Recognize any of these fake Russian Facebook posts from the election?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13742042.png
    For your searching reference, I'm sure other places have (or will) be talking more about these; but Pilly.com published an article on October 6th, titled - 'Here's what fake Russian Facebook posts during the election looked like' - complete with image captures. They are pretty much what most of us anti-Trump folks anticipated: vile stuff towards Hillary and manipulated BLM issues that incite division & FEAR aside from the ridiculousness of their accusations - and yet, millions of people saw them with thousands & thousands of people 'liking' or 'following' these posts. What do you think? They look obviously-propaganda-ish to me; but as you know, some people really lapped this stuff up as if it was honey. Should these kinds of attacks be protected under the concept of Free Speech - despite the fact that they incite misinformation & outright lies? Or do they fall more under our laws against inciting violence?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see any misinformation or lies in the example...

Misfit Chickposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, that tells us about you and your opinion.

Next? LoL!

Or maybe it says something about your own ability to differentiate opinion from fact.  Or even whether terms such as "evil" are relatives, dependent on opinion, or facts depending solely on definition.

2. Rock_nj profile image89
      Rock_njposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Why were the Russians so against Hillary winning anyway?  Was it because she would have been much more pro alternative energy, potentially hurting the prices for carbon fuel commodities that the Russian economy relies upon so much?  Or, was it perhaps because they have some damning information about Donald Trump, so they knew they could control him if he became President?  Just wondering what the consensus is about why Putin and the Russian government seemed to favor Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton for President of the United States? 

Personally, I think its more of the the alternative energy thing.  If and when oil commodity prices collapse  (and that may happen if many countries switch to electric vehicles, as they are now proposing), the Russian economy and society are going to be in a very grave condition.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

They saw a patsy in Donald Trump, a man whose ignorance and love of self made him a laughably easy asset to cultivate.

2. ptosis profile image67
        ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

oh no, it's personal with Clinton & Putin.  Really.

With the protesters accusing Putin of having rigged recent elections, the Russian leader pointed an angry finger at Clinton, who had issued a statement sharply critical of the voting results. “She said they were dishonest and unfair,” Putin fumed in public remarks, saying that Clinton gave “a signal” to demonstrators working “with the support of the U.S. State Department” to undermine his power. “

2. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 6 years ago

Or maybe my question stands exactly as it has been stated. I asked for opinions and you gave your's. Thank you. You obviously don't think that inciting violence is a big deal. The 'pure evil' part of this image isn't what concerns me the most. We actually had people here in HP threatening to start shooting if Hillary won the election; and many of those people are still keeping their guns at the ready to defend Trump and his divisive antics at a moments notice. It is the reason why I chose this image out of all the samples in that article.

If that doesn't concern you, fine.

I know it has become a natural defense for T-fans to start playing word and/or blame games when they can't coherently respond to a direct question like this. I mean, it must be a little difficult to admit that at least SOME of the crap built up in your brain about 'the left' or 'Hillary' probably came from sources that you would not normally have approved of - had you known.

For some strange reason, Trump supporters believe that all anti-Trumpsters are brainwashed lunatics; while T-fans are immune to this common, manipulative phenomenon. Perhaps you're not really humans like the rest of us dimwits. What other explanation could there possibly be? LoL!

"You obviously don't think that inciting violence is a big deal."

Now why would you say that?  I didn't mention incitement to violence, and for the excellent reason that it is unacceptable.  So why did you make such a claim?

"still keeping their guns at the ready to defend Trump"

Yes, they are.  About as many as I've seen (none on HP) that are openly advocating assassination.  But I didn't mention the violence - whatever is making you think I did?

"It is the reason why I chose this image out of all the samples in that article." <To discuss incitement to riot>

Then I guess you should not have mentioned "misinformation and outright lies", should you?  Because that is certainly what I replied to, even copying the terminology so there could be no mistake.

"Perhaps you're not really humans like the rest of us dimwits."

Given that I've seen at least 50 times that all the educated people voted Democratic, that seems a rather silly statement/insinuation to make, now doesn't it?  Or are you just saying it comes from both sides?

Misfit, I'd discuss the Russian propaganda with you in a heartbeat...if I though you wished to discuss it and what can or should be done about it.  I don't think you care - I think you are only interested in showing the election was fixed for Trump...even though everything I've seen indicates Russian "interference" was aimed at, and had a goal of, dividing the people, not getting either candidate elected.  And, of course, showing how stupid any support of the President of the United States is.

Misfit Chickposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Excellent job of twisting things - again. You're incredibly good at that, LoL!

"...despite the fact that they incite misinformation & outright lies? "

LOL  I'm not the one that made that statement after posting a quote that "Hillary is no doubt pure evil".  For sure - I just twisted it all to pieces didn't I?

I didn't even say "Trump supporters believe that all anti-Trumpsters are brainwashed lunatics", or "many of those people are still keeping their guns at the ready to defend Trump".  Both pure rhetoric without hardly a shred of meaning or supporting evidence, but they didn't come from me.  Not even "Perhaps you're not really humans like the rest of us dimwits. What other explanation could there possibly be?".  Somebody is certainly putting the spin on, but it wasn't me! big_smile

3. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 6 years ago

Some things are black or white;You cant be kind of pregnant,you either are or you aren't.You cant be kind of dead,you either are or you aren't...and you cant have kind of free speech,it either is or it isn't...because no one has the right to decide where to draw the line...my opinion...

4. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

OK. I had to pull myself up off of the floor after laughing at the exchange, thus far. The OP, a firm advocate (by historical evidence of her postings on Hub Pages) of using images with little blurbs attached in an attempt to create an emotional response. Of posting images without any evidence to back up the claims made in them. But, hey. Since they are were an attempt to create an aura of some credibility to the opinions put forth they have been defended tooth and nail. Up to and including disparaging those who disagree. But, now, images with little blurbs attached are 'fake news' and to be decried.

Oh, god. I feel another fit of laughter.

As to your comments about 'inciting violence' I'd say that must be proof of conservative's ability to control themselves. Since it is the left responsible for the violent riots we have been seeing on the political spectrum.

5. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

"As we reported yesterday, as the media continues to lose their collective minds over $100,000 worth of Facebook ads allegedly purchased by Russians during the 2016 election, the Senate Judiciary Committee has finally decided they're going to take a look into a shady Russian deal - first  profiled here last summer - that handed Putin 20% of America's uranium reserves, was approved by the Obama administration during an ongoing FBI investigation into charges of bribery, extortion and money laundering by the Russian buyer and netted the Clintons millions of dollars in donations and 'speaking fees."
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-1 … ant-follow

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13747133.jpg
    There lots of photos online with Putin and Clinton.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)