Old But New Hubber

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image52
    shaleen23posted 8 years ago

I've been a member for 6 years, but haven't published anything.  I did write 4 articles 6 years ago, but nothing to be published.  I found Hub Pages yesterday while trying to locate a website where I could write.  I'd appreciate it if I could have some help in learning to write better.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The rules have changed a lot over the years, you should probably review the guidelines here http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just start writing hubs. Once you have a few under your belt, it will be easier to see where you need to improve.

1. profile image52
        shaleen23posted 8 years agoin reply to this

thanks sherry.  I'm working on one.  maybe when I finish you could look at it?  if not, I'll understand.

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hello Shaleen smile I have been a member for 5 years and have before me the adventure with revitalizing writing too. No need of history other than the last year I pretty much have not published. Why? I have sought to better my craft as a writer and learn SEO practices & techniques. Those go tightly hand-in-hand.

Cutting to the chase there is great help here in the forums. There are many of expertise and of wisdom. And, there are many seeking learning willing to listen. There is opportunity as teachers and of students as well as the dialogue with seeking understanding change. There will be discussions with how to take aim at the future with the constant new change benefiting all.

Sticking closer to the point of bettering writing I have found great help with the following two links:

Readability of an article; Readability-Score.com

That site is designed for internet writing as key. A simple copy/paste one will discover the grade level of an article. That is important when considering the audience. An example is if I decide to write an article on the 2nd law of thermodynamics then what is the audience. Those would be one familiar with it or one who knows little of it. One will wish for a 14th or higher level of writing while the other will desire closer to 8th.

An interesting point to consider is it is strongly suggested by reputable SEO sites and gurus those are considered with the today dominate Hummingbird Algorithm. The next link is also considered too with grammar and English usage. Overall it is recommended for article success to aim for the 8th – 9th grade level.

The results of this article to this point are:

A grade level (based on the USA education system) is equivalent to the number of years of education a person has had. A score of around 10-12 is roughly the reading level on completion of high school. Text to be read by the general public should aim for a grade level of around 8.

Readability Formula     Grade
      Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level     8.3
      Gunning-Fog Score     10.5
      Coleman-Liau Index     11.9
      SMOG Index     8.2
      Automated Readability Index     7.1
      Average Grade Level     9.2

Language usage and Readability; Hemmingway Editor

The Hemmingway editor will assess spelling, grammar, highlight areas with a different color with challenges, and offer reasoning for corrections to better an article. For instance next are the results for this contribution:

Grade 7
      3 of 23 Sentences are hard to read
      2 of 23 Sentences are very hard to read
      1 Phrase has a simpler alternative
      2 Adverbs. Aim for 3 or fewer
      2 Uses of passive voice. Aim for 5 or fewer

I have been using these tools for about six months. I have been working at breaking habits and building new ones. One must consider writing by someone who wrote for twenty years especially professionally cannot be compared to an enthusiast just embarking on a writing adventure. Some have a capacity to write innately just as someone who can tune a High Performance Engine easily. They both have respectful talents and both would be somewhat lost in a different venue.

Then there is SEO that will affect style, form, and format seeking an article ranking, traffic, and reader engagement. Alas, poetically, we may discover the complexity of rhyme and reason seeking promoting the message of an article. There are many more versed in this than I here in the forums. Thus, there is a new adventure to be embarked upon seeking their acclaim of many years practicing.

I apologize of the length. Best wishes on your new adventure here writing at HP with its format for income and its form as a community of writers. Each has an adventure of their own and many are willing to share those with the quest of writing . . .

(Now I am off to practice editing with those tools seeking bettering this short writing exercise while assessing for SEO practices and techniques.)

2. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I have also been a member here for six years but only wrote three hubs in the first three years, now I am up to 243 published hubs. So there is hope. Once you start writing and receiving readers you will be hooked.

3. Galaxy-Gal profile image59
    Galaxy-Galposted 8 years ago

I'm new to Hubpages. I didn't come here to make money -- I can make more in an hour as a consultant than I'm likely to make in a month here. But there are other reasons I want to participate that may apply to you too. First, the learning center has a lot of solid advice on how to write. There's a lot there, so I suggest you read a little every day and apply that to your next hub. Second, you get feedback on your writing from your posts. Finally, you have access to the knowledge of others through these forums and the Q&A. The best way to go forward, in my opinion, is to experiment by writing, posting and learning from it. Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)