Is Senator John McCain qualified to serve?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (42 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

Recent events surround Senator McCain leads one to wonder. Is he qualified to continue as Senator?
    He seems confused in the Comey hearing. His latest comments about Trump vs. Obama have people wondering. What is he thinking? Why is he still in the GOP?  Is he suffering from TDS?

1. mike102771 profile image70
      mike102771posted 6 years agoin reply to this

The only qualifications to be in any political office here in America is to be over the age listed for the job (anywhere from 18 to 35) and enough suckers I mean voters to vote you in. If we asked for people to show they are qualified then both the congress and senate would be very empty.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wow. If his constituents decided he was qualified after that disastrously bizarre bid for the presidency I doubt an oddity here or there-now-will have any effect on them.

1. GA Anderson profile image90
        GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Live to Learn, I certainly agree with you on this one. Both parts, disastrous and bizarre.

With his Sarah Palin choice fitting both descriptors. When I first heard of it, I thought it was a brilliant stroke - until I heard her speak. Bless her heart, she just doesn't have a telegenic voice. (nor do I). But after hearing her speak, her tone and substance, I just couldn't think of more of an "Odd Couple."

To carry the weight of the ticket that McCain couldn't, was just to much to ask of her. And she failed badly trying to do it. Yep, disastrous and bizarre just about covers it.

How in the world did McCain get the nomination? I am just too discouraged to try to remember.

Oh well, at least we have Trump now... *(fill in this blank)*

GA

1. Live to Learn profile image60
          Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Fill in the blank?

'It could have been worse. Hillary could have won the presidency.'

... as in *(giggle-giggle)* or *(snicker-snicker)* or *(Amen!)* Take your pick.

GA

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

He's no more or less erratic than usual.  And even as a person on the opposite side of the political spectrum, I have to admit he has flashes of brilliance that more than balance his weird moments. His follow up comments after Trump insulted the Australian PM, for example, were pitch perfect.

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I guess that is why The NYT loved him until they didn't???

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

This morning, when I saw news reports of his comment that American leadership was stronger under Obama I knew the smear campaign would begin.

If one is a rational person, one could not logically question McCain's fitness to serve without also questioning Trump's fitness to serve, especially with regard to displaying "confusion."

So, his performance in the Comey hearing is not an issue with you? It is a sign of a problem with our current political system. A man serving for 30 years and have nothing to show for it except nonsense and grand standing. What has he done for the people elected him? Why do theses people re-elect him again and again? The better question is who supports his campaign and pay for his re-election bids?

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I respect John McCain, even though I disagree with him on most policy issues.  However, it is worth noting that your sudden disdain for McCain occurred right after he questioned dear leader's ability to lead the U.S. on the world stage.  I'm pretty sure if McCain had not made that comment, you would not be criticizing him now.  I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

He is smearing McCain because he reads Breitbart. Breitbart is smearing McCain because Steve Bannon controls Breitbart.

When McCain attacks Trump, Trump runs to Bannon in the next office and tells him to go after McCain with Breitbart.

Welcome to the new propaganda.

4. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

The Song Bird of Saigon John McCain is a Rino.  Republican in name only.  He has to act the fool,  pretending to be what he is not.  I have follow this guy's life since the Vietnam War.  I have no respect for John McCain, he is a deceiver, a liar.  He doesn't have a conservative bone in his body, I don't care what he says, his action have spoken loud and clear.

I agree. H has used his service in Vietnam war as a crutch same as Kerry... He has accomplished little.

I have been saying this for a long time. The GOP is not Conservative. A conservative like me does not support the GOP leadership and they despise the TEA party. They give conservatives a bad name and I am sick of it. We need to drain the swamp of both parties.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Their policies are what a lot of people who call themselves conservative, call conservative.  Its become a "some animals are more equal than others" situation.  The spectrum is cut roughly in half, so of course there is diversity within each half.

What policies the GOP leadership pushes are conservative?
            If anything, they are the party of Democrat lite? They push for more government and support bigger budget year after year...

They are working for donors, not the people who elected them...sad

2. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

As a former member of the armed forces, I have infinitely more respect for a war hero like McCain than that of a candy assed cowardly, draft dodging plutocrat like Donald J. Trump.

I guess that says it all?

You would like him...
          RINO like McCain should be the darling of all democrats.
          This TDS is gone way too far.
          I asked this before and no one has been able to give a straight answer.
          What if Trump delivers on his promises...? what would you Never Trumpers do?
          It happened before under Reagan.
          To this day, there are some who despises Reagan even after 30 years...
          They are the fringe.

