Automatic Compression of Uploaded Jpg Images

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

When images are uploaded, they get scaled to a max dimension of 1024 pixels wide (the fully zoomed version that is). However are they compressed to any degree? I know this is something we should do ourselves before uploading in order to see the effects, but even a small amount of compression can make a large difference to filesize without any noticeable reduction in image quality.
    Is there any way of compressing all the images on a hub without manually downloading, compressing and re-uploading?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately we don't offer this capability, so it's something you'll have to do off of HubPages and re-upload.

eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ok, thanks for the feedback Christy. Looks like I've a lot of work to do!

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Before you go crazy reducing the size of images, check your Google Analytics Speed reports.

I check mine to see which hubs are loading slowly and I only work on those if they have oversized images. Google even gives suggestions for improvements.

Under “Behavior” go to "Site Speed > Speed Suggestions"

Ok, thanks Glenn, good advice!
            Two of my top traffic hubs have 54 and 45 photos, most of which are likely to be 1024 pixels wide (scaled from 1600 on upload).

2. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Interestingly, a hub with only 18 images (which were heavily cropped), is the slowest loading at 29.9 seconds.
    Another odd thing is that Google Analytics Intelligence is telling me that one of my pages (the one with 45 images on it), had a significantly longer loading time for the month of August - approx. 26 sec as opposed to 15 seconds for July.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I guess it's possible that it was coming from a different server which was faster or slower. I believe that HubPages uses Amazon's Web Hosting Service, which uses redundancy to avoid down-time. Maybe the team can chime in on that.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't take automated reports from Google analytics too seriously unless you notice traffic issues. My big, image-heavy pages have always done fine.

You can start to develop a kind of writerchondria if you are not willing to take stuff with a pinch of salt.

Also, the whole page load thing is something to delegate to staff. It is so basic, they must monitor it all the time.

4. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

What connection speed do they base their load times on, or is it an average?
    Could this intelligence report simply indicate that there was a greater proportion of readers from a country with low connection speeds?

5. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

One of mine on GA says 71.86 seconds. That's impossible lol I'd ignore the GA speed analysis.

Wow, that's extreme! GA tells me that "1,507 of page views sent page load sample" since the start of July, which is less than 1% of views. Average load time for August was about 22 seconds, however average download time was about 0.33 seconds. Is a long load time due to users with older technology devices (slow processors, older graphics cards and low memory) ?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, no and no. I do not think this is right data. There is no way the average is that bad. Don't bother with it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)