Is it a good idea for a married couple to work together in the same business?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Jan Fowler profile image59
    Jan Fowlerposted 13 years ago

Is it a good idea for a married couple to work together in the same business?

Are there limits or boundaries that should be agreed upon before adding a business relationship to a marraige?

2. gregas profile image80
    gregasposted 13 years ago

That all depends on the couple. Some people can, some people can't. It depends on the type of work. Is it someone elses company o their own business? Who has the final say if it is their own business? There are a lot of depends in there, and I don't mean diapers. Greg

3. Article Magick profile image61
    Article Magickposted 13 years ago

A business partnership (like a marriage) can be a wonderful thing .. if both parties pull their weight and know what they are letting themselves into.  I've done it and it works but only if you do! (that's marriage and business ;-))

4. phamer13 profile image60
    phamer13posted 13 years ago

If the couple have made the commitment as a couple and strategize as one, it can definitely work.  Should one partner get off track, any progress attained as a couple could be jeopardized.

5. Bel Marshall profile image61
    Bel Marshallposted 13 years ago

I think there are both pros and cons to this.  I do think a married couple can work together in the same business if it is something they both want to do, are excited about and love doing.
    I also think there should be very clear boundaries such as nobody gets to be the boss, work is left at work, etc...
    Oh yeah and it should never ever be a home repair business...have you ever seen a couple of who doesn't get irritated with one another during a home repair or renovation project?  LOL!

6. tmgoldmarketing profile image59
    tmgoldmarketingposted 13 years ago

I speak from the experience on this, and the answer is……… It depends on the couple. I have worked with my wife Terry, at home, in close quarters for about 10 years. We work well together and don’t get on each others nerves (at least not to the point of distraction). We have always understood our strengths and weaknesses and worked together to magnify our strengths and vastly minimize our weakness. We support each others efforts, never putting the other one down. We have the same “Why”, which helps. On the other hand, if a couple needs the occasional separation from their spouse and cant be together 24/7 there could be problems. Also, many times, as is human nature,  instead of being supportive, they will put the others “perceived” weaknesses down causing friction and ending many marriages in general. Let me say this, if a couple can work together at home the benefits are Vast as you can GREATLY increase your time and work productivity and also have a partner that you can bounce things off of.. So again, it depends on the couple.

7. Salliebb profile image60
    Salliebbposted 13 years ago

I agree it depends upon the couple. At the ski lodge my husband and I brought out the worst in each other. Considering we were underfunded from the beginning and were not very smart mnoney wise, we had a lot of external stress.

When the second opportunity came along, I stayed with my teaching job and my husband ran a restaurant. This one went down hill faster as he had not learned a thing from the first failure. When his partner sAID "It's my building get out" I heaved a sigh of releif. Some people are just not cut out for business. He was a wonderful idealistic visionary with no idea about how money works.

So if either of you have contradictory ideas about what to do with the money, then stay the heck out of each others businesses.

8. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

What a great question!  My late husband and I were very close and love the company of each other.  But when we started our own business, we had to work together and the fight began.  I find him too easy going with the labour and he found me very bossy. lol  The business thrived but the fighting continued.. good thing we left the fighting and business behind when we get home. lol  As we were very close and really really loved each other.. our marriage survived.  He let be the boss, and that's good enough with me. lol

Happy New Year,
    Rosie

9. Gary Rowell profile image60
    Gary Rowellposted 13 years ago

I think two heads are better than one , but different opinions need to be respected and you have to be willing to share the ups as well as the downs.

10. Mavis Nong profile image60
    Mavis Nongposted 13 years ago

It depends on the couple. If the other mate is not interested in a business, then it won't work.

11. faria_lupin profile image61
    faria_lupinposted 13 years ago

may be but its depend on the person...but you can work together in the same business...if you have any doubt about anything then you can go ahead.....from my opinion its better if you (he/she) work,you can give him/her company and you can be connected with eachother everytime when he/she needs you

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)