Realistic Traffic goals.....

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Adam Harkus profile image61
    Adam Harkusposted 8 years ago

I've only been a hubber for just under 6 months now, but looking at my traffic stats, gaining 500 hits extra per month (0, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 etc) I've worked out that by 2010 (only 4 years away) I'll have around 1,000,000 hits!

Is this realistic target? seems to be progressing fine so far smile

1. DrMark1961 profile image98
      DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Adam, it should not take you that long. (2020, right?)
      Most of the people I see on HP write for a while and then give up. If you continue to write your new hubs will get traffic, your older hubs will continue to get traffic the same or even better traffic, and you can reach that goal in 2 years.
      Good luck!

Adam Harkusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here's hoping, according to my calculations I'm well ahead of schedule at the moment anyway.

Yeah, 2020 Had calculated... oops.

2. Adam Harkus profile image61

I'm definitely not giving up, got loads more ideas smile

1. hannahwaguinao profile image40
          hannahwaguinaoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are an encouragement. smile I'm a newbie here and very much inspired to write. I made a list of topics I'd be writing about. Thanks!

If you've got a lot to write about and you enjoy it I don't think you need to concern yourself with anything else for now, just follow the little guidelines at the top right of the page as you construct your hubs, then take it from there. I've found forums to be a good place to advertise too.

1. hannahwaguinao profile image40
              hannahwaguinaoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Copy that! Thanks again. Hoping to read more of your hubs!

2. passionatelearnr profile image84
              passionatelearnrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I find promoting an article very hard.I too have been here for less than six months but i'm not seeing the type increase that you do.my page views aren't increasing  by 500 every month  so i may not hit the 1000,000 target even in 2020.lol

2. Galaxy-Gal profile image60
      Galaxy-Galposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm a newbie, and if I ever get to where you are I'll be thrilled. I'm getting about 2 visits per hub per day and have earned a fraction of a cent. Nowhere to go but up!

3. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Having followed you in the forums of lately I think you are on a great start. As TT2 pointed out you have vast experience with an evergreen topic with music. Music is universal as art. Even articles on former tech stuff would be evergreen as people playing guitars buy them and amps at garage sales to start their new journey.

There is a continued interest in older models while they become collectibles too. There is opportunity compare/contrast new with old enhancing one with another offering perspectives to those seeking a next purchase. I need something like, but my background is automotive and my tech knowledge is out dated with newer computer age technology. That leads to restoration and perhaps those kind of tips and how-to's. hmmmm . . .

2. profile image0
    Farawaytreeposted 8 years ago

I'm in the same boat and hoping for the same! Good luck Adam smile

Good luck to you too. It's a really great goal to have, doing something you really enjoy and watching it progress.

1. passionatelearnr profile image84

but it hurts more if you fail to reach it.I love to write but sometimes i find the amount of traffic i'm getting ,depressing and wonder if it will ever improve.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

A great deal depends on your topic.  The OP writes on a very popular subject about which he has extensive knowledge and a ton of experience.  You can't just write about anything and expect to get great views, unless you get lucky and hit on that one thing that goes viral overnight.  Look at his profile to see what I mean.  Many here who have been here much longer do not get his level of views , that that's why.

Another reason is that you only have posted 12 hubs.  To earn much at all, you will need between 50 to 100 and more.

3. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 8 years ago

I think consistency in posting and participation is important to build a following. I have not been very consistent and not very disciplined in posting new hubs. Keep learning and you'll definitely reach your goals.

People here don't succeed by creating followers.  They succeed by writing searchable articles that Google will rank well that many thousands of people want to read.  Writing continually does help, but your work has to be good.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

If I were to worry about my traffic on the daily then I would drive myself crazy mostly because of things I hear from other hubbers.

I've read posts about how some hubbers get thousands of views daily and have hit the million target in a year or so, and it does feel discouraging when you're not even close to their standard. That's why it's best to keep writing without obsessing over stats.

1. Galaxy-Gal profile image60
      Galaxy-Galposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's sound advice. I'll take it!

2. passionatelearnr profile image84

haha.you are right chris.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Chris, you have plenty of hubs, but many are similar in nature...the top 100 this or that, etc.  You need to develop more interesting titles and vary them, otherwise Google won't rank you well.  Also, you write in some pretty saturated areas.  Remember that what Google wants is original, new content, not a rehash of what can be found elsewhere on the web.  It's not easy to do, but some people find their ways, and you can, too.  I think all you need is a little tweaking.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
        Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the advice and I completely agree with all of it. It's a constant learning process with a lot of trial and error, and I'm fortunate Hubpages exists to help writers grow and develop their writing skills. Eventually I want to expand beyond this place but there's more to learn and more useful advice that I need to take in from fantastic people like yourself.

1. TraceyWalsh profile image76
          TraceyWalshposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you Chriswillman90.

5. profile image0
    dy0pxaposted 8 years ago

How can I get more traffic  to my hubs? because it has been going down, but on this site for a year and is new for me.

You only have 2 hubs.  How in the world do you expect to get a lot of traffic?

6. Adam Harkus profile image61

In a nutshell, write quality, interesting articles and promote them on other sites.

...and make sure they are on topics that people search for.

7. TraceyWalsh profile image76
    TraceyWalshposted 8 years ago

I am just in the beginning stages, in fact I still have to write 2 more hubs before I become official.  I realized when I wrote an article regarding the holidays, it would be taking a chance.  Is it reasonable to think that a "seasonal" topic could be considered "evergreen"?  What would be a way to increase traffic during off season?  I have deterred the "falling traffic" symbol once already but it came back a day or two later.

