Will Paul Manafort be found guilty of collusion? What was his appeal?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (27 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 6 years ago

It looks like WH people are privately speaking about their past reservations about Paul Manafort.  Corey Lewnadoski has an axe to grind.  Sean Spicer is going to have to testify.

It seems Manafort has a timeline from the child adoption meeting to release of the DNC records.  Fake or not, the investigation is real.  It seems Paul Manafort was a crook to being with.  Why wasn't he vetted?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

WHAT!?!?!  Vet a player in the political field!  That's treasonous!

(Wonder why Clinton wasn't vetted before being handed the DNC nomination).

dianetrotterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't know Wilderness but she was investigated quite a bit.  Maybe if she had won they would put her under a microscope.

Right now Paul Manafort is in trouble.

Yes, he seems to be in trouble.  But not for fixing the election, which is what the libs are screaming about.

It's one thing to say that there is more to the story; however, there is no way that there was less.  It's not fake.  It is a matter of "Who is culpable?"

It seems Roger Stone recommended/gave Manafort to Trump.  According to reports, Manafort had a long term relationship w/ an oligarch and owed him $19M. 

1.  He was heard on tape saying he could provide updates on what was happening with the campaign.
            2.  Trump people are backing away from Manafort.  Maybe Manafort OR manafort/Stone used the campaign to their own advantage.

3.  A timeline was established. (Notice Manfort history prior to the campaign)

https://www.axios.com/paul-manafort-tim … 47576.html 

Paul Manafort was in the room when Donald Trump Jr. met with a Russian lawyer hoping for dirt on Hilary Clinton. One month later, he reportedly sent an email to a Russian billionaire offering private briefings on the campaign. Before he even signed on with Trump, the FBI was reportedly secretly monitoring his calls.

Now, he's at the center of Robert Mueller's investigation. Here's a look at how he got there:

Manafort begins working for Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, who has close ties with Vladimir Putin, for $10 million per year, per the Washington Post. Around the same time, he's hired by a pro-Russia political party in Ukraine.

The FBI begins investigating Manafort over his consulting work in Ukraine.
            As a part of that investigation, the FBI obtains a FISA warrant to wiretap Manafort, per CNN. It was discontinued at some point in 2016, and later renewed. The CNN report emerged in September, 2017.

March 28: Manafort joins the Trump campaign, tasked with wrangling delegates for the convention.

Spring 2016: A new FBI investigation into Manafort is opened, relating to his business ties to foreign countries, including Russia, per the NY Times.

May 19: Manafort is promoted to campaign chairman.

June 9: Manafort attends the Trump Tower meeting at which Donald Trump Jr. had been told he'd receive dirt on Hillary Clinton as part of the Russian government's efforts to help his father win. News of the meeting emerged in July, 2017.

July 7: Manafort reportedly sends an email to an associate of Deripaska, asking if the billionaire would like private briefings on the campaign. News of the email emerged in September, 2017.

August 12: The AP reports on secret ledgers that record $12.7 million in payments to Manafort from the Ukrainian political party, the Party of Regions.

August 19: Manafort quits the campaign, with Jared Kushner reportedly telling him if he doesn't resign immediately he'll be fired.

Late 2016: The FBI renews its wiretaps of Manafort's communications, per CNN.

November 8: Trump is elected president.

March 20: Sean Spicer claims Manafort "played a very limited role for a very limited amount of time" on the campaign.

May 17: Robert Mueller is named special prosecutor in the Russia probe 8 days after Trump removed James Comey as FBI director.

May: Deripaska says he'll cooperate with the Congressional Russia investigations in exchange for full immunity. The offer is declined.

June 27: Manafort registers as a foreign agent.

July 20: The Wall St Journal reports that Mueller is investigating Manafort for possible money laundering.

July 25: Manafort testifies in private before staff for the Senate Intelligence Committee, and turns over his notes from the Trump Jr. meeting. The Senate Judiciary Committee withdraws a subpoena ordering him to appear, and he agrees to produce documents for that committee.

July 26: The FBI raids Manafort's home in Virginia. After the search, prosecutors on the Mueller probe tell Manafort they plan to indict him, per the NY Times. News of the raid emerged in early August.

