Confused about link removal

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 8 years ago

I have a question about removal of one of my links during the snip editing process.  I'm not angry, just trying to learn.

At the end of my articles on dog training, I let my readers know that if they want to follow me on Facebook, they can click the posted link and like my Facebook page.  I have over 2K followers on Facebook.  When I publish a new article, I post it on my FB fan page, and my fans then "share" the article.  It can go anywhere from a bit viral to very viral.

When my articles get "snip" edited or pro edited here on HP, the Facebook link is removed.  I know people can follow me here on HubPages, but I also know that people interested in my dog sport aren't going to create a profile here just to follow me.  However the dog sport community all hang out on FB, so reaching them there is a breeze.

If the link to my FB fan page benefits HP by increasing (by a lot) views to my articles, why is it removed?  What is the downside of having the link?  There must be one or it wouldn't be removed.   

BTW, when I look at just FB and Google stats for my work, about 60 percent of my hits are from FB.  Only 40 are from Google.  Most of my work is written with FB in mind, not Google.

So, what am I missing here?

1. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The downside of the link is that people click it and leave HubPages. Even if it results in more views to  HubPages, they're playng a game that doesn't consider the future, just what happens immediately when the link is clicked. They don't understand that when a HubPages writer promotes her hubs on another site she's also promoting HubPages in multiple ways. First, the views to her hubs produce money from advertisers and second, when people come to her hubs because of a facebook page, they have come to HubPages and may move on to other hubs once they are here.

They don't seem to understand the value that a writer having a readership brings to them so they don't support it. They don't seem to see the value of social media traffic to HubPages, either.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Because it counts as self-promotional and that's not allowed.

3. agilitymach profile image92

But why, if it helps bring in views?  I really am trying to understand - not trying to be a pain. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Because they don't know it helps bring in views.  Most people who link to a Facebook page, would be linking to a page that promotes them as an individual - or it might even promote their own blog. 

The moderators don't have time to go and check the Facebook page to see whether it's promoting HubPages or some other site - so they just have a rule that it's not allowed.

4. agilitymach profile image92

I mean, I can totally get it if I were putting in a link to my "Zazzle" account that sells artsy dog products, but it's a link to my FB page designed JUST for my HubPage acct. 

And thanks for replying. smile

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

In addition to what the others have said, I think it is also risky to let a link to another site stay.  For one thing, it would be hard for a moderator to judge which sites are really spammy and which sites are not.  You could, for example, be really spammy on Facebook. Or maybe you aren't now, but decide to be in the future.  If your Facebook page is linked, it may appear as an endorsement to that page, and HubPages doesn't have the manpower to monitor it and has no control over what you put or don't put there.

6. agilitymach profile image92

Thank you all for explaining the whys.  I appreciate the responses.

It's really a Catch 22 for me.  My FB fan page has gotten 60 likes in just the last 2 weeks, so it continues to grow.  I do get that they can't moderate where all the links go to, and I also do get that I "could" make my FB page spammy.  But...as a person with marketing experience, I wouldn't do that to my audience there.  The page would lose it's power to reach my target audience.  However HubPages doesn't know I won't make the page spammy.

I guess I have to decide whether getting a "hit" from HubPages for having a link they don't like (but benefits them) is worth the extra views.  I would like as many of my dog articles as possible to go over to PetHelpful, but most of my views come from that FB page.  It's a dilemma.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not really a dilemma. You are allowed to post your HubPages links on Facebook. You just aren't allowed to post your Facebook links to HubPages.

1. agilitymach profile image92
        agilitymachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is a dilemma because the people who "like" my FB page FIND the FB page off of my link on my Hubs.  So...I wouldn't get a fan base if I didn't link my FB page off of my Hubs.  AND...my hubs wouldn't go viral without the fans finding my FB page in the first place, which they only do through my hub link.  (About as clear as mud, I know.)

I do appreciate your thoughts on the topic though. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)