It's strange that we still use blankets

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (53 posts)
  1. Jessie L Watson profile image65
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

It seems quite reasonable to point out that for about a hundred years we've been able to modulate environmental factors in our homes but we go out of our way to find the perfect blanket. We can basically terraform every room in our house to fit our needs and wants yet we still cling to our blankies for something I can only surmise as a psychological regression into fetal nourishment. They help us feel like we can return to the soothing warmth of a mothers womb. I can't find anything really wrong with this although it does seem a bit pitiful the more I think about it.

1. mike102771 profile image71
      mike102771posted 6 years agoin reply to this

It’s all a conspiracy of Big Blanket. They want us to need them, man. I tell you it’s a cover-up. Big blanket and whole comforter cartel. But I said too much.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is instinctual. Baby monkeys prefer a wire mother covered with cozy cloth to a bare one that feeds them. I know that I must have at least a sheet over me to sleep, no matter how warm my room is.

2. Jessie L Watson profile image65

haha. I was counting on strange responses as this was a deliberately strange post.

You laugh but big blanket has its threads in everything man. They cover it all.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is woven into our culture and is a comforter for many.

2. Jessie L Watson profile image65

With (redacted) administration as their leading benefactor.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

I certainly hope we will all continue to use blankets.

It's true we can regulate our home temperatures, but for most people, that means using air conditioning and heating, both of which cost money and waste resources.  A blanket is a much less wasteful method of keeping warm.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Yes-- I agree with Marissa + they look nice on beds, especially the handmade quilts that remind us of their makers.
      I actually prefer to sleep on a cool room, with cozy blankets, breathing fresh air, and keeping warm at the same time.

Don't be fooled. Those quilts are just a way for the Amish to take over the world one bed at a time.

I admit the Amish are a major threat. They are ready to take charge when the power grid goes down and they are the only ones left who know how to do things.

A group of men that go around all quiet, frowning with beards and all dressed in black and don't get me started on the buggies.

Yes,they do sometimes use blankets in the buggies, though in our current world situation we should probably be more concerned about the Afghans.

1. theraggededge profile image97
                theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ooo! big_smile

Oooooo how we love our blanket.
                  https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13798278_f1024.jpg

1. snakeslane profile image80
                    snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ooooo

2. mike102771 profile image71

Afghan
                https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13796254.jpg

5. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 6 years ago

Definitely some loose threads around here today. But this one takes the blanket. Just sayin'...

6. Jessie L Watson profile image65

Lol. Been a good day.

7. poppyr profile image92
      poppyrposted 6 years ago

Your body temperature goes down when you fall asleep, so a comfortable temperature when you're awake will feel cold after you doze off. That's why we need blankets. Plus, they're comfortable to cuddle up under, of course.

8. gerimcclym profile image95
      gerimcclymposted 6 years ago

This thread is hilarious. Thanks for the laughs and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

9. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 6 years ago

Yes, this is a strange thread but in a hilariously delightful way. So I must chime in. big_smile In addition to psychological comfort, I think it's also about psychological safety and protection. We are vulnerable when we sleep, a total loss of control over our body awareness. Covering up while we sleep protects us, if only from the occasional spider or mosquito. yikes big_smile

That sounds like the "duck & cover" from the 1950's and 1960's with the idea that a thin wooden desk or your arm could protect you from an atomic bomb.
        https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13797160.jpg

You see, this is how big blanket gets you. They make you addicted to the banket. The blanket will protect you.

Duck and cover
          https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13797235.jpg

Good one (s). I prefer duck down and cover...

I don't know the whole thing sounds fowl

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13797349.png

Run? Waddle away? It's got me wondering. How do you get down off a duck?

It's easy just go to one side and let gravity do it. Just try not to step on the wings (they hate that). It's harder to get onto the duck.

That's just Quakers smile

Now I think you are confusing Amish with Quakers.
                      Quakers don't use buggies anymore, but quackers will eat bugs. Don't take that as a  blanket statement.

2. mike102771 profile image71

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13797344.png

2. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, mike, lol big_smile

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I know, right?  Or in junior high, we were to sit on the floor in the hallway, facing the lockers, and bend forward, arms over our heads!  (presumably because at that age, we could no longer fit under our desks...)
          Yeah!  Real safety and protection!
          More like perfect position to bend over and kiss your arse goodbye!  And we weren't even given any blankets.
          I shall have to discuss this with my therapist!

We did the same hallway crouch for tornado drills back in the 1980’s. My favorite thing was the fire drills in the middle of winter. We couldn’t take our coats to class, so everyone was in the snow and cold without them. One school had its fire drills end in the gym (I guess so we could all die together).

10. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

If you sleep with a cozy Afghan (hound) you will be cozy, warm, protected from predators and covered with dog hair in the morning.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Don't you need 3?  Then you have a 3-dog-night! 

(HA!!  I crack me up!)

11. gerimcclym profile image95
      gerimcclymposted 6 years ago

This thread keeps getting more interesting.

12. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 6 years ago

Think I'll stick with feather duvet, and a blanket. It's winter guys, bundle up. Stay warm...

13. cmiller0161 profile image91
      cmiller0161posted 6 years ago

My first blanket has been holding me hostage since I was a baby. It whispers in my ear every night, telling me that if I ever disobey orders it will kill me in my sleep. I now have a small army of blankets as requested by Blankie. I feel so smothered and overheated. Someone please send help.

You still have your baby Blankie, cmiller? How old are you? Nevermind that, maybe you need it. It looks like your lips are turning blue. smile

14. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
      Gregory DeVictorposted 6 years ago

I am originally from Northern California. Contrary to what some people might think, it can get cold at night there depending upon where you live (for example, in San Francisco’s Richmond and Sunset Districts). As a matter of fact, it can even be cold in the Richmond or Sunset during the day depending upon the wind current. Early on, I became acclimated to sleeping with blankets year around as well as to always leaving home with a jacket on. Furthermore, it is not uncommon for tourists to come to the Bay Area for a vacation and have to go to Macy’s in Union Square to buy outerwear.

It was 30 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in Akron, Ohio this morning. You know shorts weather.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

ROFL, Gregory!  I, too, am a San Francisco born and raised native.  We lived on the other side of town, in Vistitacion Valley, which was sort of the "donut hole" in the overcast (along with the Mission District).
        However, moving from the blanket to the moth hole, my first house was in Pacifica, which inspired this poem (probably also understandable for those out in the Sunset):

"Standing on the cliffs at dusk;
        The sun comes out,
        And goes down.
        You have to live in Pacifica
        To understand."

LOL

Lol. As long as you understand MsLiz, that's what makes poetry.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

LOL--the point of the poem being, that in that area, it would be foggy and cold and overcast most of the day; the sun might break through sometime between 4 and 6 in the evening, just in time for sunset. (In the summer, anyway--the clear skies happened in winter--provided it wasn't raining.)

15. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
      Gregory DeVictorposted 6 years ago

If you’ve ever lived in Erie, PA, you would certainly know what blankets are because it gets mighty cold there during the winter. I’ve noticed that at least two members of HubPages live there and would probably confirm this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)