Niche sites selection

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

I understand there are a ton of hubs for staff to review for selection to the new niche sites.   2 different questions come to mind:

1)  Are we allowed to suggest to them other of our hubs, which, in fact, 'match up,' or are in the same general topic category as one or more that has already been moved over?

2)  I notice ALL of the Amazon capsules are being snipped...I sort of understand, and sort of do not.  I don't make many sales from these, but I recently just did this week...and if the capsule hadn't been on the hub, I'd have lost out.  What gives, here?  I staff preparing to delete the Amazon Associate program altogether?

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

DzyMsLizzy,
      You need to ask paradigmsearch about such things. This hubber somehow knows quick ways to get needed-answers for us who are "in the dark."

2. Blond Logic profile image93
      Blond Logicposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I sent the staff a message when one of my hubs was snipped. They messaged me back giving me the criteria for including an Amazon capsule. Alas I have since deleted the email but it made valid points.

For example, if you are writing a cookie recipe, don't put a capsule advertising mixing bowls, because if they are looking for a cookie recipe, it is likely they already have bowls. If you were showing them how to make fancy cookies  using different cookie press nozzles, then an ad for a cookie press would be a good fit.

It should be a product you know well or have used yourself. Then you should also write about your experience in the Amazon capsule. You do this by using the 'select a specific product' option in the Amazon capsule, then you have the option of adding a description.

They also said, don't just stick an ad on for the sake of it and hope for sales as it looks spammy and desperate. (Not their words) I think it will also devalue your hub and lessen the user experience.

We need to ask  ourselves, if the customer is coming to our page for information or are they coming there to find out about a product?

I think we all need to pull together and shave our hubs to enable Hubpages to continue. I feel the move to the niche sites was a positive one and we don't want to backslide by putting a bunch of  ineffectual Amazon ads on.

In saying that, I have one Amazon ad on one of my moved hubs. The hub is well over 3,000 words long and I make some sales from it. For now I will leave it as it is and not rock the boat.

I hope that helps.

DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Mary.  I understand that much, and generally, that is how I handle Amazon capsules now.  I think in the past, when things were more lax, and I was newer here, I did put in some capsules for things I had not used, but which overall fit the subject of the hub, such as a book on grammar or a misspeller's dictionary on my hubs about language.  They fit, even if I had not read the specific book.  I read the descriptions to see if they were an easy-to-understand type of book, then included them.

In my article on camping for the first time, for example, I included ads for camp stoves, cots, sleeping bags, and camp cookware.  I've since edited that hub down to a single item per text capsule.

While I may not have had personal experience with that particular brand or model (my own stuff, I've had since camping with my family as a child), because the same models no longer exist.  However, that does not mean I'm unfamiliar with, or have never used the general category of items, such as camp stoves or sleeping bags.

Yet, that hub had a "too many ads" notice. It rather peeved me, as the word count was adequate for each, per the new rules, so that's when I edited it down to a single ad per topic paragraph.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Removing Amazon capsules won't make your Hub more likely to be chosen. If the Hub is judged worthy, they will snip any Amazon ads they don't want.

Hubs are chosen mainly by whether Google likes them, ie Hubs that get good Google traffic.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello.

Redact. Declined.

2. agilitymach profile image93
      agilitymachposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe this is quite true.  I think they are looking for authors who are "experts."  I believe I read that while Google traffic is a consideration, some Hubs that get low traffic may be moved if it provides good information from an author who is an expert, the Hub is of high quality and the Hub will fit well into the site.  I've had some low traffic Hubs go over.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The way I read it was that the Hubs with high traffic get priority, but that each site also needs to have a balanced spread of articles across all its categories and selecting just high-traffic Hubs won't achieve that - so then, they start looking for Hubs to fill the gaps using the criteria you describe.

1. agilitymach profile image93
          agilitymachposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That would make sense.  But they also said that expertise was very important.  In PetHelpful, I noticed that authors with expertise had many, many articles transferred.  I can think of at least four. I don't know how those Hubs were doing traffic-wise.  I also don't know about the other sites as I don't write on other topics, so I don't pay attention to author expertise on those topics. smile  Of course HP is going to pull over the high traffic Hubs, but I believe they will also pull over the quality Hubs to fill in the site.  I believe they would pull over a quality Hub even if there was already a high traffic Hub on that topic.  I believe quality, traffic and expertise are the major keys here.  From my 24ish Hubs pulled over, that seems to be the case.  I have both high traffic and low traffic Hubs pulled over.  The ones that didn't go were my first Hubs when i was learning the ropes here, and they are not of the highest quality.  I wouldn't pull them over either. (With the exception of one or two.) big_smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

Just so wish to talk.

Pick up your phone--reach out and touch someone.  big_smile

Hammered by solicitors, ringer off.

Ringer on for next hour.

Poker playing days. Where are that?

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

We need to talk.

smile

Here.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

I'm live here. What's up?

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Upper right, Chron.

Oops! I smile'd at the wrong time.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

Partly 'bumping,' and also a new, related question.

If a hub has been 'snipped' of any and all links, but we still want people to know we have  sideways-related subject hubs, couldn't we replace the snipped link with text along the lines of, "...as written about in my article titled "how to find an article" on Hub Pages." ???

I haven't had that kind of link snipped from my Hub.   Was the link truly related?

If you are linking to a related Hub or to a useful relevant site, the link would not usually be snipped.  I've only had a few Hubs moved to the new sites and the only links that have been snipped are affiliate links.  Maybe your "sideways-related" Hub was not related enough?

Marisa, good morning. I had a hub snipped recently. The hub was my review of a certain television show. I left my ratings/stars at the bottom of the hub and HP deleted that section. Why?

I can't shed any light on that I'm afraid.

Marisa, that's cool. No problem. Peace to you, good friend.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
          Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ken,

Please see my response to Rachael here: http://hubpages.com/community/forum/136 … ost2817522

It sounds like you're asking the same question. smile

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Marissa:
        The snipped link was in my hub on Boating Lingo, in which there is a brief section on navigation.  The snipped link referred to my (I thought) somewhat related article on how to find your way with a compass, which applies anywhere, on or off the water.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)