1. Credence2 profile image79
            Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

You would like him...
            ------
            Mc Cain is a Republican and naturally I do not share his political views, obviously. But because he is a real man and not a coward, I will give him credit for that.
            ----------
            RINO like McCain should be the darling of all democrats.
            This TDS is gone way too far.
            ------------
            TDS is just beginning, jacklee.  I have given your answer if Trump delivers, I will certainly acknowledge it, but he is not even close. He has turned everything on its head and every thing he touches turns into excrement.
            ---------------

I asked this before and no one has been able to give a straight answer.
            What if Trump delivers on his promises...? what would you Never Trumpers do?
            It happened before under Reagan.
            To this day, there are some who despises Reagan even after 30 years...
            They are the fringe.
            --------------------------------

You need to re-research, people who had problems with Reagan and his administration are not just on lunatic fringe as you seem to suggest. I did not care for Reagan or his policies, but he is comparably a better than Trump, but isn't anybody or everybody?

Credence2, Trump has delivered on a slew of things already but unfortunately, that is not what the press is reporting. It is Russia 24/7 with them.

1. Appointed Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
              2. Remove regulations to help small business.
              3. Reduced EPA budget and pull of of Paris Accord. Coal miners are begining to work again...
              4. Success oversea trip to Israel, Italy, Saudia Arabia and Nato...
              5. Negotiated Billion of dollar deals with the Saudi.
              6. Market at all time highs. (leading indicator)
              7. Begin the repeal and replace of failed ACA
              8. Attacked ISIS and killed many of their leaders - the mother of all bombs dropped
              9. job market improving
              10. Getting NATO to step up paying for their fair share of their defenses.

I will stop there. There are much more but you will never give him any credits...

1. profile image0
                promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have to say this entire list consists of the following items:

1) Actions with little impact on the country (the Mideast trip, alleged reduction in regulations)

2) Downright failures (failure to kill ACA on Day 1 as promised, zero new funds for NATO, other leaders laughing at him during his speeches)

3) Trends that started years ago under Obama (stock market, job market, the Saudi deal, ISIS attacks).

4) Incredibly irresponsible decisions that will kill jobs and damage the environment (Paris Accord)

2. GA Anderson profile image90

Hello jackclee, you frequently describe your responses as non-partisan conservative positions, which is a nice change from the frequent partisan declarations we see from others, but I think I have seen your list of Pres. Trump accomplishments before, and rather than add to your list, I would question some that you included.

For instance, every president has appointed Supreme Court Justices, some had rebuffed nominees, but followed with successful ones - so why do you consider Pres. Trump's Court nominee a laudable success to be listed?

Although I do commend Pres. Trump's visit to Israel, many other presidents have made successful overseas trips, why is Pres. Trump's a list candidate as a standout achievement?

The $110 Billion dollar Saudi deal is another listed item with more questions. For one; even if accepted as true, it doesn't outrank Pres. Obama's $112 Billion dollars of 'completed' arms sales to the Saudis in his 8 years. But... Pres. Trump's deal is not a 'done' deal. At this point it is only a potential deal.

The DefenseNews site described it like this;
                "President Donald Trump’s visit to Saudi Arabia on May 20 drew headlines for what was billed as a $110 billion arms agreement. However, experts quickly pointed out that much of the deal was speculative, as any arms sale has to go through the process of being cleared by the State Department, then Congress, before going through an often lengthy negotiating period with industry..."

"... The document does, however, reveal the different buckets that make up the $110 billion figure, including “LOAs to be offered at visit,” or letters of agreement that the Kingdom has already requested and the Trump administration supports ..."

"The largest pot of money involves the “MOIs to be offered at visit” section, totaling $84.8 billion. That section represents potential sales, or memos of intent, that the Trump team offered to the Saudis while in Riyadh. "

.You will find that those "buckets" that they refer to are potential arms sales that were initiated, but not yet fulfilled, during Pres. Obama's terms. And you should note that those "buckets that came from the Trump visit were in the form of MOIs, (Memos of Intent), LOOs, (Letters of Offer), and LOAs, (Letters of Agreement), but none are 'done deal' contracts.

The Brookings Institute, (yes, a Liberal bastion*), describes the specific components of the deal as;
                "There is no $110 billion deal. Instead, there are a bunch of letters of interest or intent, but not contracts. Many are offers that the defense industry thinks the Saudis will be interested in someday. So far nothing has been notified to the Senate for review. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the arms sales wing of the Pentagon, calls them “intended sales.” None of the deals identified so far are new, all began in the Obama administration."
                *Yes, I did read with an expectation of Liberal bias, but facts are facts - no matter the spin of their presentation.

So why is Pres. Trump's deal such a success as to make your list?

*And the record high market? Yep, it broke all previous records under the Obama tenure too. The Dow-Jones Average - up from around $6500 to over $20,000? Up over 200% under Pres. Obama. So why does its continued rise meet your list standards for a Pres. Trump success?
                *I do not believe the DJA, or the market in general is a realistic indicator of Middle America's economic condition. I would not have included it for any president,  I am just addressing your point.

As you say, "I will stop there." But I am interested in what you think about these expansions on your list points.

