Not Featured

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 7 years ago

Hi All 

I know others have asked this question but I am clueless about how to further improve this hub and have edited it now 8 times. It keeps not being featured for quality.  It's on Dog Birthday Parties.  My intention in adding this to my site is to show the versatility of my writing.  I am now faced with deleting the entire thing after a great deal of work. 

My first 22 article were all featured and over half went immediately to niche  sites.  I'm not trying to suggest that I can't write a poor article, I know I still have a lot to learn.  I'm am only prefacing this because I don't think I suddenly write differently than I have in terms of quality on the first 22 articles.  I went through and edited extremely carefully, reworded certain things.  No dice.  I added some research to make the article have some empirical background to it along with a reference section.  Nothing.  I added a section on special themes for the party. Still not featured.  I added a poll.  Same status.  I changed two of my three pictures to ensure they were high quality. No change.  I reworked one of the sections to make it more inclusive. Not featured. I went through and added additional practical suggestions and advice to every section.  No cigar. 

Is it possible it's just the topic and even if I won a Pulitzer for the darn thing anything on Dog Birthday Parties is just never going to be featured?  I really do want to add some articles that are less serous and fun to show my range of writing skills and topics covered but am not going to spend the time doing this if there is no point to it and I end up deleting them.  I almost deleted this one a minute ago as I can't see the sense in making up things to edit for a 9th time to no avail, but I thought I'd check with the group first.  Thanks.

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Natalie,

Don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that! That's good, by the way. However, I am wondering if you have gone a little too academic for such a light-hearted topic. Will your readers be wanting all the extra information if they are just looking for ideas for a dog birthday party?

A couple of things.

Add source links to your photos. I'm sure you know that they must be legal-to use.

Remove the unrelated Amazon capsules. They are probably the main reason your hub isn't being featured. You might think they are relevant to the topic, but they are not.

Best of luck.

2. Luke Holm profile image88
    Luke Holmposted 7 years ago

It would be nice to be able to review it for ourselves.  I can't find it on our page.  Can you post a link?

3. chasmac profile image90
    chasmacposted 7 years ago

Two of your photos aren't good enough. The 2nd photo is pixelated and also the cake is out of focus. In the 4th photo, the main subject (the dog bones/ biscuits) is out of focus. Poor focus and pixelation are reasons stated by HP (somewhere) for preventing a Hub from being featured.

4. Ed Schofield profile image85
    Ed Schofieldposted 7 years ago

You seem quite able to write well, so I shouldn't think that's a problem. If you have 'spammy' links to any products better get them out. I wanted a picture of a Muppet character and found a product on Amazon with a good picture. I included an 'Amazon' instead of a photo. Since the article was not really about the Muppets it was considered 'spammy'. Removed it, voila!
    If you've been warned once by and editor, the bad thing is they never warn you again, so subsequent violations are a total mystery.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

What you're missing is that "Not Featured for Quality" usually has NOTHING to do with quality.  That statement just means you broke a rule.  So trying to improve the "quality" by adding photos or capsules or rewording or anything is a waste of time.  You need to identify the rule you broke, and fix it.

I'm guessing it's the unrelated Amazon capsules.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years ago

Star Wars costumes for dogs has nothing to do with a birthday party. Removing that link is probably all you had to do to get it featured.

I don't think I'd mention research quite as much at the top of the article, but I bet that's something you added to try to improve it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)