Environmental Protection

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

The state of California, with absolute sanctions from the EPA ,demolished a portion to the old Oakland Bay Bridge this morning.  Thus destroying an Eco-system that has been developing for the the nearly 75 years. The shallow water piers that go 250 feet into the silt, according to boaters who navigate, these waters were alive with ocean life.  The EPA who watched as thousands of pounds of explosives were used to blow up this structure assure us no wild life was harmed. There are 12 more of these piers that are scheduled to be imploded, at the cost of 10 million dollars each). Because they will be imploded they won't cause any damage.   This from the same EPA who assures us that building a sports stadium extending into San Francisco Bay won't harm any ocean life either.

1. Genna East profile image81
      Genna Eastposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is this the demolition where they used air curtains to minimize harm to marine wildlife?  I would think the sound of the explosions, alone, would do damage, but I'm no expert.  I'm sorry to hear of this.  Was there an alternate plan for the demolition?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
        tirelesstravelerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Genna, That would be the same air curtain surrounded demolition. The alternative was way worse. The original bridge was designed and built in 5 years. While not completely sure how long the new bridge took, I believe the new bridge it was around 12 years and it was only half the bridge.  The stabilizing rods are already rotting because of the salt water.

2. Richard Nieh profile image60
      Richard Niehposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interesting news. I live in the UK so I am not very familiar with news in the US. However, my previous employer was Siemens Energy and they spent more than 10 millions per year to take care of environmental regulations for building the substations and generations. However, they are still building them with enormous of tax money. English is always quite proud of their health and environment system and considered themselves the best in the world but they still modify their substations every 20 years  when life cycle of the electrical equipment is normally 40 years but you can sometimes see 100 years old equipment is used. Every modification they make is harmful to environment and they still spend millions in transmission systems and more than 1 billion on generations.

Well, from company like Siemens or EDF, they will be pretty happy about it with consistent income every year. Still, it is an race between profit and truly caring about the environment.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

Richard, I am just shaking my head at the lack of good sense in the environmental world.   I am shaking my head at the replacement of substations after 20 years when 40 would be fine.  It's so much better to be wasteful than actually do something for the environment..

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

Just like the rest of the government, the EPA has been bought out by special interests.  They no longer serve as actual environmental protection, but rather as a protection racket for their puppetmasters.  It is disgusting!

As far as the rotting rods go--that's less because of the salt water than because they ordered inferior quality steel from China instead of providing the jobs to American workers, as was done when the bridge was built originally:  it was a major factor in bringing us out of the great depression of that era.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)