Why do you believe so many natural disasters are occurring?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Edoka Writes profile image60
    Edoka Writesposted 13 years ago

Why do you believe so many natural disasters are occurring?

2. Donna Suthard profile image60
    Donna Suthardposted 13 years ago

yes! I would believe it. We will have more devastating earthquakes  tsunami's, volcanic eruptions, floods, droughts, and hurricanes..Its been predicted by Edgar Cayce and others. All thoughts put out in the world come about on some level..At some point  a nuclear device will be set off in the future. it will be a lesson in forgiveness..

3. Alexander Pease profile image60
    Alexander Peaseposted 13 years ago

Approx. every 15,000 years seismic activity in the Earth's crust and mantle accelerate. This caused climate changes and other, various effects in the world. Tectonic plates can be responsible for many natural disasters, for many disasters happen near and around fault lines.

4. n.pady profile image57
    n.padyposted 13 years ago

it is common for disasters to occur. we have no control over them. a planet without disasters has not been seen till date.

5. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 13 years ago

I think the answer lies in your question.

It's a 'natural' part of life. Ours, and the planet's.

Because it's natural, there's also no way of telling whether the number of disasters we're seeing, can accurately be described as 'so many'.

Who knows, there may be so more to come that we look back on this period as one characterised as having had 'so few'.

I certainly hope that's not the case.

Like many other people living within the area of a recent disaster, but not directly affected, I count my blessings every day; but at the same time, can't help wondering what's next....

6. saanj H profile image60
    saanj Hposted 13 years ago

hi

Natural disasters are bound to happen. No one has a control on them. The only things that are within the control of mankind is the man made disaster (global warming). We as human beings can preserve the nature and curtail the pollution that causes the global warming that puts the living species on earth on the verge of extinction.

Natural disasters are occurring as a result of disruptions in the earth's atmosphere. and its crust too.

7. profile image0
    Erik S.posted 13 years ago

Well, I'm not trying to turn this all religiony or whatever... Because they are "natural disasters"... I'm just throwing this out there really as another point that I myself find interesting.

Jesus mention a couple of the signs of when he would return:
    Nation shall rise against nation (Libya) and there shall be earthquakes (Japan), famines, and pestilences. These are the beginning of sorrows.

I can't claim to understand God's will, but I think we can expect more of this stuff in the near future. But that's just me.

8. kakamano profile image58
    kakamanoposted 13 years ago

coz dooms day is near...there are many signs that climate will change and it will eventually destroy the earth .

9. Larry Fields profile image67
    Larry Fieldsposted 13 years ago

Good question, Edoka. Pardon me for stating the obvious, but natural disasters can only happen in areas where there are people to experience them.

Before people came to North America, for example, this continent had earthquakes, and the coastal areas had tsunamis. Moreover there were huge volcanic explosions that were hundreds of times more powerful than the PiƱatubo eruption in the Philippines in 1991. Two locations for these huge volcanic explosions: the Long Valley Caldera in Eastern California, and the Yellowstone National Park region. But we count them as events, rather than disasters, because they did not harm anyone.

Because the human population has increased dramatically during the current interglacial, a larger number of people are experiencing natural disasters than before. Of course, it all gets reported in the mass media. And because there are so many of us, it's not practical for everyone to live in relatively safe areas. In choosing where we want to live, it's necessary to take some calculated risks.

If the human population was smaller, and everyone made wise decisions about where to build their houses, the probability of some particular family being touched by a natural disaster would also be somewhat smaller.

Interestingly, the worldwide frequency of hurricanes has declined since Katrina.

Side note. I don't expect the recent disaster in Japan to affect decisions about nuclear power in inland areas. The reactors in Japan went into an automatic shutdown mode, just as they were designed to do. However the original design did not take tsunamis into account. There will undoubtedly be stronger safety standards for nuclear power plants in coastal areas of the Pacific Rim. This region is very prone to earthquakes, and especially to the tsunamis that they spawn.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)