Help, My Child does not like school

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. givingfairy profile image60
    givingfairyposted 13 years ago

Help, My Child does not like school

My  sixteen year old  does not like school yet she  wants to go to Boarding school which we  just can't afford.. She is not rude. She is absent from school most times and whenever she shows up she is either late or leaves school early. She wants to be a hair dresser / nail technician. She does not want to go to college and has bad grades. The relationship between she and dad is real bad. All they do is quarrel and scream like brother and sister. She has two older sisters in college and one sister in elementary I don't know what to do. I  researched boarding schools and they are not cheap.

2. medicfrogs profile image65
    medicfrogsposted 13 years ago

Start meeting with those teachers! Her high school teachers spend a lot of time with her everyday (on the days she actually attends class) and some of them may have some very useful information that could help you understand and help your daughter. One good teacher can get a child really motivated to do well in school, but likewise one bad teacher can turn them off to school completely.

3. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

It's too hard a question to know the right answer.

Sounds like there is some kind of issue going on at school that is not apparent.  It might be bullying.

To ask to go to boarding school is very unusual but maybe it's to get away from dad.

It could be an issue of hidden sexuality (she may like girls but doesn't want to let anyone know).

Sounds like she just wants to escape her current situation so you may want to ask someone at school to counsel her and ask what's up.  Obviously she isn't going to tell you or would have already.

4. karenfreemansmith profile image58
    karenfreemansmithposted 13 years ago

It may sound crazy, but I'd let her drop out of school (I6 is old enough, isn't it?) and then I'd make her get a job and pay rent.

There are scholorships for boarding schools, but I believe your daughter would need outstanding grades to get one.  You might mention that to her as well to see if it encourages her to turn things around at her current school.

5. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

I had the same problem with my son.  He dropped out of high school and the school didn't notify us until months after.  He was going to school everyday but really going to his friend's house and played video games.  He said he would go to school but when he reached the classroom door, he would turn around and leave.  I told him if he didn't want to go to school, he should get a job.  He did after a year and worked in a warehouse.  Then this year, he surprised me by saying he wanted to finish h.s. as he wanted to be a policeman.  I was over joyed.  Now he is going to adult school finishing his h.s., which he will finish in two more semesters.  Sometimes, it takes time for some kids to mature and find out what they want to do with their lives.  But as a parent, I understand your concern.  I hope this helps a little.

Happy New Year!
    Rosie

6. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Why doesn't your daughter like school? You wrote that she does not want to go to college and that she has bad grades?

Well, why does she have bad grades? Could it be that she does not want to go to college because of her bad grades? And might she have bad grades due to some kind of learning difficulty? Has she ever been tested for dyslexia?

If she has some difficulty learning difficulty, it could be that she feels overmatched by the material? If she feels overmatched by the material then it is probably because she has not been taught how to process the information in a way that works best with her particular, innate cognitive strengths and natural learning style. Everyone has their own natural learning style. Schools are not always good at validating different kinds of intelligence.

So why does she want to go to boarding school if she wants to be a beautician?

Good Luck and take care.

7. framistan profile image59
    framistanposted 13 years ago

Every decision in life has CONSEQUENCES. My wife dropped out of highschool because of bullying.  Now we are OLD and I can report on the CONSEQUENCES of her decision.

1.  The bullies continued at school and GOT their diploma.
        2.  My wife worked a LIFETIME of low paying jobs.
        3.  The bullies WON.  My wife LOST.

Nowadays, there are LOTS of ways to get assistance from the school to stop the bullying.  When we went to school, the kids were on their own.  Bullying is not always physical.  Verbal abuse is most common, and some kids don't know how to deal with it, so they beg to drop out of school. I may be wrong, maybe it's not BULLYING.  But whatever the reason, the results are the same: A lifetime of lowpay jobs, and hard work. Then ...  Regrets of dropping out, and trying to get diploma later.  Highschool is the EASIER way to get the diploma.  Every other method is much more difficult.

8. Silver Poet profile image69
    Silver Poetposted 13 years ago

Perhaps she could study hard and take the GED test, then get started in beauty school.

9. ZaneZenMaster profile image57
    ZaneZenMasterposted 13 years ago

I could help, but I'd have to type allot!
    Read here, http://zanecarmichael.com/2010/12/19/cr … er-genius/

10. LillyGrillzit profile image76
    LillyGrillzitposted 13 years ago

I think it is not so hard to get into cosmetology school, help her set the goals required to enroll in beauty college instead. There are home school programs, that are surprisingly affordable, and they even do college prep. It sounds like she wants out of the situation at school, and I can't say as i blame her. This is why so many charter and private schools have opened.

The best to you both.

11. n.pady profile image57
    n.padyposted 13 years ago

hello dear,
    it is important for parents to listen to their kids. it is a lot more different now than it was in earlier times, when parents words were heard. also, there must be some reason why your little girl does not want to go to school. first, find out the reason.
    the reason she wants to go to a boarding is to get away from something. this is not going to solve the problem for her or for you.
    have a small talk with her to discuss what's happening in her life. be a friend, rather than a mother.

12. pen_addict profile image62
    pen_addictposted 12 years ago

Perhaps its because there is something at school that is driving her away from her education, such as bullying. Or maybe her bad grades are telling her that she can't do anything about them and she'd be a failure at school even if she tried. She thinks that maybe if she went to boardin school, then she could start over. Another reason might be her dad. His bullying might be making her anxious. Try to talk to her.

13. profile image0
    HERBERT ubaldoposted 12 years ago

She needs a counselor to advise her from time to time what is best for her. Little by little, until she realizes her fault

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)