Are you taking drugs for bi-polar manic depression?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 12 years ago

Are you taking drugs for bi-polar manic depression?

If you are do you have a difficult time staying on your meds when you go on an upswing?

2. profile image0
    lcbenefieldposted 12 years ago

I do not take bi-polar meds, but my husband does.  His medication is adjusted on a regular basis just to try and keep him stable.  In fact, we were at the doctor today where one med was cut and another one was added.  When he is on an upswing, yes, he gets to feeling like he can quit taking his medications.  But, he does realize that's not a good thing when I remind him what happened in the past when he has quit his bi-polar medications.  That's what keeps him on his medication regimen, he doesn't want to go back into the bottom.  He hates having to depend on medication to live a semi-"normal" life but he also wants to live the best quality life he can.  He knows with his bi-polar medications, he has a better chance at a "normal" life.

3. unvrso profile image84
    unvrsoposted 12 years ago

antidepressant discontinuation syndrome refers to a set of symptoms( flu like symptoms, disturbing thoughts) that appear when you stop taking the medication. It usually occurs inthose who suddenly quit the medication, One out of five people who take antidepressants for up to six weeks will experience the symptoms if they stop taking the medicine.

4. sassyk73 profile image71
    sassyk73posted 12 years ago

Yes, I take meds for bipolar. I am on an upswing now but I will not stop taking them because I am stable. I know for sure that if I go off of my meds, I will get out of control and go back into the hospital again. I hate having to take so many pills but I don't want to take that risk.

5. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

Yes I take meds - depakote, risperdal & lexipro. I mood/med chart. You can find free mood chart sites on the web or create your own using excel or similar. I highly recommend it and using it with your pdoc = psychiatrist or tdoc = therapist. Between myself & these professionals in my life we were successful at lowering my depakote from 1750mg to 1000mg, risperdal to a maintenance level & as a PRN, and finally a anti-depressant that overall helps my BP symptoms and associated other symptoms that become exasperated with mood swings - PTSD & OC(p)D particularly. The risperdal is used as a PRN with upswings. Remember this is "MY" experience. I HIGHLY recommend mood/med charting.

(Standard Medical Disclaimer HERE)

Tim

GO to Crazy Boards forum for more information from others with this dxd = diagnosis.

6. MyMind'sMischief profile image59
    MyMind'sMischiefposted 12 years ago

My diagnosis is as follows; bipolar, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder. I have always had mental issues first showing as a teenager. I was not a cutter per say but I did use stick pins. I knew my mother would see cut marks but would overlook pin marks. When I turned 18 years old, I began getting tattoos then piercings. In my mid twenties, I had a break down. The doctors started me on medications, the problem, and my symptoms were worse with the medications instead of making them better. December 2003, I consumed enough of an anti anxiety medication to kill a horse. The E.R. pumped my stomach and sent me home. January 2004, I again consumed a deadly amount of medication. This time the E.R. pumped my stomach then after a week of waiting, I went to an inpatient facility. I did not have insurance therefore; I was moved when a bed came open in the state facility. When I was released, I was taking eight different medications. For two years I had no feelings but continuously having suicidal thoughts, which my husband kept my medications under lock and key to prevent. In November 2006, my health insurance lapsed therefore leaving me with no medication. After two months of withdrawals and constant mood swings, I finally leveled out. Now I use meditation instead of medication. The only time I have ever had suicidal thoughts were when I was taking medication. Although I have still had, the symptoms of my diagnosis I strive to keep them at bay. However, I am not endorsing anyone to stop his or her medications without the supervision and care of a doctor. WARNING: Stopping mental health/bipolar medications “cold turkey” has serious risk and should not be done without the supervision of a medical professional.

7. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 12 years ago

I was given sodium valparate in January and lamictal 4 may but both caused bad side affects so took myself off them. I continued to take matazapine which i have been on for years now along side citralapram and diazipam. A while ago i did take myself of my med's a few times but my body is so dependent on the matazapine my body could't take it. I tried 3 times. I think i was on a bit of an upswing to be honest. x

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)