I would like feed back on my first hub.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. bbanks27 profile image86
    bbanks27posted 7 years ago

I am completely new to article writing. I would like to know how the grammar is. How bad is my punctuation? Scale of 1-10 for my first article? Please and thank you.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I took a peek and here are some of my thoughts:

Your sections are far too long.  You need to break them up more.
      You should limit your article to one area of Gecko care, rather than trying to cover the entire gamut.
      Photos of products from places other than Amazon are not acceptable.
      Photos that use Facebook as a source are not acceptable unless you have special permission from the photographer and state that you do.
      I see some grammatical errors here and there, but overall, your writing is good.
      Your title is too long.
      You should make your photos full width so that they meet the standards for mobile viewing.

If I were you I'd do these things:

Read the info in the learning center about how to create a stellar hub
      Use a grammar and spell checker
      learn how to use and source public domain or other photos

Also, try not to write about topics that you can find info on all over the web.  To do well with online writing you need to come up with topics that really interest people and make them want to read more.

I know this is a lot, but it takes a long time to learn how to write online.  It's good that you asked for advice, and I hope you will take the advice I just gave you to heart.

Good luck.

2. Jason mackenzie profile image78
      Jason mackenzieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi, overall very interesting and informative hub and a bit of improvement in terms of grammar would render it better. For example, your title, you can do away with the 'A'.

Likewise, in this heading - 'The History Of The Crested Gecko' - you can remove 'The' which is at the beginning. And same for the heading 'Determining The Sex Of Your Crested Gecko' - it would sound better without 'The' being in it.

How about making a more imaginative use of your capsules rather than have all the writing on one side and the images on the other? Using blue boxes and call-out boxes will enable you to highlight certain points and also break the monotony of content.

Hope I have been helpful, thanks, regards...

1. bbanks27 profile image86
        bbanks27posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you but can you explain a little more? I can move my pictures around? Or monotony of content? Can you explain to me how to do that please? Thank you!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Have you broken your text up into separate capsules?   Then put your pictures between the capsules.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Jason, FYI - you can't use the blue boxes any more.    I don't know why HubPages still offers them. 

The trouble is that when someone views HubPages on a mobile device, ALL capsules automatically become full width and crucially, the background colour disappears.  So your blue box looks just like an ordinary paragraph.

HubPages tells us that the great majority of visitors to HP are viewing on a mobile device so that means most people see your highlight box as just another paragraph.

2. bbanks27 profile image86

I did get permission from each person to use their photo. They actually asked me to use their photo. I take pictures, so I know the feeling. I just thought I would give everyone a chance for their photos to be in my first article. I was told that as long as I get permission to use their photos then I can. Is that true?

Yes, but I would not put Facebook as the source as this makes it appear as though you just copied and used those photos.

3. bbanks27 profile image86

Thank you for being honest with me.

4. bbanks27 profile image86

Can you explain to me why I have to use only amazon's photos? I'm not signed up for their adsence if it has anything to do with it. I heard I need 10 articles to sign up for adsence.

Amazon and Adsense are two different things.  Amazon sells products and allows writers to advertise them on HP and pay them a fee whenever somebody buys something via an Amazon ad.

Adsense also pays to advertise but you have to be approved for it before they will.

You need to read the learning center info about how to earn money here so that you understand what I'm talking about.

Take a look at a few hubs from other people to see how they do their ads, layouts, etc.

5. bbanks27 profile image86

Thank you. How do you go about having amazon products on your hub? I heard you have to have 10 articles in order to do that.

6. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 7 years ago

I highly recommend hopping over to The Learning Center.  As a newbie there is plenty to learn and this is the place to start.  You've been given excellent advice here in the forum.  I've been a member of HP for 7 years...I'm still learning.  smile

7. bbanks27 profile image86

Thanks!

8. Jason mackenzie profile image78
    Jason mackenzieposted 7 years ago

Hi bbanks27...wasn't aware of the blue boxes not being around any more but support Marisa Wright's suggestion of alternating images and content and also at some places having them side by side. What about call-out boxes? I think those are still a part of the capsule list and can be used to highlight important information. Thanks, regards...

9. Jason mackenzie profile image78
    Jason mackenzieposted 7 years ago

Hi Marisa Wright...wasn't aware that blue boxes are no longer applicable. But I think it is possible to shift part of the content on to the right, indicate it as a separate box - may not be blue but ash-grey - and bold the important points. That in itself is sufficient to segregate the content into a different section altogether. Do you agree?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I didn't say blue boxes were no longer applicable.  You can still use them BUT just try clicking "Preview" on a Hub, then make sure you're looking at the Mobile version.  You'll see everything is full width and all your blue backgrounds have disappeared.

Try it and see whether you think your solution works.

1. Jason mackenzie profile image78
        Jason mackenzieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

hmmmm...never checked out the responsive format - will do and revert with whatever I find. But am sure what you are saying must be correct because surely you must have observed it happening with your hubs. Thanks for the info, truly appreciate...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)