew's favorite; he always asks for it on his birthday" or "it is fine to use margarine in this recipe, but I always use real butter as I can tell the difference in the taste and texture."

Something else I think would help a little is to make your sentences more active rather than passive. For example, where you have "Instead of making frosting, the piece of cake may be served with two table spoons yogurt. The taste is lighter." try "If you prefer a lighter taste and fewer calories, skip the frosting and serve each piece of cake with two tablespoons of yogurt." The main difference here is "serve the cake" (active) rather than "the cake may be served" (passive).

Am I correct that English is not your first language? Your English is very good, but there are a few awkward phrases, such as "Coarsely grated carrots will make the taste feels juicy and the cake looks airier." Have a friend, relative or a native English speaker read over your articles before you publish them. Double check for typos, also. I see "brawn sugar" and the word "add" where it should be "and." Am I correct that English is not your first language?

Write your recipes as if you are standing there with the reader, giving advice as you help them make it for the first time. You have some really nice recipes and lovely photos. Keep up the good work and they will all be published with a little fine tuning.

You are absolutely right. English is not my first language. One of the reasons to start writing hubs is to improve my language skills. I am glad that there are people like you here that encourage people like me.

My future hubs to be double checked before send them to be purchased is a really good idea (even to me some phrases sound awkward).

All your remarks and suggestions sounds logical and I feel obligated to have them in mind.

Thank you once again for your constructive opinion.

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

facetube,
        Welcome to HubPages.
        First, I recommend that you download the free 'Grammarly' tool.  This will help you to correct most spelling or grammar errors as you type the words into each module.
        Your summaries are too short and not descriptive enough.   Remember this is your first opportunity to impress.  Use keywords which will make your recipe much more search friendly.
        Tell us what makes your recipe so special?   Why should readers choose your recipe over another one? What would you type into Google if you were looking for that extra special recipe?  Try typing your hub titles into google and see what come up.  What makes the titles showing there turn up on the first page?  Is your recipe a tried and tested family favorite or is it one which has been passed down through the generations?  Is the recipe one which you remember your Mum making when you were a child?
        Share your pleasant memories and/or even failures especially if they are relevant to the whole baking process..  Give your readers a hint as to why you managed to turn failure into success. 
        Try to visualise the whole baking process in your mind before you start writing or photographing a hub.  Some people may never have baked a cake before and this is your opportunity to teach them how.  You might want to recommend a special ingredient, a tin, mixer or even a spray oil but only if it is relevant to the success of your recipe.  All of above give you scope to add Amazon or e-Bay capsules at a much later date once you have been accepted by Adsense.   If someone buys a product you will earn a little money from doing so.
        Think about the different frostings you could use, cream cheese comes to mind.  Look at other recipe’s and compare them with your own.  Is your recipe visually beautiful and does it show the finished product in pictures?  If so, then you have the perfect images to add to Pinterest to help promote your hubs in the future.
        Your images are great.  Be proud to add your name as the source and put a caption on the top of each one so that your recipe shows the process step by step visually in pictures..  Some of us are like to learn that way, others like to read a recipe.
        Try to use the box on the right-hand side of your hub.  Check off the boxes to see if you can add a little extra something which will make your recipe or hub stand out.    Lastly, don't be in a hurry to create too many hubs at once.  You will reap the benefits if you do each one to the very best of your ability.
        Have fun creating your next hub.
        Best wishes,
        Sally

Thank you for your kindly welcome!
          Your comment is like tutorial of how I should write my Hubs. I appreciate your help.
            Often my natural way to express myself is to be "clear and concise". It will be a challenge for me to say something more than I usually do. It looks like great opportunity to improve my abilities.

2. kbdressman profile image61
        kbdressmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm pursuing a degree in Spanish, which is not my first language, so I understand the struggles of avoiding awkward phrases in writing in a second language.  Don't give up!  You're doing great!  It might also help your phrasing become more natural over time if you browse respected cooking websites for a few minutes before writing hubs.  You don't want to copy other material obviously, but I see nothing wrong with borrowing common phrases to make sure you're saying things as clearly as possible!

5. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

Yes, you are doing very well! I hope I didn't discourage with my comments. Your articles just need some personal commentary and a little fine tuning.

6. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 8 years ago

I loved your photos of the cake making, they were nice and clear.  I think you need to say somewhere that they were taken by you.  I also think if you added a little blub about how you got this recipe or how you invented this recipe.  Let people know how much your family loves it and so forth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)