Is God sovereign or do we truly have a free will?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Jangaplanet profile image60
    Jangaplanetposted 13 years ago

Is God sovereign or do we truly have a free will?

2. Clotier Nailing profile image60
    Clotier Nailingposted 13 years ago

I believe God is sovereign...
    He can do what He wants....
    Eighter way it goes , what counts is He is the Alpha and the Omega ;and yes, I believes this makes out to be Him to be Sovereigh over all ...

3. Unbidden Wrath profile image60
    Unbidden Wrathposted 13 years ago

Both.

The fact that we aren't at absolute liberty to do as we wish doesn't contradict free will.

4. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

GOD is sovereign and we do  truly have a free will. GOD knows what chooses that we will make in our life without interfering with it in any way that would changed the outcome that would not be free will in a individual life on the earth. You see GOD knows what every person will choose and the motives behind their choice. You can not fool GOD and pull a slick Willy over his eyes and say GOD made me do it and I had no choice in the matter like the angels in heaven but the angels choice is to serve and obey GOD or immediately suffer the consequence because they know better because of how GOD created them with the knowledge and foreknowledge of what the consequences will be because of their unique abilities of carrying out their duties on GOD'S behalf on the earth and throughout the universe. Take me for example: GOD given me a vision on August 1, 1982 A.D. a Sunday morning the other side of death. I did not seek for this vision but GOD given me this vision because my heart had cry out to do his perfect will in my life on the earth from the motives of a sincere heart. So GOD since he knew that I will complete the destiny and purpose for my life given to me by GOD of which I am doing now through my 1 article and answering questions on hubpages and doing it glorifying GOD to perfection as he wanted it to be done in the way that I am doing it. I am bold and speak with authority on GOD'S behalf and have backed it up with my 1 article that is the greatest on the earth with it being seen around the world in 8 countries and growing wildly all over the world of which you can not see this miracle article because GOD knows that you will reject it and have put my article in the right hands through 100 percent referring sites for the right people who wants to see it and be blessed by it see it first before anyone else see it who are the naysayers and by the time you or others naysayers see it then it will be too late to stop it, copy it, spam it, or steal it because by then it will already have become the greatest article on the earth and stand side by side with the holy bible. There will be nothing you can do to destroy it and will be the greatest throughout all generations along with the holy bible to be a sign post for all human beings in their life on the earth. AMEN.

5. Zubair Ahmed profile image74
    Zubair Ahmedposted 13 years ago

I think these are two different elements of life, God is sovereign but we have free will. The free will allows us to be good or bad, choose path a or b and based on what path we take and how we choose to conduct our lives will influence the result we achieve in the life hereafter.

6. vinnielee2010 profile image61
    vinnielee2010posted 13 years ago

Does God know what we will do before we do it ? This is the hardest question out there.  If he does then how do we have free will?  And, if we have free will then why does God not take part more in ourlife??  We have the choice God knows the choice that we will make, but we still need to make them.  To ask if God is sovereign, you first have to have faith in Him next you need to say that you trust in your belief.  Free will will be what choice do you make is it one that reflects your faith or do you choose to float or even rebel? 

Answer yes God is sovereign
    But we have to use free will to choose him over the other things in life
    So it depends on who it is how sovereign he is in your life does your will let him in totally or do you let him in at all
    What you choose does not effect God I just effects Your relationship with God
    later Vinnie

7. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

neither. we are just us. we have our lives to live and there are no outside influences that dictate or control how we live. if we make mistakes , we are to blame and if we do good, we are the ones who did it. i don't call what we have free will because it is just a religious term to add glory to some god's so-called greatness.

8. Thesource profile image67
    Thesourceposted 13 years ago

Actually both God's sovereignty and man's free is consistent with one another.

Our free-will is willed by God's sovereign will.

9. jcnasia profile image61
    jcnasiaposted 13 years ago

Yes and yes.  Do I contradict myself?  Probably.

10. proactrdv profile image60
    proactrdvposted 13 years ago

While you may have a free will God will punish you later but the law won't. Everyone has a free will up to a point. That he can get away with and that that does not draw a response.

11. PlanksandNails profile image80
    PlanksandNailsposted 13 years ago

Biblically,these verses pretty much sum up your question.

The LORD God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”
    Genesis 16:17

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
    John 3:16

12. profile image32
    saisarannagaposted 12 years ago

If you believe that you are a free and independent individual, then we can say that you have got a "Free Will". But all human beings irrespective of their status, education, position and power do depend upon their spouses and friends. Hence invariably, his thoughts will be guided by or influenced by the interests of others! When we are subservient to some, how can we say we are free and independent individual. Only God is FREE and sovereign. He only possess free-will and not human beings!

13. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 12 years ago

Who said anyone has a free will........ more like a free choice....

Deu 30:19       I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Mat 7:14       Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

14. dmop profile image81
    dmopposted 12 years ago

I believe that God is sovereign, yet he does not know the choices we will make. God is sovereign, he is omniscient, he does know all, and we can still have free will. We can still examine everything from a scientific view to gain a better understanding of our world. We can choose to ponder philosophical ideas, or just accept what were told and go on about our business. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)