What is the question you dread the most?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

What is the question you dread the most?

I hate it when someone asks me "How old do you think I am?"  I am not good in guessing people's ages.  What if I say 50 and the person is only 40.. OMG! that would hurt the person's feelings and I certainly don't want to do that.. so I try to guess wildly off.  What about you?

2. theseus profile image72
    theseusposted 13 years ago

I guess the most dreadful question that one can ask me at this time is "Are you ready now to see your bestfriend die?". Dreadful because I don't think that I can ever be ready.

3. David.Reed profile image54
    David.Reedposted 13 years ago

"So why were you off work last week?" (from Manager to Me when I've just pulled a sicky!)

4. Right On Time profile image59
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

"Do I look good in this" when they look...anything but good...in what they are wearing in the shop. What can you say? I don't want to lie but I don't want to hurt their feelings. So often I say, "wow" something in a cool kinda way which isn't actually a compliment but sounds nice.

5. tenordj profile image64
    tenordjposted 13 years ago

when i'm asked how someone looks in something. I always try to be courteous and compliment them, even when I think otherwise. I have never liked to try to judge what others like as long as they like it thats what matters.

6. Darknlovely3436 profile image71
    Darknlovely3436posted 13 years ago

Are you pregnant again?, I know that i have a  little fat around the waist line, however, stop asking me that question.(smile

7. Gayly profile image61
    Gaylyposted 13 years ago

What do you feel? One wrong answer and everything will change.

8. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

"..you don't have any kids??"
    .........they expect every black woman by age 21 to have at least one or three by then!

9. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

I've racked my brains and haven't been able to come up with anything.  I get asked a lot of questions because of my internet presence.

Yesterday a 14 year old asked me on one of my websites about an itchy scalp and some sores on their head and they were afraid to tell their parents because it might be bed bugs.  I assured them it didn't sound like bed bugs and some likely causes.

It's very difficult getting those kinds of questions from a complete stranger who is a kid online and who doesn't want to talk to their parents.  Very difficult because you want to encourage them to seek help but don't know how to deal with the parent situation.  They didn't say what country they lived in but I gave them the Canadian Kids Help Phone number.

I get questions about cameras that take a lot of work to answer but I usually try even if I have to do some research.

And I get asked questions about physics that are sometimes over my head but usually try to give it a shot.

I guess with more than a dozen web sites I'm open to questions and just deal with it.

10. Jaymeyaroch profile image59
    Jaymeyarochposted 13 years ago

When someone asks me how old I think they are my answer is invariably, "18.  Give or take a day."

It always makes them smile.

The question I dread the most is, "Are you OK?"

What seems like an innocent question about the status of someone's well-being actually contains several properties of assumption and insinuation.

By asking me you are doing several things:
    First you are indicating that I am in a state that is not 'ok' and therefore invalidating your question from the beginning.  Whatever external stimulus prompted the asking of the question can reasonably be construed as evidence of one 'not being ok.'
    Second you are indicating that I am incapable of recognizing this particular state that lacks my well-being, and thus indicating that I am incapable of a plethora of other things, including personal maintenance.
    Third the question is too general to be polite, creating a lack of commitment in its asking and a lack of commitment to doing anything if the answer is averse.
    Fourth, as part of the third bit, is that because of its generality this question is a terror to answer.  If you say 'yes' then you are lying, and that is wrong, and if you say 'no' you may be leaving yourself open to being ignored, hurt again, or worse, helped by someone you didn't want to help you.

Of course, that is just my interpretation of the question, and I fully recognize that at any time the person asking it could be genuine and sincere in their commitment to helping the person in question.

I just feel that it is very unlikely that I know any of those good people.

11. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 13 years ago

"Does this make me look fat?"

The surest way to either getting your face smashed with a foreign object, an emotional eruption, or the cold shoulder for several days.

12. perfectperception profile image61
    perfectperceptionposted 13 years ago

I hate when a guy asks "Can I be your special friend?", after I've already told him I'm taken. lol! What is that?

13. kallini2010 profile image81
    kallini2010posted 13 years ago

Well, well, well.  Apparently we lack communication skills. Innocent/loaded questions frighten us and we had no idea how to handle them.  "It's better to lie than give some honest (?) opinion".

I am not saying I am better.  I used to overreact to the phrase "You are beautiful!"  And that it is not a question.  It just made me so uncomfortable.  Somebody helped me with this simple scenario.  Once memorized, comes to mind and mouth automatically without anguish.

"You are beautiful!"

1. Thank you. (Acceptance)
    2. I know. (Dismissal)
    3. Go jump in the lake. (Extreme cases).

We need to pinpoint our the most dreaded questions and stop agonizing every time they are asked.  That is my opinion, anyway.

When I was younger (in my teens), there was a question that could not be answered.

"Are you in love with such and such?"

If you say "yes", it is a confirmation, but if you say "no" it's a dead giveaway!

So, "Are you in love with such and such?"

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Maybe
    4. None of the above.
    5 All of the above.
    6. Does it matter?

"Your question makes me uncomfortable, so pick the answer yourself."  "No, I would not buy that dress, it is not  really flattering, but it is your decision."

"I am not OK, thank you for asking, but I think I can handle it."  Can I?

14. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 13 years ago

Why don't you eat meat?  It seems like a simple enough question, but 1) I don't like to proselytize, 2) I consider it a serious subject that can't be answered glibly, and 3) It's a boring subject.

15. LABrashear profile image61
    LABrashearposted 12 years ago

How about "You got a minute to talk?" or "Can we talk?"  Those are never good conversations!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)