why do people continue to complain about the government yet do not vote?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image56
    mattmcnapaposted 14 years ago

why do people continue to complain about the government  yet do not vote?

is there an underlying belief that voting doesnt matter or are they just content to be miserable.

2. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 14 years ago

The problem in North America (Canada and the United States) is that indeed voting is not as democratic as one thinks. Until the electoral system moves to one of proportional representation some of our votes do not matter much in my opinion.

3. H P Roychoudhury profile image42
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 14 years ago

The ideals of democracy are to cast vote and complain is a part of democratic function of the government. If there is no complain, there will be no correction in the activity of the  government.

4. Dark knight rides profile image59
    Dark knight ridesposted 14 years ago

I used to think like Mr. Happy, that our voting doesn't matter. But in truth, the only vote that goes through the electoral college is the presidential. So voting for congress, for your state and local government, and of course for the variety of issues that are on the ballot each year, every vote counts.

And with the electoral college system, you vote can still matter. In many states, the delegates are bound to vote by the majority of votes cast in their district. In some places they can in fact vote however they want to, but generally speaking delegates tend to vote with the majority. But even if they didn't, if the majority voted against the delegate, it still sends a message.

High voter turnout shows the government that we are watching and we do care about what they do and how they run our country. The problem is that we don't. We want to turn the responsibility over to someone else and say "Things are broken, fix them. Things are wrong and it's your fault, not ours!" We tend to act like children who expect mom and dad to fix everything, instead of taking the responsibility on ourselves and making an effort to create changes.

The mortgage crisis is actually a great example. People bought into homes they knew they couldn't afford. Instead of researching and learning about what was being offered to them, they jumped right in, and when the bill came due they couldn't pay it. Of course not everyone did this, but the majority did. And when they couldn't pay, and banks had to foreclose, the house values dropped for everyone. Too many people looking for easy answers and quick solutions, instead of investing the time and energy in educating themselves.

And then they blamed the banks. "Well, they said..." or "Why doesn't the government do something?" It became everyone else's fault, and everyone else should pick up the pieces.

So what do we do? We take the time to learn about what our government is doing. We take the time to learn about the issues they are trying to decide for us. We take the time to look outside our own little world to see what is affecting everyone. And then we act. We vote. We protest. We email. We call. We write Hubs. We get the word out about what we learned and what we want and what we think should happen.  But that take's work. Are you ready to put in the effort?

5. profile image49
    A Lascelleposted 14 years ago

no, some people just exercise their right for your so called freedom, just because you are given the vote does not mean you have to use it. If there is nothing that rattles your insides from political parties and you realise you will be screwed which ever party gets to power, why vote ? It is easy to just vote for the sake of it, but this is a disingenuous move and is akin to following the herd. I for one have never voted and I am half way through my life now, why ? you will ask, because I have never heard or seen any politician that speaks from the heart or has passion to actually change anything, and it is no good using your standard response that if you don't vote you don't have a say, that is a propoganda slogan made by the political elite to make people feel guilty. People died in the ww2 fighting the greatest tyranny and threat to freedom this world has ever known, and they died for the freedom of choice, not for a vote, and unfortunately that counts for nothing anymore, especially when elected governments globally, are doing exactly what they choose to do and ignore their voters !

6. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

A Lacelle, if you don't like who is arrayed before you as choices just vote the incumbent out.  Shake up the power structure.  Don't take offense, but I hate to see comments like yours that complain about politicians but don't even go out and write the little guy's name down.  Most national elections I'm voting against someone because few "rattle my insides" as you put it.  I have my say, and I say Change It!  Don't cop out...if you don't agree with the direction of things the only voice you have is the one you use.  A right not exercised is a right effectively lost.  Just my 2 cents anyway...

7. Hi-Jinks profile image60
    Hi-Jinksposted 14 years ago

Followers of Fox no less. People are burnt out by these firebrands and quit all together.They see no hope and do nothing.
    They are not told of the truth of anything, thus perpetually a myth of hopelessness.
    I feel sorry them. They were fed poison. This poisons our government.

8. dabeaner profile image60
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

A good government depends on an intelligent and informed electorate.  There hasn't ever been one of those.

So, the intelligent and informed see that their votes are inconsequential.  Then there are all the various factions, composed of idiots and ignoramuses who complain.  But any complaints they may have that are valid is due only to coincidence.

BTW, Democracy is merely a political scam where minorities have been brainwashed into letting the majority do as they will with them.

This country (the U.S.) was NOT founded by voting.  And over the years the electorate has pissed away the gift bestowed by the founders.

Forget the fairy tales.  Might DOES make right. Might DEFINES right.
    http://www.bean-d.com/sovereign-living/ … -right.php

9. profile image53
    sum1thatcaresposted 14 years ago

Vote for who? I cant place a vote for people whom i dont trust. All i have to say to this is research.  Government have their own plans with or without your vote. Its not the vote that count we can all vote but its having the knowledge of who you are voting for.  What/who you are allowing to govern your life/country/freedom/rights. The question that maybe i would ask is" Why do people continue to complain about the government and do nothing about it, Why dont people stand up and fight for their rights and demand order" we see the damage that they have allowed and the theories that are said to be imment but yet people sit back and wait for it to happen and when it does go "I cant believe that, or Why ?"
    Why? I tell you why - its called Control by who well thats something you need to figure out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)