September 8: Unwittingly communicating with a prankster, Trump lawyer Ty Cobb writes, "Manafort and Flynn have issues separate and apart from the WH that will cause the investigation to linger."

September 15: Jason Meloni, Manafort's spokesman, testifies before Mueller's grand jury. Manafort's lawyer had also been subpoenaed.

September 20: CNN reports that Mueller's is looking into "possible crimes committed as far back as January 2006" by Manafort.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I read the FBI raided Manafort's house at dawn with guns drawn after picking the lock on his house.

Such a raid requires court approval. The former federal prosecutors that I read and heard say it's a way of putting a lot more pressure on Manafort to give them more information.

He may be resisting to negotiate a better deal. So in answer to your question, I guess time will tell.

It's interesting that Manafort was at the June meeting with DJT Jr. and Kushner, etc.  The 2020 campaign fund has paid $200K on Junior's legal fees.  I wonder if the fund will pay for Kushner and Manafort.

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good question. I wonder the same thing. I also wonder how Trump campaign contributors feel about their money going to those legal bills.

This could turn out to be a major point of discussion in history.  I'm reading and watching about how social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) were used to not only spread lies but organize events.  I can't wait until Mueller's investigation starts revealing facts.

Hopefully there will be more facts than those we've seen showing a "connection" between Trump and Putin, those showing that Trump conspired to fix the election, etc. 

And hopefully those facts, if warranted, will lead to justice, unlike those produced about Clinton.  As far as I know he doesn't have a spouse that can control the AG so maybe they will.

2. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 6 years ago

Wilderness what if Trump knew nothing.  What if he didn't realize what was happening?

A scenario that I at least find more likely than not.  But what if?  Then all those people already saying he is guilty are going to look even more foolish than they already do.

probably!  something is wrong with my keyboard so i don"t have caps and other weird stuff is going on>

my concerns are
        *if russia did interfere with election, what if they keep us like puppets on a string
        *what kinds of person/people would help facilitate this?
        *what if another country (NK) decides to do it?  could it lead to war?
        *could their meddling impact our monetary system?  Equifax?  The movie company...I forget
        *could they shut down our infrastructure

There are so many things to consider, beyond whether or not Trump was involved.  Can he be manipulated?  Does he need to do a better job of vetting?  Can he trust his friends?

Price is supposed to be part of MAGA.  He has spent more than $300K on private planes going to places he could drive to in less than 2 hours.

keyboard is weird!

My opinion only, but I would be immensely surprised if Russia didn't at least try to interfere, and has done so for decades.  Along with most of the other technologically advanced countries and without regard to friendship/enemy status.  And I'd be even more disbelieving if told that the US doesn't do it to both friends and enemies.

Cyber warfare is not new, and we've been known to use it ourselves.  Something about the electric grid somewhere?  Or maybe Nuke plants?

The US built nukes to help preserve our country .... I assume.

I realize the US was in the Korean war.  If everyone tries to "get even", it's like the street gangs trying to get even.

It is imperative that we have skilled people that are able to spy on what others are doing.  There have been many terroist attacks and other bad things that were averted.

Putin is killing his own people.  He annexed part of Ukraine for himself.  There are any number of things that can be attributed to Putin.  In the late 50s, I remember the drills every Thursday @ noon.  It was scary.

Our government should be protecting us, making sure that we are not infiltrated by spies and evil countries, and on the alert for treason by US citizens.

We need to show strength and wisdom.

Our cause is just, so we can do what we abhor others doing.  I think that's a really slippery slope you're walking there!

I agree that it is necessary to spy on other nations, however evil it sounds when put baldly like that, but I also expect them to do the same.  It is up to us to limit, as far as we can, their activities in our nation - it seems a touch hypocritical to scream that they shouldn't do it but that we should because we feel we have a right to do what they can't.

It does seem hypocritical.  I suppose that is why we have people leave here to join ISIS or other terrorist groups.  Then we have those that do their attacks here in the US.

What do you think the US should do?

I said it; protect ourselves as much as possible from intrusion while continuing the spy operations we already conduct.  Including pushing for foreign politicians we think will behave in such a manner as to benefit us.

I agree with all but the last sentence.  Not that I disagree; however, foreign "politicians" sounds scary.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)