What are Christian values?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (44 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 8 years ago

I would like to know what "Christian values" that Christians seem to always be speaking of.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ask Josh Duggar. lol

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I get the impression this question might be an attempt to bait.

Christian values can be defined as values one thinks the Creator would expect you to hold; in line with how he represented his own values through the life and work of Jesus Christ.

And that begins the problem. We each see his life differently. We each see a different lesson in his works. In those differences we begin our journey to understanding. So, our values will differ.

It's why we have the arguments over something like abortion. I think it is easy to see that Christ held human life in high regard. He made it clear that God knows even the number of hairs on our heads. We simply differ on where life begins. So, many are willing to ignore other valuable teachings while pursuing the defense of this one.

It's why we argue over anything. Because we want to understand the reason behind God's plan, we don't really understand it but we think we have a better understanding of it than someone with an opposing view. We know whatever it is it is the most compassionate, for all of humanity. But, selfish desire many times obscures what is the most compassionate. So, Christian values are always changing because as we experience life and learn; as we are given opportunities to recognize where and when our own selfish desires are obscuring our personal views, we become more compassionate.

I would think Christian values were no different from the values of anyone else who has an altruistic role model to follow.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1  Good answer.

2. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1 Bravo!

3. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am not baiting. I like clear answers to things that are overly vague. This is one of those things.

1. Live to Learn profile image60

It is probably overly vague because many attempt to pin it down to a simple answer. There is no simple answer which encompasses how every person who claims to be Christian will determine what values are more important than others.

It's kind of like the Bill of Rights.  It's there in black and white. Everyone has a different take on what implementation entails.

3. Don W profile image81
      Don Wposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you want a textbook answer, I think the main Christian value would be love of God (in the classical Christian tradition) as expressed through a whole-hearted effort to live according to the teachings of Jesus, the Christ. All other Christian values kind of follow on from that, as far as I'm aware.

And what are the teachings of Jesus, you may ask. Depends on which group of Christians you ask and which time period you are referring to. While the basics tend to stay the same, the specifics have changed a few times over the centuries, as Christians cannot agree amongst themselves what those specifics are.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Christian values include the values set forth by Christ of course!
    These values are based on the following:
    The Golden Rule, a universal concept, and loving God/Spirit/Mighty Triple O with body, heart, mind and soul, which every religion teaches.

Why do you ask?

What are "the Golden Rules" and where in the bible does Christ teach them?

Every religion does not teach to love God with all your heart.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

(The s was a slip-up.)
        1. The Golden Rule. Doing unto others as one would have others do unto oneself.
        2. Every single religion teaches us to love Spirit over Matter.
        Name one which does not.
        Please.
        Does it really make any sense to love that which you are eventually separated from?
        Would any religion preach the opposite? No.

The word "love" might be the confusing part.
        Thats why the Hindus use the word "devotion."
        Devotion to Spirit is the core of Christian values.
        and the core of the values of every religion.

TWISI

...unless you or anyone else can prove otherwise.

Please give quotes from the Bible with the Golden Rule.

You are changing the goalposts now. First you said loving God, now you are saying loving spirit over matter. Those are not the same thing. I can find a Bible quote for loving God, but not for "loving spirit over matter".

Matthew 7:12:   Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

2. wilderness profile image96

2.  Satanism.  At least I don't think the religion is about love.  Neither were many of the older religions of the Norse or even (I think) Egyptian.  I'd go so far as to say that the Jewish may have been the first (and only for a long time) to make that rule.

Satanism is not a true religion.
            A true religion teaches reality.
            The old testament defines a true religion/reality.
            Made-up imaginary gods are not the basis of true religion/reality
            Only devotion to Spirit, (life force behind all that exists) makes a true religion.
            according to God and all His Avatars who have come throughout time to enlighten us.

Not very many people would agree with you on that.

Not very many people know much.

Oh? You know more than most people?

Yes.

BTW
                    "Satanism can be defined as an "atheistic philosophy that asserts that "each individual is his or her own god [and that] there is no room for any other god."

