Problems posting to facebook

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years ago

Is anyone having a problem posting a link to their hub on facebook?

I use facebook to promote my hubs. I have joined facebook groups that relate to the topics of my hubs and then I post the related hubs there--just one per page every few days.

I think I am having a problem related to hubpages even when I post on my own fb page. I tried posting text only. No problem. I posted something with a link to my blog. No problem. I posted something with a link to HP and it was blocked. I got a message saying I have malware on my computer.

It is a legitimate facebook message. I checked that out. The problem started yesterday. fb would not even let me log in without first downloading their Kasperksy anti-virus program. I ran it and I got a report that there was no malware on my computer. I also ran a full scan with Norton and it detected no malware. FB sent me an email after I ran their program saying I was cleared from suspicion of malware.

Today, I can log in, but I seem to be blocked from posting anything with a hubpages link. I even tried doing it directly from hubpages by clicking the "f" button that is on every hub. I was blocked and got the malware message.

Is this a problem with HubPages or is it specific to me?

CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Facebook has now banned me for three days. I think I have this figured out. Too much posting made fb think I might have some malware spitting out all these posts. And then they decided it was me doing it and banned me. I've been chatting with a friend and he said fb doesn't like people promoting things on fb; they want people to buy ads. Which would be ridiculous given the amount I could earn on from hp. So my views will drop to about 100 a day. I have one hub with over 50,000 views (over about 6 months) and they are mostly from fb. I know that other websites have linked to this particular hub and still I get almost nothing from google. When I search on use duck duck goose, I'm on the first page but google doesn't send me views.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Facebook is no different from Twitter and Pinterest in that you have to post links sparingly and from a variety of sites in order to fly under the radar.  You were likely flagged by other users getting annoyed with what they see as overly promotional activity so try to tone it down or you might get banned permanently. If Facebook is your main source of traffic you really need to be careful.

I figured I might have been reported by somebody who didn't like my posts. I get views because I am controversial. If I see there are a lot of negative comments, I quit that group. But it only takes on person who doesn't like what I have to say to ruin it for me.
          Facebook is not my main source of traffic unless I post; if I stop posting it is the same as being banned.  Lots of people have told me how much they like my writing, but it only takes one person to ruin it for everybody. If someone don't like my posts, they can just pass them by. I think they are just jealous because I get so many comments, likes, and shares. My posts push ideas, not products.

I'm thinking this thru. I don't seem to have the knack for getting views thru Pinterest or google et. al. I stumbled upon a way to get view s from facebook. It takes a lot of time to work fb, but it has rewards beyond views. It is being read. (Every writer wants readers.)  It is the thrill of knowing I have fans. It is the education i get from the fb comments. Several times I have edited a hub because of what somebody said in a comment. It's watching my stats and earnings increase. (It's like keeping score in a game.) It is making payout every month (or almost every month.) I(It makes me feel like the carnival game where you smash down the hammer and ring the bell.)

And it is the once in a while small success. Today I got a call from someone who saw my post about bees on fb. She asked me to write something for a blog for a her bee and honey business. I won't get paid, but they will send me a honey gift basket in appreciation. They will also link to my hubs so I'll get those precious backlinks.) It just makes me think that fb can help me get noticed and maybe next time it's something that actually pays.

So if I can't promote on fb, I can't write for HP. Without fb, I'll lose so much of what makes HP gratifying for me. It takes me about 20 hours to do a hub. Is it worth doing when only a handful of other hubbers read it? I do like being part of the HP family, but is that enough.

I want to be a writer. Maybe I need to put my time into finding paying gigs. And if I can't, then I need to find another passion.

1. profile image0
              calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Think of Facebook like your goose that lays golden eggs.  Treat it gently and don't overwork it or it'll die on you and then you'll have nothing.   

When your banishment is over, don't post links right away.  In the meantime while  you're banned from posting you might want to find other sites that have good information you can link to and devise a more moderate posting strategy. Try to mix HP links with other links. You should also think about ways to get more search engine traffic. Even if you had these articles on your own site instead of Hubpages, you'd still be in a precarious position if all your traffic comes from one social media source. Best of luck with it.

Thanks good advice. I have been posting both Hp links and links to my blogs so I have been using that strategy. I can do a blog post in 2-3 hours instead of the 20 hours an HP hub takes me.)  I would do worse if the hubs were on my own site. I benefit from getting views from other hubpages. The weird thing is that I get more google hits on my blog.  I also post on fb community pages that relate to my subject. I don't know why I'm not doing better with google. Just too much competition.

2. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
              Greensleeves Hubsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I hope you find a way round your problem with Facebook Catherine. I am a member of at least one of the groups you belong to on Facebook (Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens?) I write under my own name, but I have often seen your hubs linked to there (and then read them). It is a great shame if Facebook really is penalising people like you for thoughtful posts, when one sees the kind of utter crap, vulgarity and abusive comment that so often makes its way on to sites like that, and also on to Twitter and YouTube, seemingly without sanction.

I promote my hubs on Facebook too, albeit usually only on my own home page and my HubPage reference page, and I think all social sites would do well to encourage intelligent posts such as yours, and discourage posts of trite rubbish. And if anyone thinks you are overly 'self-promotional', well then I feel it should be for the groups you belong to to make that decision - not Facebook. But don't be too discouraged. I know it's a struggle to get our pages noticed on the Internet - all the dice sometimes seem to be loaded against us - but I am sure there are ways round it either on Facebook or on other social networks. We need to keep exploring every avenue we can to maximise views on HubPages - only that way can we - and HubPages - grow.

2. Sam Montana profile image80
    Sam Montanaposted 8 years ago

I just tried that, something I rarely do and it worked fine. I clicked on the Facebook icon on my article and it worked fine. I went to FB and there it was.

It is definitely me. I have been blocked.I guessed they have tagged me as a spammer. I can't post anything with a link. I satopped getting the malware message and now I just get a message saying I am blocked from performing this action.

3. Sam Montana profile image80
    Sam Montanaposted 8 years ago

Facebook can be a real pain sometimes and I have never really liked posting things on there. You might try signing off and signing back in again and see if that clears things up. Or it might clear up in a couple of days.

Fortunately, I am only blocked for 3 days this time. Last time they blocked me for 2 weeks. I had some time-sensitive posts from my blog that I wanted to post and fb ruined it for me. by the time I could post again it was old news.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)