I am trying to decide for a puppy to add to our family which breed is better Gol

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. khood1357 profile image63
    khood1357posted 14 years ago

I am trying to decide for a puppy to add to our family which breed is better Golden Retriever or...

Great Dane? Thanks!

2. profile image0
    MrsMoeposted 14 years ago

Goodness!  That's quite a variation in breed choices.  When choosing a breed to suit your family, keep in mind the base nature of the breed.  A Retriever is going to need a LOT of outside play, fetching, exploring (what the breed is primarily used for) to remain happy, healthy, and non-destructive.

A Great Dane is a great family dog, but keep in mind how big they get around small children.  They are loyal and loving and usually learn tolerance as they grow with your kids.   You will need to provide proper exercise consistently to keep them healthy.   Make sure your living arrangements can tolerate such a large dog.

Don't toss out the idea of rescuing a puppy or young dog from a pound.  I'm on my 13th dog (7 of which have been rescues) and I couldn't be happier!   Jake is AMAZING!   (he's a cross between a Boxer and Shepherd).

3. khood1357 profile image63
    khood1357posted 14 years ago

MrsMoe- Thank you I will be sure to keep everything mentioned in mind when choosing the new addition. Thanks Again!

4. AshleyNikole profile image66
    AshleyNikoleposted 14 years ago

It depends on the time and space you have for the dog..
    Danes are wonderful proctective dogs, who love you till  the day they die, but they need space, and you might want to put money away, they can have bad health problems.

A golden is healthier and less protective but needs a little more grooming. They need less room but just as much exercise. they are very good for the family and kids. they have problems when they get old, and will need special attention then, but other then that they are good dogs.

I think you have alot to think about, and it should take sometime. I also think you should adopt from a resuce or a shelter instead of paying alot of money for a something you can get cheaper and needs a second chance.

Both dogs are great, personally being the big dog lover I am, I would say Great Dane, but like I said, you need space and money. Also with a Great Dane you need firmer training then with a Golden.

Good Luck!

5. seachangeqld profile image61
    seachangeqldposted 13 years ago

I would go for the Golden Retriever from those two choices. Goldens are protective of young children - just not savage. Danes are too big for small children.
    Goldens do need exercise as do most large dogs and if I were to recommend a breed for small children that doesn't need alot of exercise it would be a Cavalier King Charles or a cross of this breed like a Cavoodle, Cavalion (Cav x Papillon) or a Cavachon (Cav x Bichon Frise).
    Another idea may be a retired Greyhound. They are very gentle, lazy and dont need as much exercise as either of your choices. They make wonderful pets when they have been through a rehab program and you would be saving a life.

6. DanielNeff profile image61
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

I would recommend Golden Retriever. We are on our second. He is 3 years old, the first one lived to 14. They are wonderful dogs. I don't think there is a better breed around young children.
    I disagree with what has been said by a couple of people about Goldens needing lots of exercise or they will be destructive. That has not been my experience. We can leave the dog in the house for hours (sometimes up to 6 hours - 9 or 10 with our first dog when he was older), with no destruction whatsoever. When we have rain several days in a row and can't get out much, he is fine. He wants to run and jump in the house, but he doesn't tear things up. That is the case, from what I've heard, with Border Collies and Huskies.

7. renee21 profile image79
    renee21posted 11 years ago

My first choice would be a Golden Retriever.  It is really easy to train.  It can get quite playful.  It does need to be walked at least every other day, or it can get out of hand when it plays.  A Great Dane has a lot of energy, so if it's not walked at least once, even twice a day, it can become very jumpy and destructive.  Both Great Danes and Golden Retrievers are affectionate dogs and love to play and go on walks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)