Switched to Adsense only for the first time ever!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 6 years ago

Feeling slightly apprehensive and even a little guilty for having done so! Do HubPages earn a share of my Adsense earnings and what would the effect be if everyone switched to Adsense?

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Some people do better and some do worse. I did worse. I suggest giving it one to two weeks to see if it makes a difference.

2. Kain 360 profile image92
      Kain 360posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Keep us posted. For me, it would be kind of a gamble to switch to adsense. In 2011-2012 I did excellent with the HP earnings program. And I've returned to HP after 3 years and I am doing decent.

As far as I know; most people do better with HP program than adsense. It might depend on what niche(s) you focus on.

sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Will do.

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

Sally, from what I have read in forums a number of people are switching to Adsense only and saying their earnings have increased. I think it may work for some and not others. Hubs like yours that get a lot of traffic from Google search would probably do well, but my poetry hubs wouldn't. You also need to accumulate $100 before getting a payout as well.
    One person said that you lose any Amazon earnings though unless you have a separate Amazon account from HubPages...others disputed that. Apparently HubPages still gets a percentage of AdSense sales though, so don't feel guilty. Good luck.

Thanks, Jodah, I needed that reassurance.  I care about this site but have been so disappointed over the past few months when earnings have been so low.  I worked so hard and reached a point when I made regular payments but then the carpet was swept from underneath my feet.  I did not know about Amazon.  Currently, it looks as if it is still active so I will wait and see.  I will give it a go for a few weeks and see what happens.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

You do not lose Amazon income when you switch to Adsense only. I asked the team about this and they made it very clear that this is the case.  The hubber who made that statement has apologized for his mistake in stating this.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Yes, HubPages gets a share of your Adsense earnings just the same as they did with HP Ads, so they are not disadvantaged in any way.

It doesn't affect your ability to earn from Amazon - someone did raise that, but it turned out to be a misunderstanding.

The only thing to watch for is that on HubPages, your earnings balance must increase by a dollar or two every six months, otherwise your account becomes inactive and you lose all your earnings.   Obviously, provided you're earning a few dollars from Amazon that will be enough to keep you safe.  It's really only a problem for people who don't use Amazon.

Marisa. so my concern for the site was misplaced:)  I always like to do the right thing but this time I have to do it for me to see if I can improve my earnings.  Appreciate the advice about the HubPages balance, thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I hope it helps.  I know several other people have found their earnings improved greatly on Adsense.  I'm finding it's working out about the same as HP Ads.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

At first I felt the same way as you, but I then realized that HP wouldn't give the Adsense option if they didn't earn from it...after all, they're in business to make money!

Try it for a week and see how you do.  You can always switch back whenever you like!  I know it doesn't work for everybody, but you won't know unless you try.

For me, it has worked out beautifully, so I intend to stick with it until I see things changing for the worse.

Good Luck

I switched last night at about 2 am in the morning and by morning I was doing surprisingly well and then I noticed that I had several Amazon sales which take me pretty close to payout so I switched back temporarily but will definitely return to Adsense again for the rest of the experiment.  Seemed silly to delay payout if I was nearly there:)

4. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

I think I'll give it a shot once CPMs decline in the summer because right now I'm on a hot streak with the Ad program.

The initial step of dropping out of the HubPages program for me was the difficult part, better now that I have tried it:)

5. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 years ago

"Confusion Bomb Hits Geezer Journalist."

I made an attempt to sign on to AdSense but ended the enterprise in a purple-faced miasma of bewilderment. I called in second-born. He clicked on a button that said "Historical version" or something like that and we whisked through the process. "How did you know to hit that button?" I asked. "I didn't," he said, "but I thought it was worth a try." How do you get to that stage of adventurous experimentation?

So, I'm happily signed in. No I'm not. When I go to the Adsense page there's a message on a red background (We all know that red means danger) that says something about payments being on hold on account of a incomplete registration. So, if that's the case why did Google AdSense deposit (woohoo) 55 cents into my bank account? (I had apparently reached the $100 threshold through other nefarious activities).

Same deal with Amazon. Totally perplexing registration system. Some sort Amazon fatwa has been issued against my innocent soul that bans me for life from sullying their commercial empire. Same purple-faced etc. Now, daily e-mails arrive - "You need to complete your Amazon registration."

Somebody shoot me please.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

That 55 cent deposit was a test to make sure that your account was working correctly.  If you check, I think you'll see that they took it back.

HP has a section on the earnings page that allows you to sign up for Adsense.  Were you using that?  You may have been trying to sign up for your own, individual account but you don't need to do that if you only write for HP.

Sorry you had so many problems.  Maybe some of the others here can help you with some of this.  It's been quite awhile since I signed up and I had no problems whatsoever..but I used the link on the earning settings.

6. Jesse Drzal profile image92
    Jesse Drzalposted 6 years ago

I switched over for two days. I ran back to Hub Ad Program like a scared critter with tail between its legs. I just had a feeling I was going to take a bath and not the clean and refreshing variety.

I know how you feel now:)

7. Rupert Taylor profile image96

Thanks Time Traveller but I can't be bothered. It's not worth the rise in blood pressure to sort out these techie things.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Rupert, that's fine, so long as you understand it means you can't earn a cent from HubPages.  You must have an active Adsense account before the HP Earnings Program will actually work.

8. Rupert Taylor profile image96

But, my earnings report for HP shows steady growth since the last Google thingy (I believe that's the technical term) wrecked everybody's fun. Does this mean that even though I'm close to the $50 threshold I won't get paid when I pass it? This world is not meant for us septuagenarians. Perhaps I should go back to my Victorian-clerk's-desk-and-quill-pen comfort zone.

Have you already earned money here and been paid?  If so, you must already have been approved for Adsense.  If I were you I'd email the team and ask them to check your records.  You've been here quite awhile, so it seems to me that surely you've earned in the past. Perhaps you forgot that you signed up for Adsense.  I'm 74, so if I can work things out here, so can you!

smile

9. Rupert Taylor profile image96

First born rode in on his trusty i.t. steed and solved the problem in 30 seconds. It seems I had to verify something but there were no instructions to do so.

That's great!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)