Suggestions on increasing revenue to a popular hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I'm a bit lost and unsure if there's anything I can to to increase revenue from one particular hub of mine:

http://hubpages.com/hub/wall-decor-photo-display

This one hub accounts for 27%-35% of my daily views, every single day, yet I rarely get any clicks, and when I do they are only a few pennies. BTW, it's not doing well on the Amazon front, either.

Perhaps there's nothing I can do because I did not choose a high paying topic, but I thought it worth asking.  Anyone willing to give me some constructive criticism?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish I knew!  I have a hub exactly like yours (albeit on a totally different subject) - it gets about a third of my overall daily views, yet generates very little income.  What I've just done is to put an Amazon capsule on it but you've already done that on yours.   Maybe add some more Amazon items, but really cheap ones like picture hooks/nails?  Maybe people will click on those and buy other, unrelated stuff at the same time.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help LOL.

2. Jenna May Swan profile image57
      Jenna May Swanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi,  why not try putting an amazon widget up at the top right before any pics so there is something for folks to click on right away - I'm guessing as this is a visual-design type hub, pics of things are more likely to get clicked than texty adsense.

Just a theory!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was just about to suggest exactly the same thing.  I'd try moving the second Amazon widget (the one with the sets of frames) top-right.  The Adsense ads don't seem to be particularly relevant and that Amazon widget could do well up there (but then you can never tell with Amazon's short cookie).

Best of luck.

2. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

I noticed that your linking to other stuff in your "more stuff" area, but your not doing it within your text. Perhaps create a hub or whatever that has higher paying keywords and more lucrative stuff, then link to it within the first or second paragraph of that hub. You may get some nice run-off that way.

3. Lily Rose profile image85

Thanks for all the suggestions - perhaps trying to focus more on Amazon is what I need to do instead of AdSense.  I'll try tweaking that later today and see where it gets me.  I've also published a bunch of home decorating hubs since this one and I'll try adding some linking to them within the text...

Thanks again...

4. Lily Rose profile image85

Okay, I tweaked the hub a little bit - moved the first set of pictures down so AdSense can have that top spot, and I added in some Amazon capsules within the hub rather than just below.  Should be interesting to see if this affects the revenue from this hub...

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

5. free4india profile image59
    free4indiaposted 13 years ago

I really do not know if googleads are purely based on the topic u write.  There are options if not selected google might show ads that are interesting to the people as determined by google.  Also traffic coming through search engine gets more paid for clicks than another hub traffic.

6. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

The article is very well written and great photos too. The only thing was I found it very busy. I had no idea where to read first. Try the adage..less is more. Just some thoughts. smile

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Lily, you need to ask yourself "if someone searches for 'photo display', what do they want to buy?"     Then display Amazon ads for that.

When I looked at the Hub, the Adsense ads were about photographic services, which people probably aren't looking for - so I think it's worth putting your own Amazon ad in the top right-hand corner instead.  Search for "photo display" on Amazon and see what comes up - stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Malden-2056-50-Ae … y_k_text_b

I see there are also a few listings for sets of matching frames - I'd think people trying to make a photo display would be more interested in that than individual ones.

I would also revise your first two paragraphs. Remember you're writing for strangers, not for other Hubbers - telling them you had no clue how to do a wall display won't inspire confidence in your recommendations!    You need to hook readers in your first sentence or two. I always say, if my first paragraph doesn't make a good summary, I've got my first paragraph wrong. 

Finally, I think Dame Scribe has a point.  There's great information there, but it's a bit disjointed.  Try to divide the instructions up into logical paragraphs and have one or two products directly relevant to each paragraph. For instance, you recommend some hooks but the recommendation gets lost in the middle of a whole lot of frames.  Write a short paragraph about how to fasten your photos to the wall, and have the capsule with the hooks right next to it.

Remember it's fine to have only one Amazon product in a capsule, so you can often fit both a photo and a related capsule next to a paragraph.

8. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Pageviews only tells a part of the story. Have you activated Analytics? Do you know how long people are staying on your hub? Analytics will tell you if people viewing your hub read the first sentence and leave, or whether they stick around long enough to get deeper into the text.

And I totally agree with Marissa. I would revise your first two paragraphs. In the first four sentences, you use the word "I" eight times. Don't take this the wrong way, but prospective buyers are not that interested in "you." They're interested in how a particular product can benefit them.

9. SteveoMc profile image73
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Irohner and Marisa Wright are right about the two first paragraphs.  I'm not sure about how to make money or increase traffic, but I would 86 the first two paragraphs completely, they basically have nothing to do with your expertise which appears to be authoritative and very well researched and presented.

Leave those two paragraphs out completely.  Look, I am not artist and have struggled with the same thing you are covering here.  I want the cold hard facts, tell me what to do.  As a person looking for suggestions, I don't care about the rest.

10. ilmdamaily profile image69
    ilmdamailyposted 13 years ago

Loving all these suggestions:-)

I might suggest something a little alternative though.

Have you considered selling a link or two on your page?

If it's getting enough traffic, you may be able to post a free ad somewhere on the 'net to find a buyer looking for backlinks.

There'll almost certainly be someone willing to pay for a relevant backlink. Probably won't make much money (like $1 or $2 p/month, but maybe worth a shot.)

Good luck!

1. Gurdit Singh profile image57
      Gurdit Singhposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love all these suggestions . I have been trying to increase my income for sometime now and I must say the bad work which "backlinking" to get the Hub to rank in Google SERPS is really the key to it. The work is not good but yes it pays.

Once you have the hub ranked decently then you may monetize it with Adsense or Amazon or Ebay

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gurdit, in your shoes I would stop writing Hubs and start sorting out the ones you have.   Poor or inadequate ad placement and insufficient content aren't going to help you.

11. jstankevicz profile image73
    jstankeviczposted 13 years ago

I had a similar problem with an article; good traffic and readership, but virtually no clicks! I looked at the adds that were being posted and saw poor connection with my topic; and some off the wall ads!

The solution was to rethink the topic and what ads I wanted. I added a new paragraph of content that allowed me to introduce the keywords I needed, without rewriting, or seriously altering the title and main content which was already generating traffic.

I deleted some repeated words that had became unintentional keywords, drawing unwanted ads. Adjusted tags, and introduced better targeted keywords did the trick and I started getting some clicks. The HubPage hasn't become a monster click magnet, but at least it makes me some measurable AdSense cents.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)