Why do Hubs of the day not automatically become Editors Choice Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (25 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12875232_f520.jpg
    Just curious, one of my hubs, selected as a hub of the day some time ago has been my top performing one for quite a while.

However, it does seem odd to me that hubs of the day are not automatically selected as Editors Choice Hubs as well!  Anyone else ever wondered why this is?

If not, would it not be nice to see the hub of the day title show up next to the hubs in our accounts as the Editors Choice ones currently do.   It would be a nice way to keep tabs on Hubs of the day.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
      SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bizarrely, there doesn't seem to be any Hub of the Day today.  Is that because of the new sites?  I did see your felting one the other day, but nothing at all today.  Am I missing something?

sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

SheilaMilne
        Not that is strange, I had not noticed until you pointed it out.  Bizarre as they are meant to go into a pot for the random draw prize.

2. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is strange, Sheila.  As of 4:11 pm EST, no HOTD posted. That's a first since I've been here. Regarding OP, sallybea, I'm still a little confused by the criteria for HOTD. I have a feeling since I opted out, I won't get my ECs back, and therefore, never will be considered for HOTD. No sweat, just a curious observation. My only HOTD was awarded before ECs. I doubt that the EC banner will be retroactive which is essentially what you're asking. But it would be nice to have a HOTD banner or icon to help you keep up with so many. smile

Jan.
          As I recall it, you will definitely be considered for HOTD as I don't think you can opt out of Editors Choice any longer.  I think that also entitles you to the monthly draw if you have any HOTD's.

1. janshares profile image94

Hmmmn didn't know that. I opted out in 2013 so I don't know. . .

I hope you will find that I am correct Jan.  Will have to wait and see if anyone else agrees.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Apologies for the confusion. I forgot to select a Hub for today, so none is displayed. Things should be back to normal by tomorrow. I've just been very busy with the new sites and accidentally let this slip.

All Hubs of the Day must be Editor's Choice Hubs, but it's always possible for the EC status to be removed if the Hub is re-reviewed or edited.

Hi Christy
        So a HOTD could also have it's EC status removed retrospectively!  That does seem a bit harsh.  I think it more likely that the one I am referring to was probably never given a HOTD and that it dates back to when it was not essential for a hub to become an EC before it became a HOTD,

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Yep, Hubs never lose their Hub of the Day Accolade, even if they were Hubs of the Day before the EC requirement (or even EC in general) was created. smile

Thanks Christy.

2. janshares profile image94

Just to be clear, then Christy: If the reason you lost EC status on your hubs is because you opted out (not because your hubs were re-reviewed), your hubs cannot be considered for HOTD. Correct?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93

The EC opt-out option was removed when subdomains were discontinued, so those Hubs should be re-reviewed eventually for EC status. But yes, Hubs must currently be EC to be considered for HOTD.

1. janshares profile image94

Thanks so much for the clarification. Got it now.

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Sally, it is the other way around. Hubs cannot become Hub of the Day unless they have previously been selected as Editor's Choice. It would be good if the HOTD accolade show up next to the hub in our Accounts.

Jodah
      I had not realised that.  For some reason, I noticed today that my current top Hub had no Editors Choice hub tag next to it in my stats and I thought how strange that was because I knew it had been a hub of the day.  There probably are a few more but I don't recall which ones I have got hub of the day for.
      Does that mean they replace the Editors Choice Tag in our stats and put the Hub of the Day award only on the Hub.  That does seem a bit odd,

2. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is correct, Jodah.  Sally, a while back HP said that a hub cannot be Hub of the Day without first being chosen as an Editor's Choice hub.  Now, your Hub of the Day hub may have been a HOTD back before they made that new rule?

Yes, I do remember that being the case but, all the same, one would think that if a Hub were good enough to be a Hub of the Day, then it should be made an Editors Choice as well, just my way of thinking.  Not sure when I wrote that hub as I can only see when it was last updated, guess I would have to go into edit mode to check out the copyright date.  I think staff have got more than this on their minds at the moment:)

1. Faith Reaper profile image82

Sally, you can go under your account on the statistics page where all your hubs are listed and look all the way to the far right and it give the date originally published.  Hubs will not be chosen HOTD nowadays unless it has already been chosen as Editor's Choice.  So, to me, that tells me your HOTD may have been chosen HOTD before the new rule about it first being Editor's Choice.  They probably will not go back and make it an Editor's Choice too if that is the case.  I thought a HOTD hub did have the accolade on the individual hub, but if not, HP should make amends on that for sure!  Another thing, unrelated to this, I have always wondered why the number does not show up on those who have won a Hubbie Award more than once, why it doesn't have the amount of times one has won one.

The HOTD accolade only appears on the actual hub,but not in the stats area.

1. Faith Reaper profile image82

Oh, I see what you are saying now. Yes, one should be able to scroll down the statistics pages and see hubs that are HOTDs.

Yes, I think it would be nice to see that little HOTD with a little tag just like an Editors Choice one, just so be can keep tabs on which ones received the HOTD on the stats page.

3. Shadrack2 profile image43
    Shadrack2posted 8 years ago

am yet to understand that too

I am sure staff have much greater things to concern themselves with at the moment, like getting the new sites up and running.

1. erorantes profile image50
        erorantesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you miss Sally for askquing  about editors choice. Thank you miss Chisty for explaining why editors choice is not showing today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)