What is your favorite Christmas tradition?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Born Again 05 profile image77
    Born Again 05posted 14 years ago

What is your favorite Christmas tradition?

My daughter and grandchildren will be living in my home this Christmas. I'd like to make it an extra special celebration!

2. sumosalesman profile image60
    sumosalesmanposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure if this is an exclusively Canadian-American tradition or whether it was something that evolved as a polite game in the 1920s or 1930s throughout America, but all of my relatives on my mom's side used to get together for Christmas for a big gift-giving game.

Each person is asked beforehand to bring 3 or 4 low-cost wrapped gifts.  Before the game starts, all the gifts are put in the center of the room in one or two large piles. 

The game involves two decks of cards and a caller.  The caller brings the first pile of gifts to a spot in the center of the room, and deals out all the cards to everyone in a circle.  It's okay if some people get one card less than the others; what matters in the game is who has the caller's last called cards.

Once one deck is dealt out, the caller shuffles his own deck of cards, and starts drawing a card at a time.  Whoever has a matching card from the first deck of cards gets to go up to the gift pile and take a gift back to his or her seat.  If the gift pile is gone, then that person can steal someone else's gift!  When the second deck is completely called through, everyone gets to open their gifts.  If someone gets something that's really not his or her style, s/he can trade with someone else who wants it.

What makes this game fun are the wacky, odd-shaped and inexpensive gifts that get stolen over and over.  One of the most swiped gifts from a past game turned out to be a wrapped roll of toilet paper with a can of tuna placed on top of it... the unique appearance made it such a conversation piece and we all got a big laugh out of seeing what made up the mystery shape.

I'm not sure how old your grandchildren are, but in the past mothers could play the game for their kids and give their kids the gifts they won.  Sometimes it was priceless watching a mom send her kid toddling across the floor to steal a gift and come back with a great big smile.

Whether you can use this tradition or not, a very merry Christmas to you!

3. EagleHeart profile image59
    EagleHeartposted 14 years ago

As you can see on my hub, I love tradition I've kept alive most of the Christmas traditions in my home passed to me by my family but I have made a couple of traditions that I have passed to my children and am sure it will pass to theirs as well. One is of course going out and seeing all the lights around town but we took it one step further several years back and that's to go to the Fantasy in Lights celebration held over in Georgia at Callaway Gardens. It's a yearly event that we love to attend. The other tradition is mentioned in my hub. It's to set up the Christmas village and each year we all by a new piece to add to the village, be it a new building or trees or cars ar people. It has gotten quite large. Soon I will split it up and send half of it to my daughter's home and half to my son. They can then set it up in their home and have their children add to it as well. It's something that will be passed from one generation to the next. I love to think that my great great great grandchildren will have be enjoying a family tradition that started in my home. I wish you, your daughter and your grandchildren a most joyous Christmas and I have a feeling that just having them back in your home will make Christmas an extra special celebration. Make memories!...Love and Many Blessings to ya'll

4. Born Again 05 profile image77
    Born Again 05posted 14 years ago

Sumosalesman that is a very interesting idea! Thank you for sharing that with me. I can picture remaking that game to fit for the grandkids! Sounds like it would be fun! My grandaughter is 7 and my grandson is 5. And a very Merry Christmas to you as well!
    EagleHeart thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. We have a light display as well in a park about 45 minutes from home. Actually, I haven't seen it yet. That would be a treat! I like the idea of starting a Christmas village. As a child I use to love just putting up a small creche with all the little animals. Perhaps we can build a village in and around a small train set. And thank you for the blessings!
    Thanks to both of you for answering my request! I will be stopping by shortly to sign on as a fan and check out your hubs. I hope you'll consider doing the same.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Noche buena. This is a Catholic tradition where the family eat together on Christmas eve, it is like the equivalent of Thanksgiving Day. Second is the gift giving and then going to church to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

6. Unmasked profile image58
    Unmaskedposted 12 years ago

It's not really a tradition but even though we are all adults (as the youngest, I am currently 25) my husband, my brothers and I all get to act like children at Christmas. I fill stockings with candy and little toys and my brothers and husband get presents that most people would think were for people 15-20 years younger than they actually are. We have so much fun opening everything up and feeling little again.

Other than that I love the very beginning of the Christmas season which for my husband and me is the night of the Thanksgiving celebration we have for our friends. After dinner we pour big glasses of egg nog, eat slices of pumpkin pie and watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Even though this usually falls before actual Thanksgiving I get to start feeling all Christmasy. It's so much fun!

7. LoriSoard profile image64
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

Now that my kids are older, and I don't have to wait for Santa to arrive, we open our gifts on Christmas Eve. I can never wait, I'm always excited to give them their stockings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)