GA

GA, I will be happy to explain them. There is a lot in your points and they may require a hub to details everything.
                  Let me just give a few responses.
                  1. On Supreme court appointments, we conservatives felt some of Obama's picks have been too political and have not abide by our Constitution in their rulings. We want an originalist in the court and Gorsuch is such a person. Our Constitution has been perverted by the left in interpreting rights and laws that does not belong to the court but belongs to Congress and the people. The Amendment process is the correct way to go instead of rulings by 9 Justices in some cases 5-4.
                  2. With regard to economy, true Obama has produced good results on wall street however, here is the major difference. Obama created a false economy by keeping interested rate near 0 percent. This has the effect of forcing many fix income investors into the stock market thereby driving it upwards.
                  The problem with Obama's economy is that it was a weak recovery where no one benefited and we had lost jobs and wages that were not replaced. More people dropped out of the work force and into disability... you can place the blame mainly on the ACA. The requirement of health coverage of 50 full time employees is what has been keeping the recovery anemic. Many companies opted to create part time workers to get around this requirement.
                  3. Foreign policy - Obama's doctrine of leading from behind was a total failure. We lost respect ad a country and the world was made more dangerous. He was cuddling our enemies and keeping our ally at bay. The Iran nuclear deal was a disaster and we got very little out of it. Trump's trip changed all that around. We will lead and he is making some of our allies follow wherher they like it or not.
                  4. In the area of jobs, he has stopped the corporations from out sourcing American jobs. Some have already reversed course and bring manufacturing jobs back to USA...
                  I can write a whole Hub on differences between the two administrations so far in only 6 months...

Hi jackclee,

To be clear, my use of Pres. Obama comparisons weren't intended to be Pres. Obama kudos. I pretty much agree with your point about his economic recovery, not completely, but close enough.

And I liked Gorsuch's confirmation. He is the kind of Justice I want to see on the bench, I just don't think appointing a Justice deserves to make a list of presidential accomplishments - in the vein of touting them as successes to be applauded.

I mentioned my thought that the financial market is not a true indicator of the average American's economic condition, so that, (combined with Pres. Obama's market performance), is why I also didn't think that should be on your list.

To the successful overseas trip... well, considering the symbolic perspective you note, and since I do agree with that aspect of the trip, maybe I should bend a little on that one.

But the one you left out, the $110 Billion Saudi deal, I am glad you skipped it, because I can see no defense for that claim. I am sure you can find a replacement for it on your list.

Jobs... I think it is a little early to call that one. It seems some of those corporate about-faces may not be what they seem, or the numbers as high as proclaimed, but... the policy direction is clear, and that very well may have a future impact. I think we need to wait and see if that is a valid list candidate.

GA

3. profile image0

You and colorfulone will call a war hero like McCain a liar and a fool, while defending that  corrupt, cowardly, incompetent, lying whiny little b!tch.  Disgusting.

2. GA Anderson profile image90

"The Song Bird of Saigon... " "...  act the fool..." "... a deceiver, a liar..."

This is a new low for you Colorfulone. However, I can share in one of your sentiments. Now I too "no longer have respect" for someone.

GA

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

He is a Republican in many other ways i assure you.  But these days a Reagan-style Republican is a centrist.

6. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

Anti-American!

1. profile image0

Seriously?  You have a lot of nerve calling McCain, Comey, or credence2 anti-American after writing that adoring missive about murdering dictator Vladimir Putin.  Even more disgusting!

"It witnesses to my spirit that Putin is a Christian.  You can't believe all the propaganda that gets spread about him.  Russia does not have a Rothschild central bank, and the Globalists would like to overthrow Putin and the Russian government and put in a leader that would bow to them, and screw the citizens for all they can.

Putin is a very honest man, he tells the truth, he works for the good of the people and country, and he will protect them with everything he has. He is a true leader!"

http://hubpages.com/politics/forum/1417 … ost2894214

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Republicans offer Trump no support , for fear of backlash - cowards all.

Democrats , most of them ,  are in denial of Hilary's demise -Yes , still !

Independents , have little to offer or to gain in the government houses ,  they simply coast .

The media - tells you what to think and you do it willingly !

Until the voters get off their collective a$$es and get interested  in the survival of democracy  ,demand term limits ,  legislative report cards or something similar ,  John  McCain  , just as any of them that you mindlessly keep writing in the boxes , deserves to serve as long as his constituents feel he''s effective in office.   Otherwise you  , him , her or I would be sitting in his chair.

Anybody really care how few voters actually even vote?

You are so right. We get the government we deserve. The people voted to keep McCain in office.
      However, his performance is open to criticism by all just ad Trump or Obama are open to criticisms...
      The fact is he had done very little in the 30 years on the Senate. Please, tell us what major legislation has he proposed and passed? I can't think of any. I voted for him in 2008 and not because I liked him. I voted for the lesser of the 2 party... I thought Romney would have been the better candidate.
      Going forward, we need term limits to keep our government from self destuction,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)