You need to find topics that people will read at any time of the year, not just during holidays, etc.  Topics such as makeup, pet care, sports, etc. are always things about which people search.

Thank you TimeTraveler

8. Asher143 profile image58
    Asher143posted 8 years ago

Hey guys, could anyone tell me how to earn cents by hubs???

Write more than 1....say maybe 100!!

9. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

All I know is that on my blog half a million pageviews came faster and faster over time

Thus traffic trends are EXPONENTIAL but only IF:
    1) you write on one main topic area
    2) you add new content on a regular basis
    3) you make it easy for people to know you've updated

That's because every person you add has friends - so if they tell their friends about you and they then tell their friends.......

10. Adam Harkus profile image61

Just coming to the end of the first month since I've started down this road of analyzing my traffic stats and setting a goal to reach 1 million views by 2020.

The good news is i'm 2 months ahead of schedule already smile

I've heard a lot of negativity on here of late about traffic / earnings, but all I've done is write, get involved in the HP community and post my links on 3 or 4 forum sites.

I'm not a professional writer, I'm no expert in SEO, adsense or blogging.

All I can say is, don't loose faith !

Thank you for the encouraging insight, Adam.  It is like anything else in life that is worth attaining.  We have to work for it, lol.  We are lucky to have a community that allows us to learn, share, and grow as writers.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Yes, but your topic is one that interests many people, and you have the expertise to back up what you say.  Not many people here can make that claim.  This is a perfect example about the fact that no matter how well you write, what you say must be something that has information many people thirst for.  You are doing extremely well, but you must understand that your colleagues here may not be in the same boat..  You don't have to be a professional writer to make money here, just a person who can clearly and correctly state his views in a way that is interesting.

Sounds like you've managed to connect all of the right dots!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

11. Adam Harkus profile image61

Well......

It 'was' looking positive sad

12. Coffee-Break profile image85
    Coffee-Breakposted 8 years ago

Looks like @TIMETRAVELER2 covered all of the angles. smile
    @adamharkus, your hubs are interesting. I would make them more appealing by adding more media. In your travels, did you take any pictures? Did you make videos? You know the SEO saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words." Both people and search engines love rich media content.

Also, not sure if you do it, but keyword research could get you a lot of traffic. By minimally changing your hubs to answer real people ask, you can attract a lot of traffic from search engines. That's your main goal. Internal traffic is good but on the long run it dries out. sad

again @adamharkus, why don't you try to better monetize your hubs with related Amazon products, like books, maps, etc. One or two products enrich the content.
    My 2 cents.

Unfortunately, all my pic were on Bebo, and I can't get them back anymore sad

It's tough for me to write 'off the cuff' as it were. but still incorporate answers to questions people may ask, and how to ties in with keyword research? Well I've looked into google trends, but putting the findings into the article is again, very tough. Perhaps I'll ask a separate question on that.

Again, with product links, I've found anything other than a tour guide to be irrelevant to the topic.

Anyway, some great advice there, I'll dig a little deeper

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Why do you feel you need to write "off the cuff"?   

Very few professional writers would write off the cuff and publish immediately.  They would always take the time to edit the article before publishing it - checking for spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, sections which are unclear or in the wrong order etc.    An online writer also takes that opportunity to look at SEO (search engine optimisation). 

That's how I approach it - write the article first based on what I want to say, THEN do my keyword research, not the other way around.

1. Coffee-Break profile image85
          Coffee-Breakposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

2. Adam Harkus profile image61

That's great advice, I'll have my work cut out but it'll be fun. Thanks smile

2. Coffee-Break profile image85

I never stop trying new things. This is how it gets financially rewarding. Your articles are in a niche, the writing is good, it just needs tweaking. smile
        If you don't have the pics anymore, add related, free to use images. You can find them with Google advanced image search.

If I had your articles, I'd start to think of monetizing improvements. wink When you add an Amazon product on your page, book, or whatever, you also add media. It's good for your articles.

Furthermore: contextual interlink the related articles with pertinent keywords. This helps search engines to figure out your content, and visitors browse faster. Since the articles are related, you can certainly find many ways to interlink them.

Google is not a good place to find photos as many do not permit "free use".  Better sources would be Morguefile.com, Pixabay. com or Wikimedia.org.  These are free and mostly public domain and can be edited before use.  Using Google pix can open you to lawsuits.

1. Coffee-Break profile image85

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12891520.png

This is how you can filter with Google search. Searching this way allows you to look everywhere at once. Not sure if it's the best way, but you can certainly filter if you use the advanced search. Click on the gear at the top-right of the search page, and you'll see the option.

I'm off to my day job now. smile

Yes, but "labeled for noncommercial use" does not meet HPs requirements because we make money as the result of using their images.

People do it, but I don't think it's the best idea or the safest, legally.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I would just add, don't assume that the Google search is correct.   

Quite often, I'll find an image on Google search which is supposedly free to use - but when I visit the original website, I find it's not free to use at all!  So always, always go to the original website and check  before using.

13. Adam Harkus profile image61

Keyword research is a large area I have no knowledge in, so I've created a new question here...
    http://hubpages.com/community/answer/26 … d-research

14. Adam Harkus profile image61

Just a quick update on this.

I'm still managing to stay just ahead of target, mainly thanks to stumbledupon though sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)