Should it be legal for teens to have sex?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. alfredfox profile image71
    alfredfoxposted 13 years ago

Should it be legal for teens to have sex?

Why is it teenagers are legally not allowed to drink alcohol, vote for their country or smoke a cigarette, but it is legal for a teen to have sex with a man, for example a 16 year old girl having sex with a 65 year old man in the UK is legal. If a teen can make the latter decision then why can they not make the others?

2. mainstreetcm profile image61
    mainstreetcmposted 13 years ago

I can tell you right now, that even if the sex is consenual, it is very much illegal for a 65 year old man to have sex with a 16 year old girl here in the United States.

Here, they have a whole television show devoted to men who try to find underage girls to have "consenual" sex with and it turns bad for the men as its a sting operation.

3. Sweetsusieg profile image76
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

It is my theory that teenagers don't have a full grasp of what life is all about during those 'teen' years.  Their minds are growing and absorbing a lot of information, from parents and peers as well as outside influences such as television and media.  The frontal lobe of the brain is still in development at this time and things are not processed quite as well as the adult brain.

It is a time for making stupid decisions and as parents we need to be there to help absorb the impact of these decisions. Setting boundaries and helping prevent such things from coming to fruition is a parents job, and one which should never be taken lightly.

So the legalities for sex, smoking, drinking or voting should be left until such teen is able to process this information and make a conscious decision regarding each.

4. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 13 years ago

Where did you get that info from for the UK, are you thinking of some other country, or are you suggesting that voting, drinking and smoking ages should also be lowered to 16?
    In the UK, 18 year olds are allowed to drink and buy alcohol, buy and smoke tobacco products, and vote, The age of consent for sexual matters is 16, I doubt that any good or usefulness would come from trying to increase it to, say 18, in line with the drinking, smoking and voting age,  and I doubt that any good or usefulness would come from lowering the others to  the age of consent.

5. destiny4885 profile image59
    destiny4885posted 13 years ago

Im under 18 and ive been told i shouldnt be on this site, but guess what people underestimate the teen population these days. Not all teens are stupid. I grew up around all adults so i do have a grasp on certain subjects. i do think it is necesary for there to be a law about sex, but not on how old you have to be to have sex, but what ages can and cant have sex with eachother. ive made mistakes and yet i dont regret not one of them, cause i learned so much, and i cant be protected all my life. maybe adults need to be smarter and realize that having sex with 14 year old or under 18 is not the smartest thing, its not always the kids being stupid it has alot to do with adults as well.

6. profile image53
    vc29posted 13 years ago

I don't think it really matters  if  the law makes it legal for Teens
    to have sex, because they are having it now. Its way out of
    control, something should have been done a long time ago. They
    would find away to have sex anyways, Teens have so much freedom today, thats my opinion.

7. JLClose profile image61
    JLCloseposted 13 years ago

I can't see why or how the government would regulate something like this. Of course I don't think teenagers should be having sex, but what would we do to prevent it--video monitor them?

That said, in the US, if a 16 year old had sex with a 65 year old and they were reported, the 65 year old would be most likely convicted as a sex offender. But if two 16 year olds have sex, it would usually be considered consensual.

8. drspaniel profile image83
    drspanielposted 12 years ago

In some way I think it should be as they're going to do it anyway... They don't quite grasp how life works, and in their years they should really be focussing on understanding the world, but then experimenting with each other is a great way to learn!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)