eBay capsules, Amazon and any other commercial add-in being "snipped."

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. TeriSilver profile image96
    TeriSilverposted 8 years ago

I've had yet another eBay capsule snipped from a piece I published two days ago.  This article is on dogwood trees, and the eBay product was about dogwood trees/seeds and planting of this tree species --  which is something directly related to the hub itself.  So, now I think it is time for HP to completely remove the option of eBay add-ons, and Amazon, too.  Find a better way for writers to make up this revenue.  I am OK with a snip if it means the article will be featured or if eBay puts something different in there from the original listing -- they do that if an item is no longer available (not the case, here).  But my understanding is that the edits only would involve commercial capsules that are offering unrelated items for sale -- that is not what's happening here (and not the first time).  I am sure I am not the only writer concerned about having appropriate capsules deleted arbitrarily.  Thus, if HP doesn't want them there, why have them at all? It seems that these eBay capsules are a concern for HP, so perhaps it's time to re-think the revenue structure.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, many of us here are still making money from those ad capsules, so apparently there is something amiss with yours.  I would contact the team for help on this one to make sure they haven't made a mistake.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, please!

TeriSilverposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've made some money, too.  But it seems that HP doesn't really want to  keep these commercial links.  I don't believe I'm the only one with this concern, as I read so many of the same complaints in these forums. (I would hate to see the commercial links go, too.  But to suggest that it is just my hubs would be in error). Again, I think HP should decide what kind of site it wants to be ... it was much different a few years ago but then again, so was the internet and Google's search algorithms.   I have previously questioned the selection of what is "appropriate" and what isn't, and receive answers that don't make sense because the hubs and their ad capsules are, indeed,  the same -- but it is at a moderator's discretion and that can mean anything to any person. I rarely put ad capsules in anything now because no matter how on target they are to a subject's matter, the bottom line is ... HP really doesn't want them anymore.

2. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did that capsule generate sales?

No time to find out; the article had only been online for less than 48 hours.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Teri,

Was the Hub about how to plant and grow dogwood trees? If it was just about the trees in general, an ad for the seeds would be considered unrelated.

Hi, Christy, thank you for your response.  The article is about how adding these trees to a yard or landscape would generate color, beauty, etc. and it lists different varieties of dogwoods based on color and height. Adding these trees to a landscape would require planting -- either by seed, seedlings, cuttings or established saplings.  The eBay capsule was about seeds, I think -- it may have been saplings; I cannot remember now.  The article did mention USDA zones, soil testing, location and choosing varieties based on colors and heights.  I can't say I understand why an ad for seeds is unrelated to any of this -- one cannot add add trees/flowers/shrubbery without having seeds/cuttings/ saplings, etc. -- but so be it.  Thank you for putting this piece in your niche site.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Could you post a link to the Hub? I'll take a closer look.

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Ohios-Dogwood-Trees.  It's OK, I don't care all that much for the eBay capsules anyway -- depending on the article -- but I am still not clear, I guess, on what is "relevant."  I was trying to follow your previous advice but it doesn't seem that all the HP moderators see things the way I do.  Thanks,  t

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Ah, I think the issue here is that the title, the Hub's subject, and the product are not tightly tied together. I'd recommend elaborating on your title to make it clear to your readers what you're talking about. Maybe something like "Why Ohio Residents Should Plant Dogwood Trees" In that case, a section on how to plant the trees that included a capsule for dogwood seeds would be appropriate since the Hub's title, the text, and the product would all be about planting dogwood trees.

As it is, your Hub's title states that it's about dogwood trees in Ohio and the Hub gives general information about dogwood trees and is not tightly focused specifically on planting them, which is likely why the editor did not think a product would be necessary to a reader just looking for more information on dogwood trees.

Hope that helps to make the snipping process a little clearer. Some things the Snip Editors ask themselves are "Is the reader coming here to buy?" and "Is this product likely necessary for anyone who lands on this article?" Someone looking for more information on growing dogwood trees is probably not there to shop, but seeds or saplings are necessary for anyone getting started growing dogwood trees and they're also something it's unlikely your readers will already own. But if your readers are just there to look up info on dogwood trees in general (as your title implies) they probably only want info and not products, since they aren't necessarily looking up how to grow dogwoods.

Thank you for your input.

2. TeriSilver profile image96
    TeriSilverposted 8 years ago

Updated to say that this piece was moved to the new niche site "*Dengarden"), which I kind of wondered may have happened (when the piece was snipped). But again, the ad capsule was relevant, so it makes me wonder if HP really just doesn't want the new sites having eBay or Amazon capsules which essentially compete against the ads placed by them or Google. That makes sense, but again, why have them at all, then?  Sigh, OK,.... That's cool. Oy.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I had an article snipped before it was moved to Dengarden. There had been two Amazon capsules on that article, and only one was removed. They were both tools that were discussed in the body of the hub. I don't know if they just thought two was too many. My main point is, they did leave one.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You will find that the hub moved to the new niche will get better views than it did before...at least this has been the case for many people.

I have had hubs moved to the niches also, and have been able to keep a few of my Amazon ads there.  The others they simply added in as links.

They are being extremely careful with this issue because they don't want Google downgrading these sites the same way the have downgraded HP.

Lots of people are complaining about this, but the truth is that many here have placed far too many ads on their hubs and that is one of the reasons HP has made this move.

Be happy you had a hub moved over because in the future, I believe that's where the money and views will be.

3. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 8 years ago

I went through and took out all of my eBay capsules which weren't earning anything since we no longer get anything for views.  I'm eliminating a lot of my Amazon ones but keeping the ones I get regular revenue from.  I do get a good steady stream from Amazon but almost all of that comes from about 4 Hubs out of my 300, although I will randomly get sales that I know aren't advertised on my Hubs.  I'm guessing that people click through my Hub and then buy other things once they are on Amazon.

4. Azure11 profile image84
    Azure11posted 8 years ago

I've had exactly the same problem on 2 of my hubs that have been moved over to new sites. Both hubs only had one Amazon capsule on with a single relevant product and both of those were removed. There was also a link on one of the hubs to an external site (one of mine) which had some really useful info very much related to the hub and that was snipped too. Seems to me that HubPages are trying to eliminate all external links...

I'm not going to bother to complain as I am in the very slow process of moving a lot of stuff to my own sites due to lack of traffic on HP :-(

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)