jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What age is appropriate for teens to start having sex?

1. DanuckInUSA profile image61
    DanuckInUSAposted 6 years ago

What age is appropriate for teens to start having sex?

Is it waiting until marriage or is there an age when it is appropriate?

2. Anne Pettit profile image71
    Anne Pettitposted 6 years ago

It's never "appropriate," but it will happen.  Teens need to be educated on protection from both STD's and pregnancy. Hopefully someone mature will have a conversation with the teen about emotions and commitment and help with the emotional roller coaster because if someone doesnt know he/she is ready, he/she is not ready.

3. localgrunts profile image59
    localgruntsposted 6 years ago

To each his/her own. I don't think it's my job to tell someone else what they should do with their body unless they are my children.

Even then I would teach, console, educate and try to get them to wait until marriage.

4. carolp profile image81
    carolpposted 6 years ago

The day will come that a teenager wants to experience about what is sex and how does it feel. It is important to have someone that the teens can trust and the ideal person is a mother or a father .The teens have to use all resources  about sex education from school, family and friends. A mother or a father has to be open and supporting, arrange time to discuss about sex. As to my experience, my daughter told me that she wants in a certain time to experience sex and that i could arrange for a gynecologist consultation so she could ask advice about anti-baby pills and other security measures.
    I told to my daughter that it is not only of having or experiencing sex, what it matters is to have sex with someone you like or love, a feeling that it is him you want the first time to make love, so it will be a beautiful memorable unforgetable moment in life one cannot forget.

5. Nicole Breit profile image75
    Nicole Breitposted 6 years ago

I don't think it is necessarily waiting until marriage, and I don't think there is one age that is appropriate for every person. Each and every person is an individual. Teens have sex, and it may take a long time after the fact for them to have the maturity to look back and know whether when they started, they were ready emotionally or psychologically - even if they may feel ready physically. If you are the parent of a teenager and are grappling with this question, I wish you the best!

6. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

I believe that people should wait until their twenties to have sex.  I feel that the teenage years should be devoted to education. self-development, and self-knowledge.    There are enough issues during the teenaged years such as preparing for college and ascertaining the pathway to a career.   Being in relationships would also complicate the affair.   Let sex and sexual relationships wait until after college graduation and a job is obtained.   At that time, hopefully a person is mature enough to know his/her body, wants, and preventive technology.