Adherents ... see the character of Satan as an archetype of pride, carnality, liberty, enlightenment, undefiled wisdom, and of a cosmos which Satanists perceive to be motivated by a "dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things".

He also serves as a conceptual framework and an external metaphorical projection of highest personal potential."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

Satanism is a problem in that we are not the Infinite Causal Spirit which pervades everywhere and is greater than us since we still identify with our individuality.

2. wilderness profile image96

"Satanism is not a true religion."

An opinion based on desire for something else to be true.  As such it cannot be concluded to be a true statement at all.

"A true religion teaches reality."

Not a single one does that; all pretend there is a hidden spiritual world.  The statement is thus false as religions exist but do not teach reality.

"The old testament defines a true religion/reality."

Not so, or there would be geological and biological evidence of Noah's flood.  There isn't; therefore it wasn't real.

"Made-up imaginary gods are not the basis of true religion/reality"

As all gods are made up out of the imagination, and are the basis of all religions, there is no true religion.  This much is true, all the insinuated equality between religion and reality is quite false.  We know this because gods are made up and not real.

"Only devotion to Spirit, (life force behind all that exists) makes a true religion."

As there is no "Spirit" and no "life force behind all that exists", the conclusion is that there is no true religion.  Again, a true statement.

You might want to re-think claiming unsupported opinion as factual data...

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Bur truly how can anyone reject what I said?
    ...on a level we all know the truth.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Until you can prove that the spiritual world is "pretend," you can prove nothing from your side of the court.

That old excuse again?  "You have to prove that my claim is wrong and if you can't that means it's true"? 

Doesn't that apply to the statement that you are wrong as well as to your statement that you are right?

If you could not type, if you could not respond in your habitual way, if you were not D. H., you could prove your point.
        However, you are not pretend. You are real.
        Thats my lob. Whats yours?

I am not pretend.  Therefore what I say is true.  The spiritual world is pretend.

Your turn.

If the spiritual world were pretend you would not have keyboarded. Your keyboarding is proof of the spiritual world. Your turn. Too late. If you do not keyboard back it is because your spiritual world is prohibiting you. HA!
            And if you keyboard back it is because your spiritual world is prompting….

2. Live to Learn profile image60

The reverse holds true also. It's one thing to believe a spiritual world exists. I do. I doubt we would agree on the nature of that existence. I have a problem with bold claims which cannot be substantiated with fact. Belief is a great thing but it becomes a contentious thing when presented as fact. I've always wondered why those who believe in universal love allow that belief to create strife. It's odd because it appears that the adherent is tilting at windmills created by their own imagination; in direct conflict with their stated beliefs.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I am proof of Spirit, in that I am esssentially spirit in every cell of my body.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

How would you like to devote yourself to the material world only to leave it at death?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I used to say we are earth-riders.  We are actually body-drivers …  here on earth.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

The astral realm is really beautiful… much better than earth ...
    but even there, we are destined for final liberation by becoming one, (in consciousness,) with causal spirit...
    from whence we came.

In a toroidal universe, this would be happening all the time. Always becoming animate and going back to the source. There is only one animating "spirit" and we just borrow part of it for a short time.

I believe so, too.

But in all reality, it is not "borrowed."  It is us …  we are it!  we are of that essence!!! always!

It is beyond the intellect and there is no point going on and on about it.

Have a great day, janesix!

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

...what is so hard to accept?  Your spirit is proof that there is a spiritual realm, which you cannot comprehend at this point in time?
      Did you know that you were a genius as a baby? Learning a language in a mysterious way which can never be duplicated again? Have you ever tried to learn a foreign language?
    There is a mysterious realm of spirit and that realm was created and is directed by a mysterious omnipresent force.

How can anyone not suppose it to exist just by observing and knowing that all reality is A MIRACLE?

(I have a hub which I have started, but cannot seem to embark upon, called, "The Illusions of the Material World."  I am really stumped on this one, for some reason. Maybe I should call it, " The Realities of the Material World.")

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)